Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Get Rid Of Rotavirus? Logged Out but Registered
Unregistered 07:26 AM 06-13-2012
I'm logged out for privacy.

How do I get rid of rotovirus? I termed the dcb who kept bringing it here, but I can't get it out of my house! I washed the toys in the dishwasher and laundered everything else. I sprayed with anti-bacterial spray. I hand wash everyone all the time, after diaper changes, open all the windows, keep everyone outside all morning, etc. I don't know wha else to do! All of the kids got it. I closed for a week and went to stay at family's with my family. Everyone was healthy. When we got home, 36 hours later, dd got it again! I know it lives on surfaces for weeks. I don't know what else to do. I don't want everyone else to get it again. I can't close, and I can't put dd in solitary in her own home, she would go nuts. Has anyone experienced this? How can I stop it? Help!
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 06-13-2012
This isn't necessarily direction on how to get rid of it but is very informational as to what things you can do to prevent spread and how long to exclude for etc...

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...5_s6ROTAVR.pdf

I thought that rotovirus also had some sort of shot/injection too but i could be wrong....it has been so long since I had to be familiar with the required imms and all.
Breezy 07:59 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This isn't necessarily direction on how to get rid of it but is very informational as to what things you can do to prevent spread and how long to exclude for etc...

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...5_s6ROTAVR.pdf

I thought that rotovirus also had some sort of shot/injection too but i could be wrong....it has been so long since I had to be familiar with the required imms and all.
It is something they drink at one of their infant appts. Very sticky!! They used to give some other imm but it was found not effective and caused more harm than good.
Crystal 08:19 AM 06-13-2012
bleach everything!!!!!!
Solandia 08:39 AM 06-13-2012
Bleach everything, and cut out all but a few of the basic toys (so that you can bleach all the toys in 10 minutes or less), store the rest in a closet or garage for a while. Bleach those again, as you bring them back into the toy rotation.

I would put a 1/4 to 1c of bleach in my laundry, too. And the dishwasher. Lysol does not get 100% of the germs, only bleach has that status. I do 1/4c of bleach to 1 gallon of water for wiping down doorknobs/lightswitches, the wall, tables, chairs, floors, TV cabinet & remotes....basically all surfaces that are bleach-able. I only get super crazy about using bleach when there is something like rotovirus, ringworm, or pinkeye...things that spread easily and can reoccur easily.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 06-13-2012
Thanks ladies! I think I will have to bleach and sequester the toys for a few week and pray! It's hard when it's your own child who is sick. From what I understand, this virus can be caught over and over?
DBug 10:27 AM 06-13-2012
I second the bleaching. I don't know if rotovirus is like the norovirus, but when it went through here, I used disinfectant spray on everything. While researching it some more for a parent info sheet, I found out that the spray doesn't kill the virus -- only bleach can do that. And it needs to stay wet for 10 minutes or so (if memory serves).

Good luck!
My3cents 10:56 AM 06-13-2012
If you can open your windows and let fresh air circulate.

Bleach-

Lysol-

Rinse and repeat.

Wash hands often

wash everything, door nobs, car seats, strollers, everything. Before you leave your house spray Lysol like a madwomen on everything. Make sure to wash bedding and don't use the same wash cloth or anything on the same child.

Are you sure your not dealing with allergies- they stick around longer. Mold anywhere?

Hope these ideas help- not fun being sick all the time.
daycare 11:08 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
bleach everything!!!!!!
this and steam clean your carpets with a cleaning agent that will disinfect the carpet as well. I buy mine at the local medical supply shop.
Koukla 11:24 AM 06-13-2012
I had this in my daycare and ended up closing for a day to bleach every inch of the main daycare room. I even went so far as to shampoo the rug. It's just such a nasty bug that you really need to clean everything really good.
youretooloud 11:38 AM 06-13-2012
Do you have enough sunlight that you can put everything out in the sun for a few days?

Originally Posted by :
Rotavirus is a contagious virus that is the leading cause for vomiting and diarrhea illnesses. The rotavirus can survive up to four hours on human hands, 10 days on solid, dry surfaces and for weeks on wet surfaces. You can prevent rotavirus by cleaning and washing your hands frequently. But once rotavirus enters your body, there is no medicine to kill it. Thus, treatment is focused on supportive care.

jojosmommy 11:48 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
It is something they drink at one of their infant appts. Very sticky!! They used to give some other imm but it was found not effective and caused more harm than good.
Actually rotovirus vaccine is still offered and considered effective and safe. Were you talking about something else? It is given 3 times between 6 and 32 weeks.

I have never had it here, never known of anyone getting it not through daycare or the school district. How do you know its rotovirus compared to food poisioning/salmonella? Is there a test a dr does to prove its rotovirus?
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I have never had it here, never known of anyone getting it not through daycare or the school district. How do you know its rotovirus compared to food poisioning/salmonella? Is there a test a dr does to prove its rotovirus?
I was thinking the same thing.

I have never had any cases of rotovirus go on here. At least none that I am aware of.

I have read a bunch of these threads pertaining to how horrible it is to get rid of and how awful fast it spreads and such and yet, I can't think of one time in all my years that I have had anything even remotely close to that here.

Maybe it is our freezing cold climate?
Unregistered 01:14 PM 06-13-2012

I have never had any cases of rotovirus go on here. At least none that I am aware of.

I have read a bunch of these threads pertaining to how horrible it is to get rid of and how awful fast it spreads and such and yet, I can't think of one time in all my years that I have had anything even remotely close to that here.

Ex-dcb brought it to my daycare a while back and dd caught it, and was confirmed by her ped. Once you smell it one time you will never forget the smell- it is so specific! So nasty! It is horrible- i mean, no one was in my house for a whole week and it must have lasted on some surface. I suppose there is a slight dd has something else, but she started with the classic vomiting then awful chemical smelling diarrhea blowouts that I became familiar with. I know once it is out of my house it won't be back since I got rid of the child who shared so many lovely illnesses with my daycare over the past few months, but it is the getting rid of it part that I am struggling with. Bleach it is!
e.j. 01:38 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
How do you know its rotovirus compared to food poisioning/salmonella? Is there a test a dr does to prove its rotovirus?
The stool can be tested for rotovirus. My dd had it when she was about 2. She became severely dehydrated in a fairly short amount of time and had to be hospitalized for a couple of days. Poor kid was absolutely miserable.

At the time, I cleaned but didn't go crazy. I didn't realize how contagious it is. I was lucky; no one else got it and she stayed healthy after she recovered. I can't imagine having all of the kids sick with it or having a kid go through it more than once!

Do you wear gloves when you change her diapers? One of the things I was told by my dd's pediatrician is that it's often passed on when a parent doesn't wash his/her hands after diaper changing. I always washed my hands carefully but my dd still got it. I started using gloves during diaper changes just to make sure and we never had a reoccurence. I don't know if it was the gloves that made the difference but it might be worth a try if you've tried everything else.
daycare 01:47 PM 06-13-2012
http://www.ehow.com/how_5563537_kill-rotavirus.html

read this link...it sounds promising
Unregistered 01:55 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5563537_kill-rotavirus.html

read this link...it sounds promising
Thanks! I actually am doing that now- I am giving dd probiotics regularly and a mixture of Gatorade and water, and also doing the BRAT diet. I have sanitizer that I use on everyone throughout the day in addition to hand washing. I hope that's enough to keep everyone else from getting it again! I'm following dd everywhere and cleaning everything after her- it's so exhausting!
sharlan 01:58 PM 06-13-2012

I've never had a case in 28 years. I can honestly say, that I've had very few illnesses, beyond colds and sinus infections that spread beyond one child. I've never been overly cautious either.
Country Kids 09:45 PM 06-13-2012
We had an entire elementary school wiped out by it. There were kids dropping left and right from it.They actually were allowing you to pick your child up because there were so few students there. When I picked my son up there were less then 10 kids in his classroom. My son who went to the school got it first-on a Saturday (we were on a road trip for the day) and his sister came down with it 3 hours later and she didn't even go to the school. Our youngest came down with it a few hours later and our daughter that homeschooled at the time never got it.

What started the whole thing at the school was a broken sewer pipe!!!
countrymom 05:55 AM 06-14-2012
never had it here either. Hmm, can it be your water or something else. I believe in some germs and refuse to bleach anything. I think bleach is worse than anything else. If your dd still has it, then its something that is in your home. Do you have pets, check your furnace filters or under the fridge (we found tons of cat hair, thats what was stinkin in our house, but we pulled the cover off of it and thats where we found it) Maybe its something your child is eating and its not agreeing with her.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've never had a case in 28 years. I can honestly say, that I've had very few illnesses, beyond colds and sinus infections that spread beyond one child. I've never been overly cautious either.
Well, since you live in Cali, there goes my cold climate theory...LOL!

After reading how some people struggle to rid their environment of it (and sometimes with no luck) I am SUPER happy that I haven't had it here.

(knocking on wood as I type )
lil angels 09:26 AM 06-14-2012
There is a daycare across the street from me and it went through he daycare in January and it was there for almost six weeks. She couldn't get rid of it either. It sounds nasty. Shekel cleaning but who knew if the parents were. Everyone except one child had it at least twice if not more in that time.
Maddy'sMommy 10:42 AM 06-14-2012
We had it here. It was either that, or Norwalk. She had the roto vaccine, so I'm not sure. I say bleach everything, and open all the doors and windows.

My daughter got it first on a Friday morning. (like 3:00 am). Then me on Saturday, and my husband on Sunday. Honestly I have never been that sick, It was miserable. I closed for almost a week and cleaned everything, but even when I opened every kid got it (and their parents, and their grandparents...). It was the virus that wouldn't die.

On the bright side I got to witness projectile diarrhea.....never thought I'd see that. Lol. It certainly spices up at sleepy-eyed 3:00 am diaper change. Haha.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 06-14-2012
My own son had it and was hospitalized for 4 days for dehydration. I was so worried about the other kids in my daycare, but no one else got it! I couldn't believe it as contagious as rotovirus is! Just clean and pray! haha
Unregistered 12:23 PM 03-08-2017
My daughter had the virus twice. Both times she ended up having a seizure. TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY. My daughter does not go to daycare however she has four older siblings. It seems to only give them a runny nose while sending my daughter to the ER each time. Our local pediatric neurologist told us the same thing. BLEACH EVERYTHING. I am all for letting the germs be around to help build immunity however when you see your child laying face down having a seizure at only 19 months old I'm sure you might develop a second opinion.
Hunni Bee 06:12 AM 03-13-2017
My daughter has it now. We're on day 5. I'm starting to get worried.
Baby Beluga 07:02 AM 03-13-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
My daughter has it now. We're on day 5. I'm starting to get worried.
I hope she recovers quickly!
e.j. 08:43 PM 03-13-2017
I feel for you and your dd! When my dd had hit, she was so sick it was scary! If I remember correctly, Rotavirus can last for up to 8 days. We were told to keep her hydrated. I would add be sure to watch for signs of dehydration. (When my dd had it, the Pedialyte we were told to give her made her vomit even more so rather than hydrating her, it had the opposite effect and ended up making her dehydrated instead.) We ended up bringing her to the hospital. Once on an IV, she improved quickly. I hope she feels better soon.
Hunni Bee 05:52 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I hope she recovers quickly!
Thanks. Yesterday was the end of it, thankfully.
Hunni Bee 05:57 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I feel for you and your dd! When my dd had hit, she was so sick it was scary! If I remember correctly, Rotavirus can last for up to 8 days. We were told to keep her hydrated. I would add be sure to watch for signs of dehydration. (When my dd had it, the Pedialyte we were told to give her made her vomit even more so rather than hydrating her, it had the opposite effect and ended up making her dehydrated instead.) We ended up bringing her to the hospital. Once on an IV, she improved quickly. I hope she feels better soon.
She woke up yesterday morning at about 5:30 hiding, screaming, completely freaking out. She sat in a corner for about 10 minutes covering her eyes and screaming "No, no!!"

I think the dehydration was setting in but thankfully she didn't throw up again and we got her hydrated pretty good. Or else we would have been in the ER
e.j. 09:27 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
She woke up yesterday morning at about 5:30 hiding, screaming, completely freaking out. She sat in a corner for about 10 minutes covering her eyes and screaming "No, no!!"

I think the dehydration was setting in but thankfully she didn't throw up again and we got her hydrated pretty good. Or else we would have been in the ER
When my dd had it, she had no energy - could barely move or speak. She looked lifeless. As tough as it must have been to see her so upset, it was probably a good sign that your dd was starting to feel better. I'm glad to hear she's on the upswing.
Tags:2012, disinfectant, rotavirus
Reply Up