Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH, I Love My Children! LOL
JJPlaycare 11:35 AM 08-17-2010
I feel like my 5 year old who will be turning 6 in December and starting Kindergarten is really 5 going on 6 MONTHS! She has been sooooooo testy it is driving me crazy, she is throwing temper tantrums like no other this week and really I am going to send her to Kindergarten! I know she won't act like this there, but good grief she is driving me bonkers! She is so sassy about everything all the little things, she just can't seem to let them go! If it isn't her way at daycare it is a kicking, screaming tantrum! I just put her in her room and let her throw it! I have never let her get away with behavior like this, so I am not sure why all of a sudden she thinks her attitude, sassyness baby behavior is going to get her anything now!!

My 3 year old who is going to be 4 in Jan is doing the same thing! She has been potty trained since before she was 2 so well over a year and suddenly she doesn't want to go potty by herself, she needs me in there with her and she acts like she can't pull up her pants or wipe herself, it has been like battle royal around here with these two! I obviously cannot drop everything during daycare to go assist her everytime she needs to use the potty!

I thought they were needing my attention so I have been giving them my one on one each evening, but I am getting so irritated with their behavior! I am going to resort to no fun things or extra attention because their behavior isn't getting any better with the added attention, it is like they don't even care or know any different!

Maybe it is me and I am running out of patients with them, just seems like they both are getting at me and not doing things they use to do and acting like babies, it is seriously driving me crazy!!
DCMomOf3 11:40 AM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
My 3 year old who is going to be 4 in Jan is doing the same thing! She has been potty trained since before she was 2 so well over a year and suddenly she doesn't want to go potty by herself, she needs me in there with her and she acts like she can't pull up her pants or wipe herself, it has been like battle royal around here with these two! I obviously cannot drop everything during daycare to go assist her everytime she needs to use the potty!
My 3-year-old just got through a stage of this, and by saying "just" I mean last week. LOL. I feel your pain. I think the summer has been long enough , for me and them, and I can't wait for school to start.
grandmom 01:02 PM 08-17-2010
Your 5YO's behavior is perfectly normal. The only thing you didn't mention is that she's playing doctor! lol. Really, the summer before K is so very stressful for them. They just can't contain it and they don't have the coping skills to calm themselves down.

Play low-key about school. Encourage her that she will do fine. Take her to the school and let her walk the halls, play on the playground, find the office and the bathroom. That will help her a great deal.

The younger child is just following suit with the stress felt by the older one.

My K (now 24 and getting married) had full blown, hour long tantrums every night of K. Put us into family counseling. Turns out her K teacher held her on a pedestal and told the class to act like her because her behavior was so perfect. She held in all that stress at school, and let it all out at home. Her teacher was shocked when we told her what was happening at home.

Good luck. School starts soon......
GretasLittleFriends 05:01 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Good luck. School starts soon......
22 days until school starts (here) !! Yes I'm counting down. My ds starts kindergarten then, and it's all day every day. I'm not sure who is more excited, me or him.
JJPlaycare 05:59 AM 08-18-2010
Thank you guys for the encouragment! I was just having a mom moment! LOL I call it the "Mom Factor" ya know when kids act like angels all day and them mom shows up and we see a whole different side of each child! Well unfortanatelly I am with my children all day, everyday and the "Mom Factor" seems to appear quite often! LOL Yes I guess I never really tied it to school starting...... She will be going all day, everyday as well! She has been waking up at night and asking to snuggle, she is 5 and really hasn't done this for years unless she has been sick or something along those lines! I guess this could all be attributed to nerves and the unknown! She is very mature for her age always has been, but lately Oh man...... I guess I will just tie it to the school thing, it is like she wants to grow up and do all of the big kid stuff, but scared to let go of all the little kid stuff, which is understandable and a part of growing up!!

I remember my older daughter going through the same thing as my younger one with the entire potty thing and I remember my neighbor girl doing the same thing at the same age for her mother! I guess it is just a frusterating phase to have to go through!

I am sure I will miss all of this when they are grown up and not needing me to take them to the potty or wanting snuggles at night! I am sure I will miss the tantrums as well when the house is empty and silent when they are all grown and moved away, I guess I was just having a moment and need to take one day at a time and try to enjoy it as much as I can and stop wishing these phases away!! Thanks again everyone I appreciate your support and knowledge!! Have a good day!!
JJPlaycare 06:04 AM 08-18-2010
That is funny you say about your son being put up on a pedastool at school and dealing with him when he got home... My daughters preschool teacher at her conference told us that if she had a whole classroom full of Zoes she wouldn't have a job!! I guess we know we are raising our kids right when we know they will behave well for everyone else!! I wanted to say, ummm Zoe, like my Zoe - do you have the right file/kid out! LOL Sure makes you proud though when you hear people say these kind of things about your children!
emosks 06:05 AM 08-18-2010
I am right there with you but I have a 5 1/2, 4, and 20 month old. The older two boys are driving me nuts!!! So mouthy but from talking with other parents..it's normal. NOT what I wanted to hear!!
Tags:great children, happy, positive
Reply Up