Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Suggestions For Arts/Crafts Projects For 4 Yr Old
Justjoy 12:47 PM 01-15-2017
I have an extremely bright 4 yr old girl in my daycare. She gets bored quite easily, but loves doing arts & crafts projects. I'm running out of ideas. Help! I've tried looking on different sites, but not finding anything that we haven't already done.
DaycareDays126 05:48 AM 01-16-2017
Pinterest...you'll never run out of ideas!
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by Justjoy:
I have an extremely bright 4 yr old girl in my daycare. She gets bored quite easily, but loves doing arts & crafts projects. I'm running out of ideas. Help! I've tried looking on different sites, but not finding anything that we haven't already done.
If she loves doing crafts, why not just give her the supplies and let her do it herself?

I rarely offer boxed or cookie cutter craft projects....instead I just give the kids access to the art supplies and let them do what they want/need to do.

Open ended art IS the best way to support her drive to be creative.
Vesta 08:42 AM 01-16-2017
One year I let my school age children go through some of my art books and let them put a card on the pages they were interested in. Made things pretty simple that year. They had to help me with making supply lists and ideas on how to use what I already had available.
If you don't have your own books your public library probably has tons and a copy machine. You could also let her check out pinterest with you and pin ideas to a board for her. If her parents are down with it.
Unregistered 03:19 AM 01-17-2017
Really easy open ended fun is painting with dry unsweetened kook-aid. Sprinkle on and child paints it with water. The smell and color change is amazing!

Neon sticker dots from office section.....many 4 yr olds will create elaborate patterns and designs.

watercolor painting with Crayola watercolor paint on copy paper. Crayola is nice and bright! Get a little bit bigger brushes...the ones in the box are useless!

Collage material

Seasonal art is endless - holidays, winter, spring, etc.

Cut shapes (circle, squares, triangles, rectangles) from pretty scrapbook paper and let her create designs by gluing them Down.

Cut the circle shapes from doilies for snowflakes, give her white circles to build snowmen to make a winter scene.

Buy heart shaped doilies and watercolor on them.

Take masking tape and tape down first letter of her name. Watercolor, dry, pull off masking tape and/or watercolor resist. You draw something with white crayon on white paper (press hard) and she watercolor paints over it.

Give her scissors, glue and construction paper!

And yes Google preschool art!
Unregistered 03:22 AM 01-17-2017
Oh, she glues the doily circles and snowmen on dark blue construction paper.

And that kool-aid not kook-aid!
Mike 06:53 AM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If she loves doing crafts, why not just give her the supplies and let her do it herself?

I rarely offer boxed or cookie cutter craft projects....instead I just give the kids access to the art supplies and let them do what they want/need to do.

Open ended art IS the best way to support her drive to be creative.
I'm with ya there.
I've done that and seen what kids can come up with. Nothing I would have thought of.
Josiegirl 09:58 AM 01-17-2017
You can save all kinds of recyclable materials and let her have at it.
They have cute little wooden boxes, etc. at craft stores like Michael's, maybe she could make her own little jewelry box or something.
The scratch art is fun too. You could cut different shapes out of the papers.
Take a plain piece of paper and let her cut out pictures of rooms, furniture, etc., and make a collage of what a house could look like.
She could make her own number book by cutting pictures out of magazines of groups of things and gluing it on the corresponding pages.
Reply Up