Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With Kids When The Food Lady Comes?
newtodaycare22 04:07 PM 02-10-2011
I'm getting a 'surprise' visit from the food program tomorrow. What do you guys to entertain your kids while you do the paperwork? I have all 3-5 year olds and the last few times, I lucked out. First time, I only had 2 kids that day and they just played nice. Second time, she came at nap. I'm hoping my 6 preschoolers tomorrow don't go nuts because they don't have my attention.
MissAnn 04:09 PM 02-10-2011
My food lady just lets me attend to my business and asks me a few questions. She spreads her stuff all over the table though and that's where I need to have the kids eat.
daycare 04:16 PM 02-10-2011
my food lady was nice. she just watched me work and when the kids got a little crazy, she said well I think I better get going so that you can do your job. I had already served the kids when she announced that.

My kids did tend to go a little crazy as expected, but I think that they are also used to it...

I did prep the kids and told that a lady was coming to the house today to make sure they are all eating their food and that if they were on best behavior I would let them watch tv for 20 min....lol Yup i bribed them and it worked for the most part...
Unregistered 05:24 AM 02-11-2011
My kids are always crazy when my food program lady comes. I turn on some music and the kids have a dance party while she goes over things with me. If the visit lasts a while I turn off music and have some wind down time with books and finally a Tv show if necessary. The crave my attention when she is there so I do what works. Hopefully she understands.
Zoe 05:52 AM 02-11-2011
I've only ever met with my food program lady once, but one of the first things she said was this: "I understand how hard it is to have someone else in your house while you are trying to do your job. We're very used to interruptions and will always let you take care of the kids first."

I'm thinking that's universal, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. But maybe having a video or some sort of independent play set up during that time would help you out a little bit!
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 02-11-2011
Wow, I wish you guys could have my food lady! She entertains my kids while she is here. She always brings a book or puppets or craft for them and when she gets them settled in to whatever she brought, we get a chance to chat and when I have to go over or fill out paper work, she takes over facilitating the kids....She reads, she colors, she does finger puppet shows, etc.
My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE her and so do I! No matter what she has for me to sign, read, look over or whatever, she always takes the time to hold, snuggle or talk with each and all my kids. If she comes at a meal time, she even helps with prep or clean up and if the kiddos ar eating she sits and talks with them while they eat. Did I mention I LOVE her!!
newtodaycare22 09:04 AM 02-11-2011
The lady didn't show up! I had some late arrivals today and I had to rush to get them all to the post office (to mail valentines) and get back before 11. We made it with 15 minutes to spare and then she never showed. Ay ay ay.

I know it can be a surprise but they always tell me the time of day. They planned it during a time where I specifically say I'll be out of the house, so it's good they warned me. BUT, it'd be even better if they showed up
DCMom 09:08 AM 02-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow, I wish you guys could have my food lady! She entertains my kids while she is here. She always brings a book or puppets or craft for them and when she gets them settled in to whatever she brought, we get a chance to chat and when I have to go over or fill out paper work, she takes over facilitating the kids....She reads, she colors, she does finger puppet shows, etc.
My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE her and so do I! No matter what she has for me to sign, read, look over or whatever, she always takes the time to hold, snuggle or talk with each and all my kids. If she comes at a meal time, she even helps with prep or clean up and if the kiddos ar eating she sits and talks with them while they eat. Did I mention I LOVE her!!
Mine too! She used to be a provider, so she knows how it is
Tags:food program
Reply Up