Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Overly Sensitive Child
Lorna 12:52 PM 05-05-2015
Not sure how to handle this. I have a 2 year old daycare child that has been here for a year. The last 2 weeks the child has been all of a sudden scream crying for no reason or for someone touching her. Not hitting but just touching. Like a foot under the table. When I told that parents what was happening they said that they thought it was because they had been giving an older sibling heck everytime the child cried. Turned out the child was making it up and doing it to get the sibling in trouble or for the attention. They say that this started at daycare when they stopped the behavior at home. So they said to put her in timeout when she does it. But damn this is getting tiring and really hard on my back. Back and forth 4 times during lunch, 2 times during a 15 minute play, than again 2 times at snack. I mention it again and now the parent is asking is it so and so beside her. Obvious they are accusing that child of hitting her, which isn't happening because I am watching. Plus happens with other children beside her. Then she ask me today if it was happening when I was watching in the camera. I use a camera when I make lunch, for a few minutes. It sounded like she thought I was leaving the kids all the time and watching the camera. But more than once I was in the room when she did it and no one is touching her. Now today I sent her home after about 15 minutes. Apparently she has a cold and this made it even worst. This child is so overly sensitive. All day anyone comes to the door she screams my mommy my mommy. Every tiny noise she is constantly jumping and asking what the noise is. How would you deal with the crying for no reason? Today I just told the parent that she obviously wasn't well enough for daycare.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:17 PM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Not sure how to handle this. I have a 2 year old daycare child that has been here for a year. The last 2 weeks the child has been all of a sudden scream crying for no reason or for someone touching her. Not hitting but just touching. Like a foot under the table. When I told that parents what was happening they said that they thought it was because they had been giving an older sibling heck everytime the child cried. Turned out the child was making it up and doing it to get the sibling in trouble or for the attention. They say that this started at daycare when they stopped the behavior at home. So they said to put her in timeout when she does it. But damn this is getting tiring and really hard on my back. Back and forth 4 times during lunch, 2 times during a 15 minute play, than again 2 times at snack. I mention it again and now the parent is asking is it so and so beside her. Obvious they are accusing that child of hitting her, which isn't happening because I am watching. Plus happens with other children beside her. Then she ask me today if it was happening when I was watching in the camera. I use a camera when I make lunch, for a few minutes. It sounded like she thought I was leaving the kids all the time and watching the camera. But more than once I was in the room when she did it and no one is touching her. Now today I sent her home after about 15 minutes. Apparently she has a cold and this made it even worst. This child is so overly sensitive. All day anyone comes to the door she screams my mommy my mommy. Every tiny noise she is constantly jumping and asking what the noise is. How would you deal with the crying for no reason? Today I just told the parent that she obviously wasn't well enough for daycare.
I have a 2 year old boy that anytime you say anything to him goes an cries. It doesn't matter what it is and I might not even been talking to him but he will take off crying. I finally gave him a corner to go to when he does it. DCB can you please put your shoes on? He picks up his shoes takes off to the corner and cries, but he puts his shoes on. If I ask the entire group to clean up he runs an cries for a few seconds to a few minutes but gets up to help. I have no idea why he does this. Mom and dad both said he does it at home too.
Lorna 02:48 PM 05-05-2015
What are you suppose to do when the crying is disruptive to other children. I do have a policy that if your child is excessively cranky and crying I will call to pick up.
hope 03:20 PM 05-05-2015
I have a dcg that was like this. I set up an area each day for her to go to when she cried. Something calming like a coloring page or a puzzle. Every time she cried she was sent to the area. She was allowed to come out once she calmed down. It was kind of like time out but she wasn't in trouble. She wasn't getting the attention she needed, she learned that screaming and crying would not get her her way and it did help her calm down. It is hard work but she will learn in a week or two.
Hunni Bee 11:36 AM 05-06-2015
My 22 month old is doing this. If I look at her, talk to anyone, move her gently aside, walk by, etc. The only thing that helps at all is to ignore. If I send her to a cry spot, she just goes on and on forever. However, if I pretend she's not there at all, she eventually gives up and finds something else to do.

Doesn't work in public though.
Lorna 05:04 AM 05-28-2015
Well I have been able to figure out the scream crying is just for attention. The parents are using timeouts for it at home which I don't agree with. When I tried timeouts here it got worse. she was loving the attention from timeouts and trying to put herself in timeouts. I started to just ignore it. so it had gotten better. but now I get a text from the dcm repeating what the child is telling her. lol. She is fibbing like crzy. Told her that another child hit her, that she was spanked. Even told a fib that she learned a song about butterflies, and about what she ate. I had aksed the parents not to even talk about daycare at home because it was making the behavior worst. So now I am going to have a monster coming back next week again. I think the parents were lecturing her and she is just taking that as attention.

Funny the parents think this is normal. I would rather have the child that hits once in a while and put him in a timeout. Easier that what this child is doing.
Reply Up