Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Completely Baffled!
Neekie 07:50 AM 10-27-2014
I just don't know what to think of this situation. I thought maybe somebody might have an idea of what could of happened. Last Friday afternoon my 2 year old dcg was sitting on the floor playing. All that was on the floor were six small plastic cars that she had taken out of a bucket of cars which she had sitting right next to her. She was running the cars back and forth on the floor in front of her. She was kind of sitting on her knees with her knees bent and her feet behind her...not W fashion though. Then I called her to come to me so that I could put her on the potty and make sure she was dry before her mother came. So she got up off the floor and took three steps, grabbed her left knee just below the knee cap, starting crying in pain, and sat back down on the floor. She didn't trip, stumble, twist her leg, or do anything that I saw that could of hurt her except the cover to the car bucket was on the floor and she did step on that...I don't allow covers on the floor, but my assistant was watching her and didn't realize that. But she didn't slip or anything when she stepped on the cover. It's just a flat cover...shouldn't have hurt her. After that she could not stand or walk. She kept wanting me to hold her leg out straight and she was crying in pain. Her mother took right to the doctor. Two doctors looked at her and they both said she was really in pain, but they could not find a thing wrong with her. By the next day she was walking and running like normal. What could possibly have happened? WI gals, do I have to report this to my licenser since no injury was found at the doctor's office?
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Neekie:
I just don't know what to think of this situation. I thought maybe somebody might have an idea of what could of happened. Last Friday afternoon my 2 year old dcg was sitting on the floor playing. All that was on the floor were six small plastic cars that she had taken out of a bucket of cars which she had sitting right next to her. She was running the cars back and forth on the floor in front of her. She was kind of sitting on her knees with her knees bent and her feet behind her...not W fashion though. Then I called her to come to me so that I could put her on the potty and make sure she was dry before her mother came. So she got up off the floor and took three steps, grabbed her left knee just below the knee cap, starting crying in pain, and sat back down on the floor. She didn't trip, stumble, twist her leg, or do anything that I saw that could of hurt her except the cover to the car bucket was on the floor and she did step on that...I don't allow covers on the floor, but my assistant was watching her and didn't realize that. But she didn't slip or anything when she stepped on the cover. It's just a flat cover...shouldn't have hurt her. After that she could not stand or walk. She kept wanting me to hold her leg out straight and she was crying in pain. Her mother took right to the doctor. Two doctors looked at her and they both said she was really in pain, but they could not find a thing wrong with her. By the next day she was walking and running like normal. What could possibly have happened? WI gals, do I have to report this to my licenser since no injury was found at the doctor's office?
Hmm, that is odd.

Personally, I would document what happened (including the fact that there was NO incident and no injury found) and have mom sign it too.

I would file it in child's file and leave it at that.

I've had a couple kids experience some really odd "growing pain" type aches/pains and it seems to always be around the lower leg area and seems to happen mostly to the 2-3 yr olds.

If she is acting fine now, she is probably just fine.

Her leg may actually have fallen asleep and the "pins and needles" feeling when it wakes up is often VERY painful (dependent of course of the "drama-level" of the child). kwim?

I'd also maybe add at the end of this week, any documentation about the child's behavior and whether she acted fine all week or not.

HTH
Annalee 08:40 AM 10-27-2014
Maybe it was a cramp????
Baby Beluga 08:42 AM 10-27-2014
I have something similar happen to me throughout my older childhood to adult years.

Sometimes when I am sitting on the floor and go to move or stand it feels like knee will either come out of it's socket (is that even possible?) or a tendon on the back of my knee will feel like it gets stuck. Similar to how your elbow feels if it comes out of it's socket (I also had that happen a LOT as a kid). I have been to the doc and they say my knees are fine. When it happens I can't really bend or move my leg. I basically have to take my hands sort of twist to the right and then straighten my leg for it to work it's self out. It is painful but only for a few seconds and then I am fine.
crazydaycarelady 08:43 AM 10-27-2014
Or her leg fell asleep?
KatiesCorner 09:12 AM 10-27-2014
My (adult) sister went through a phase where her knee cap would pop out of place when she squatted down and stood back up. The doctor showed her how to get it back in place on her own, and she avoiding squatting down for a while and it stopped happening after a while. Perhaps DCG's knee cap was out if alignment for a while, but settled back in over night. Or let lingering pain after settling that faded away eventually. How random though.
CraftyMom 09:13 AM 10-27-2014
I was also thinking her leg fell asleep, but it wouldn't be still hurting at the doctor's office. Odd
Shell 09:13 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hmm, that is odd.

Personally, I would document what happened (including the fact that there was NO incident and no injury found) and have mom sign it too.

I would file it in child's file and leave it at that.

I've had a couple kids experience some really odd "growing pain" type aches/pains and it seems to always be around the lower leg area and seems to happen mostly to the 2-3 yr olds.

If she is acting fine now, she is probably just fine.

Her leg may actually have fallen asleep and the "pins and needles" feeling when it wakes up is often VERY painful (dependent of course of the "drama-level" of the child). kwim?

I'd also maybe add at the end of this week, any documentation about the child's behavior and whether she acted fine all week or not.

HTH

KiddieCahoots 09:38 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by KatiesCorner:
My (adult) sister went through a phase where her knee cap would pop out of place when she squatted down and stood back up. The doctor showed her how to get it back in place on her own, and she avoiding squatting down for a while and it stopped happening after a while. Perhaps DCG's knee cap was out if alignment for a while, but settled back in over night. Or let lingering pain after settling that faded away eventually. How random though.
My right knee did this for a little bit when I was a kid too, but it was after I had a bad fall that damaged my knee.
Unregistered 10:58 AM 10-27-2014
Do loose or hypermobile joints run in the family? Maybe things popped out of alignment for a bit, but worked themselves back into place.
Heidi 11:05 AM 10-27-2014

YES!!!!!!!!!

Please send an injury report right away, and document in your medical log.

My sister was once sited for "failure to report the death or injury of a child" because after bumping his head, mom took him to the doc. as a precaution. Doc said "he's fine", Sis didn't report it, and yeah...

That was in the days when there was no DCF website, so parents didn't see the citation or her side of it, but if anyone called licensing to check for non-compliances, they would have been told the citation without explanation.

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/forms/pdf/dcf_f_cfs0055.pdf

" The licensee / certified provider shall report any death of a child in care, or any incident or accident that occurs while the child
is in care that results in an injury that requires professional medical treatment
. Licensee shall notify the department within 48 hours of
becoming aware of the medical treatment. Certified provider shall notify the certifying agency as soon as possible but no later than the
agency’s next working day. Submit a completed form to the regional licensing / certification office."

They consider SEEKING medical treatment enough, even if nothing was done.
Neekie 11:13 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Maybe it was a cramp????
I thought about it maybe being a possible Charlie Horse type of thing. With that type of cramp the more a person tenses up worse it gets and of course she was tensing up cause it hurt and she was scared.
Neekie 11:16 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have something similar happen to me throughout my older childhood to adult years.

Sometimes when I am sitting on the floor and go to move or stand it feels like knee will either come out of it's socket (is that even possible?) or a tendon on the back of my knee will feel like it gets stuck. Similar to how your elbow feels if it comes out of it's socket (I also had that happen a LOT as a kid). I have been to the doc and they say my knees are fine. When it happens I can't really bend or move my leg. I basically have to take my hands sort of twist to the right and then straighten my leg for it to work it's self out. It is painful but only for a few seconds and then I am fine.
I too thought maybe her knee had come out of joint. And she wanted me to hold it straight which would be in line with straightening the leg for the knee to work itself back into place.
Neekie 11:19 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by KatiesCorner:
I really do think this is what happened and it was probably back in place by the time the doctor looked at it, but she would of still been in pain yet.
Neekie 11:22 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do loose or hypermobile joints run in the family? Maybe things popped out of alignment for a bit, but worked themselves back into place.
We thought about this and they don't know if it runs in the family anywhere, but they are going to look into it now and have the doctor do some tests to see if she in fact does have loose joints.
Neekie 11:28 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
[/b]

YES!!!!!!!!!

Please send an injury report right away, and document in your medical log.

My sister was once sited for "failure to report the death or injury of a child" because after bumping his head, mom took him to the doc. as a precaution. Doc said "he's fine", Sis didn't report it, and yeah...

That was in the days when there was no DCF website, so parents didn't see the citation or her side of it, but if anyone called licensing to check for non-compliances, they would have been told the citation without explanation.

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/forms/pdf/dcf_f_cfs0055.pdf

" The licensee / certified provider shall report any death of a child in care, or any incident or accident that occurs while the child
is in care that results in an injury that requires professional medical treatment
. Licensee shall notify the department within 48 hours of
becoming aware of the medical treatment. Certified provider shall notify the certifying agency as soon as possible but no later than the
agency’s next working day. Submit a completed form to the regional licensing / certification office."

They consider SEEKING medical treatment enough, even if nothing was done.
Well, Heidi! It all got taken care of this morning. After reading your post, I was just about to call my licenser and as I was picking up the phone, here she is standing on my front porch knocking on the door. LOL And so I told her what happened. That child is here today and so she could see that she was running all around and acting completely normal today. She told me to make out a written report and fax it to her office this afternoon just to be on the safe side in case something comes of this later on. And then I will not be in trouble for not notifying her.
Heidi 12:54 PM 10-27-2014
Well, Heidi! It all got taken care of this morning. After reading your post, I was just about to call my licenser and as I was picking up the phone, here she is standing on my front porch knocking on the door. LOL And so I told her what happened. That child is here today and so she could see that she was running all around and acting completely normal today. She told me to make out a written report and fax it to her office this afternoon just to be on the safe side in case something comes of this later on. And then I will not be in trouble for not notifying her.

Good timing, eh?
Reply Up