Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>YAY! Got My 1st DCK! Now I Can Officially OPEN! :)
Christina72684 06:47 PM 06-09-2011
I planned on opening this past Monday, but didn't have any kids. I had about 5-6 families telling me that they'd like to bring their kids, but no real commitments. I was getting really worried that it would continue this way for a while, but I just got a call and I have a 5 year old boy starting Monday! So it's gonna be him, me, and my 3month old daughter. I hope it's awkward and he doesn't get bored. Any advice for things to do with just us?

I'm so excited, and nervous at the same time! Finally opening my own daycare!!!
Cat Herder 07:12 PM 06-09-2011
Sounds like you are starting the way I did....

I only took school aged kids when mine were babies. It was wonderful and fun.

With older kids you can do the cheap summer movie theater program, library trips, local pool, bowling, parks, plant a garden, build bird houses, etc... I miss that aspect of bigger kids.

The older you get the less you will like keeping SA's, though, IMHO.

Congrats and Good luck!!
Abigail 05:58 PM 06-10-2011
Do you have any pictures of your daycare space? I'm sure you've got some activites to do. The boy is old enough to ask him what he likes to do. Have you met him at the interview? Just make sure you're firm on your rules. The only thing I don't like about older kids is they say "I don't need a nap" etc. when they really need one! I had a new three year old start today and it was weird because I had to explain the routine we have each step of the way. He did really well with all the other kids so I just kept forgetting he doesn't know we don't touch baby gates, go in the baby room, sit on the shelf, etc. LOL. You'll have fun and it'll be easier to interview letting parents know you have a 5 year old in your care as well as your infant. Are your rates above average or anything specific you think parents may not be enrolling?
Tags:first day, new daycare, opening
Reply Up