Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting Lists...
mismatchedsocks 12:10 PM 10-06-2011
So I have recently become accredited, and I dont know if that is why or not but I am getting an abundance of calls for daycare, I filled an opening I had back in July. This opening was only until February 2012, since I had a mom who was expecting. This family lost their job last week, and kept daughter coming until Friday. I put an ad on craigslist for one day on Saturday just for opening from now until February. I filled it by Monday at noon. Girl started Tuesday.

I have gotten about 12 calls in the last 3 days, and my ad is off craigslist ( only kept up Saturday)

I have told all of them at this time I do not have an opening and almost all of them asked to be put FIRST on the waiting list.

How many of you have waiting lists, and seriously how long do people wait for a spot? I wonder how I should put people on this list, alphabetically, who called first. LOL.
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 10-06-2011
First come, first served.

I still get calls from folks who have been waiting over two years.

I am currently at 36 months wait as a sibling will be filling an exiting spot in two years.

Current clients get first billing, here, though.
Oneluckymom 08:12 PM 10-06-2011
Please tell me what magic you guys work to have waiting lists that long. Seriously what can I do here just starting out to make people love me that much? please share some pixie dust.
laundrymom 03:18 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Please tell me what magic you guys work to have waiting lists that long. Seriously what can I do here just starting out to make people love me that much? please share some pixie dust.
Truth,... I got involved with my levels and am becoming accredited. ( ugh that's a long wait!!) lol.

I filled my one opening within hours of telling my r&r of it and they waited 3 months on it to open.
Cat Herder 05:54 AM 10-07-2011
IMHO,

Consistent service over many years. Word of mouth is key. Do the hard work of building a reputation.

#1 rule of Advertising "People go with who they know, like and trust." Get out into your community so folks know your face.

Read "The Art of Leadership" by George Manning/Kent Curtis and "The Five Dysfunctions of A Team" by Patrick Lencioni. LIFE CHANGING. Levels the professional decks a bit for women, IMHO.

Very few terminations. Don't accept clients you KNOW won't work out. IME it may bring you a little bit of money now, but will COST the provider money AND reputation later.

Understanding that hands on childcare skill cannot be found in a book, power point, sticker chart, certificate or trophy. If a provider is not good with kids, has no hands on experience and is not adaptable with split second warning, NO amount of stars will keep them in business.

Easy to understand fee schedule, rules, and hours written with as few words as humanly possible. They don't need the providers life story, they need to know what the provider expects from them.

A supportive sense of humor when dealing with parents is crucial, make them feel good about themselves and they will feel good about the provider.

Take lot's of photos so they can see your days instead of just taking your word for it. (VERY important if the provider is the only adult, maybe not as crucial in a center setting where others can interveine if necessary in the parents mind)

I will probably think of more as the coffee kicks in... I will edit to add instead of making another post I am sure...
Oneluckymom 06:59 AM 10-07-2011
Thank you. I really want to be good at what I do. Honestly, I have never worked in a center. Having raised kids of my own helps some but I know it's not the same. I hope I can build experience as I go and really make something out of the business like you ladies have done.
caligirl 08:54 AM 10-07-2011
I don't keep a waiting list because most of my dc kids are here for several years. I may have one opening a year or every two years.
Oneluckymom 11:51 AM 10-07-2011
@ caligirl...what part of California are you in? I'm in SB County, Southern cali.
caligirl 01:18 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
@ caligirl...what part of California are you in? I'm in SB County, Southern cali.
I'm down in San Diego
Tags:courtesy, professionalism, provider responsibility, reputation, respect, waiting list
Reply Up