Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Anxious
Thriftylady 10:19 AM 07-15-2015
So I had to call and make a doctors appt today since I finally found a doctor who will take my insurance. My last one I found out later was not in our plan. He had given me short term refills on my diabetes meds and I need refills now. I guess none of that matters, just that I need to go to the doctor. Anyway I found someone and made an appointment for the morning of July 29th and am giving my two families notice that I won't be able to do care until noon that day. I just have a feeling this isn't going to go over well. When I did daycare before, I never went and did anything like this I neglected myself the whole two years. But I didn't have diabetes then either that I know of. Anyway, help me feel better about this please!!! I only have two families right now and one I think will take it pretty well. The other is my problem parent and I am dreading telling her.
AuntTami 10:29 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So I had to call and make a doctors appt today since I finally found a doctor who will take my insurance. My last one I found out later was not in our plan. He had given me short term refills on my diabetes meds and I need refills now. I guess none of that matters, just that I need to go to the doctor. Anyway I found someone and made an appointment for the morning of July 29th and am giving my two families notice that I won't be able to do care until noon that day. I just have a feeling this isn't going to go over well. When I did daycare before, I never went and did anything like this I neglected myself the whole two years. But I didn't have diabetes then either that I know of. Anyway, help me feel better about this please!!! I only have two families right now and one I think will take it pretty well. The other is my problem parent and I am dreading telling her.
It's a doctors appointment for something important. Don't let them make you feel guilty. If you don't have your meds, you can't provide care at all! Just tell them how it is. Don't ask, just tell them "I won't be available until xxx time on this day due to an important appointment that can't be missed" and leave it at that!
Thriftylady 10:53 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
It's a doctors appointment for something important. Don't let them make you feel guilty. If you don't have your meds, you can't provide care at all! Just tell them how it is. Don't ask, just tell them "I won't be available until xxx time on this day due to an important appointment that can't be missed" and leave it at that!
I have typed up notices but problem mom never reads them. I also have it on the white board. She is a type 1 diabetic, so I may remind her how important the meds are.
AuntTami 10:59 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have typed up notices but problem mom never reads them. I also have it on the white board. She is a type 1 diabetic, so I may remind her how important the meds are.
Yes I would definitely do that and I would tell her face to face if she doesn't read stuff. "Mom you know how important it is to manage diabetes. I'm almost out of meds and need to see the dr for more."
Annalee 11:02 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Yes I would definitely do that and I would tell her face to face if she doesn't read stuff. "Mom you know how important it is to manage diabetes. I'm almost out of meds and need to see the dr for more."
I would not discuss it because discussing gives clients a window to negotiate. I would just say I will open at xxx on this day! and that be that....good luck
NoMoreJuice! 11:03 AM 07-15-2015
Explanations make it sound like you are asking permission. Just tell her and adopt a no-nonsense attitude when you do it. If she gives you grief, don't apologize.
Thriftylady 11:16 AM 07-15-2015
Well I got to thinking I have an appointment with my psychiatrist coming up on that has to be on a Monday. So I called and moved this appt. out to Aug 10th so I can do them both on the same morning (I hope). If I get any flack I think I will not feel to bad about it. I am basically pushing them both back to do on the same day.

I had forgotten I needed the followup on the one, but they changed my depression meds a month or so ago and I have to have an appointment for that now due to the change. That annoys me and they have changed my meds for that 4 times this year alone. I am going to tell her this time no more. She had raised my other and then I went back and she said they don't like to go that high. Then why did you do it lol. Anyway hopefully I can get them both done and be all finished for awhile.
AmyKidsCo 11:34 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would not discuss it because discussing gives clients a window to negotiate. I would just say I will open at xxx on this day! and that be that....good luck
Ditto!

If she gives you flak you could always say "If it's too inconvenient to drop off at noon you could keep your child home all day..." and hopefully you'll get a day off!
Thriftylady 03:54 PM 07-16-2015
Thank you all so much. This went so much better than expected! Both families accepted it easily. Of course it is a month out, and I will have to give another notice closer to time, but I can then say "you knew about this weeks ago".
CraftyMom 07:32 PM 07-16-2015

Don't neglect your health! Most dcp would drop you in a second to benefit themselves! (General you, not specifically you )
Tags:anxious, feeling - anxious, insurance, medical insurance, provider insurance
Reply Up