Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Livid!
kelsey's kids 10:34 AM 01-10-2014
6 year old tore a hole in my carpet today and then lied about it. She was playing on the floor with toys will I was cooking lunvh and pulled at the carpet until it came lose and created a huge hole. I dont wven know what to do. What would you guys do in this situation?
SilverSabre25 10:37 AM 01-10-2014
consequence/time out or loss of privilege. talk to mom. Girl maybe could write an apology letter to you

and something I am trying to take to heart: once is exploration (what will happen?), twice is experimentation (will it happen again?), three times is a pattern and needs addressed
Cat Herder 10:43 AM 01-10-2014
I have a child here with sensory issues that does this to all of my area/play carpets. I had to roll them up and put them in storage. Now I buy the cheap ones from the dollar store until this child heads off to kinder.

If this is wall to wall carpeting you are talking about, I'd guess there isn't much that can be done unless it has happened before.
Leigh 10:45 AM 01-10-2014
The child's parents would be paying to repair or replace the carpet. I address this in my handbook, and they sign an agreement to pay for intentional damage.
kelsey's kids 10:47 AM 01-10-2014
Yea this is my livingroom carpet. There is nothing to be done expect replace it because the hole is just going to get worse now that it is there. Should I talk to the parents? Have the replace? I have in my contract that if something is destroyed on purpose than it is their responsibility to repair or replace.
craftymissbeth 10:47 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The child's parents would be paying to repair or replace the carpet. I address this in my handbook, and they sign an agreement to pay for intentional damage.

This wasn't a 3 year old... a 6year old (assuming there are no delays) definitely knows better.
kelsey's kids 10:47 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:423914:
We must have been typing at the same time lol
kelsey's kids 10:48 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:423917:

This wasn't a 3 year old... a 6year old (assuming there are no delays) definitely knows better.
No delays at all perfect functioning
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:58 AM 01-10-2014
I had a 5yo that would hook a toy (like the leg of a dollhouse person) on a loop of carpet and pull and unravel it so there would be a bare spot. I was so upset! It's wall-to-wall carpet! The only way to fix it is to replace it!

I showed dcm the damage. He was in BIG trouble. But he did it a 2nd time anyway, and I termed. I was not going to let him cost me $4000 in carpet. We parted on good terms, as I explained he needed to be in an environment where there was more supervision and provider-directed activities all day and no free-play (it's just me, and I gotta cook or use the bathroom at some point!). Dcm enrolled him early at the place by his elementary school where he was going to go for before/after care when he started Kindy in the fall.
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 01-10-2014
No judgement.... please don't take it that way. Deep breath.

****It can be then turned around on you as her not having been properly supervised.

It is much easier to win this type of argument with a parent if there is an established pattern.

Typically this would be considered "the cost of business".

I am not telling you this to be rude or minimize your frustration. I just know this is how these things usually go.

Dents in the wall, torn linoleum from chairs, broken toys, scraped up hardwoods... all happen here, too.
Neekie 11:28 AM 01-10-2014
Do you have any leftover carpet pieces? Is it the type of carpet that could be patched without showing very much if it hasn't faded too much? We have rental property and we have done this many times if the rest of the carpet is good. We have had to patch holes from cigarette burns, chemical spills, and pulled threads. We have also patched in pieces where carpet was stained and smelled of cat urine. It would be cheaper to hire someone who knows how to lay carpets to put a patch in for you than to replace the whole carpet. I don't know. Just a thought.
MissAnn 11:34 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
Yea this is my livingroom carpet. There is nothing to be done expect replace it because the hole is just going to get worse now that it is there. Should I talk to the parents? Have the replace? I have in my contract that if something is destroyed on purpose than it is their responsibility to repair or replace.
Is it now a tripping hazard?
crazydaycarelady 11:36 AM 01-10-2014
If you have a leftover piece or even a piece from under the couch or something it can be replaced. I know because our puppy chewed a hole in our carpet. Hubby cut a square around the hole and removed it then glued a new square in. It looks great and has lasted for years.
MissAnn 11:37 AM 01-10-2014
Maybe insurance will pay?
Annalee 11:38 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No judgement.... please don't take it that way. Deep breath.

****It can be then turned around on you as her not having been properly supervised.

It is much easier to win this type of argument with a parent if there is an established pattern.

Typically this would be considered "the cost of business".

I am not telling you this to be rude or minimize your frustration. I just know this is how these things usually go.

Dents in the wall, torn linoleum from chairs, broken toys, scraped up hardwoods... all happen here, too.
A few years ago a little boy kicked out the outside lights that shined on our house at night. I was livid as well and luckily I did not see it till the child had gone and a parent told me as she come in what had happened. I had time to "cool off" and think about it. I did discuss with the parent how when they walked out the dc door I expected supervision and this was a costly issue for me. The parent could see my frustration and probably some anger as well. The problem never happened again thankfully. The child was 4 at the time and I loved him (had had him since he was six weeks old as well as his older sister), but he had some loss of playtime and consequences as well. Now that I have two sons of my own, it is humbling to know that things do happen but they can be teachable moments for accountability/responsibility for who we are.
kelsey's kids 11:59 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:423961:
If you have a leftover piece or even a piece from under the couch or something it can be replaced. I know because our puppy chewed a hole in our carpet. Hubby cut a square around the hole and removed it then glued a new square in. It looks great and has lasted for years.
We are planning on moving soon and selling the house so i probably shoulnt pull a piece from under the couch but maybe the closet would work.
sharlan 12:05 PM 01-10-2014
I would glue the edges until you can repair it.

Sadly, it's just the cost of doing daycare. I can guarantee the parents aren't going to replace your carpet.

Kids do stupid things when you turn your back.
Neekie 12:06 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Yes, you wouldn't even have to worry about a perfect match if you can cut a piece from an area where it won't show as much, like back in a corner or under a piece of furniture and then have your dh or someone glue it in for you. You could possibly get an old carpet sample from a carpet store that matches your carpet close enough not to stand out so that you could patch in where you cut the carpet out and it won't matter if it is not a perfect match cause it is in a place where it will not be seen. When you patch it in though be careful that the nap of the carpet lays the same or it will show.
Neekie 12:10 PM 01-10-2014
I just saw your post about selling soon. Yeah, then I would take a piece out of the closet and then fix the hole in the closet carpet with a piece from a carpet sample from a store that is a close match if you can.
Neekie 12:12 PM 01-10-2014
The parents wouldn't buy a whole new carpet, but they might agree to pay for someone to come in and patch it for you.
lovemykidstoo 12:17 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Neekie:
I just saw your post about selling soon. Yeah, then I would take a piece out of the closet and then fix the hole in the closet carpet with a piece from a carpet sample from a store that is a close match if you can.
This is what I would do.

Curious, how big is the spot?
kelsey's kids 01:45 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:423992:
Originally Posted by Neekie:
This is what I would do.

Curious, how big is the spot?
The spot is a little bigger than a fifty cent piece so not huge but still
Blackcat31 05:26 PM 01-10-2014
What did the parent say when they picked up?
lovemykidstoo 04:11 AM 01-11-2014
The spot is a little bigger than a fifty cent piece so not huge but still
That's big enough! I would not be happy. Be one thing from a toddler, but a 6 yr old? no way. What did mom/dad say?
kelsey's kids 07:10 AM 01-11-2014
Not much as soon as the parents walked in the child started crying hysticaly because they know that if they get in trouble at daycare they get in more trouble at home. I am waiting to see what or if they say anything Monday
lovemykidstoo 07:18 AM 01-11-2014
Not much as soon as the parents walked in the child started crying hysticaly because they know that if they get in trouble at daycare they get in more trouble at home. I am waiting to see what or if they say anything Monday
Maybe you could take a picture of it and email it to the parents and tell them what their daughter did. That way you don't have to be interrupted by the child. Sometimes it's easier to discuss a problem that way too if you're nervous about the conversation.
Mister Sir Husband 01:30 PM 01-11-2014
Same as this in my contract. Wear and tear or accidental breakage is fine. Stuff done intentionally is on the parents
Maria2013 02:33 PM 01-11-2014
6 year old tore a hole in my carpet today and then lied about it. She was playing on the floor with toys will I was cooking lunvh and pulled at the carpet until it came lose and created a huge hole. I dont wven know what to do. What would you guys do in this situation?
sorry
Tags:damages, destructive behavior, fees, reimbursement
Reply Up