Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throwing Food on Floor
midaycare 08:11 AM 08-05-2015
What is an appropriate consequence for throwing food on the floor? No one ever does it with a full plate, but a have 2 dck's who, when they are done, if I don't grab the plates or bowls quick enough, they will drop them on the floor. I have carpeting, and bummer for me, we can't afford the $12,000 for our new hardwood for a year or two.

I have been making the kids sit in the kitchen for their next meal - about 6 feet away from the dining table, open concept floor plan, but the kitchen has tile. It doesn't seem to phase them.

Any other ideas?
Silly Songs 08:18 AM 08-05-2015
Have them help clean it .
midaycare 08:46 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Have them help clean it .
Some of the things I do. But things that stain the carpet like blueberries, strawberries & most fruits and veggies I serve - no way!
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 08-05-2015
How old?
daycarediva 09:59 AM 08-05-2015
I wouldn't give them a plate and plan things that purposefully don't require it. Napkins, finger foods, and a few bites at a time like infants until they can eat like their peers.
midaycare 10:14 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old?
2, both of them. Younger 2's. But they know better. They are all trained to put their food on the table when they are done. 90% of the time they do it. The other 10% I think they want a reaction.
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
2, both of them. Younger 2's. But they know better. They are all trained to put their food on the table when they are done. 90% of the time they do it. The other 10% I think they want a reaction.
Same advice I gave to PC about her DD would work here too....

Remind them not to throw food.

When they do, take their plates from the table IMMEDIATELY without any fanfare or any more attention than necessary. For reinforcement state calmly that food is NOT to be thrown.

Then reward the others for not throwing food. Including all the fanfare and celebrations in regards to them following the rules.

Rinse and repeat and I bet you they will "fix" the issue within a day or two.

If they get too caught up in not getting the reward, you may have to resort to restricting the amounts and sizes of what is placed on their plates at one time like Diva said.

I have high expectations for my kiddos so I know my 2 yr olds would FULLY comprehend and understand this lesson.
midaycare 11:02 AM 08-05-2015
Same advice I gave to PC about her DD would work here too....

Remind them not to throw food.

When they do, take their plates from the table IMMEDIATELY without any fanfare or any more attention than necessary. For reinforcement state calmly that food is NOT to be thrown.

Then reward the others for not throwing food. Including all the fanfare and celebrations in regards to them following the rules.

Rinse and repeat and I bet you they will "fix" the issue within a day or two.

If they get too caught up in not getting the reward, you may have to resort to restricting the amounts and sizes of what is placed on their plates at one time like Diva said.

I have high expectations for my kiddos so I know my 2 yr olds would FULLY comprehend and understand this lesson.
I have tried giving treats to the other kids - small ones - but I have to deal with 30 minutes of hysterics to the plate thrower of the day. Perhaps a few bites at a time then. That's do-able!
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 08-05-2015
I have tried giving treats to the other kids - small ones - but I have to deal with 30 minutes of hysterics to the plate thrower of the day. Perhaps a few bites at a time then. That's do-able!
Hysterics equate to nap time then and honestly it is only something you'd have to follow through on no more than 2-3 times before they realize you are serious. Hysterics don't detour me... I don't like them but I won't let them (the child) have that kind of power here.
AmyKidsCo 12:10 PM 08-05-2015
Hysterics equate to nap time then and honestly it is only something you'd have to follow through on no more than 2-3 times before they realize you are serious. Hysterics don't detour me... I don't like them but I won't let them (the child) have that kind of power here.

If you give in to or tolerate hysterics (aka tantrums) you're letting the dck be in charge.
midaycare 12:50 PM 08-05-2015
So how would you keep a hysterical child on a nap mat? I know you can do it, but I'm wondering about my abilities since kitchen is upstairs and daycare is downstairs. Would I walk the hysterical child downstairs and leave them? That seems unsafe.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 08-05-2015
So how would you keep a hysterical child on a nap mat? I know you can do it, but I'm wondering about my abilities since kitchen is upstairs and daycare is downstairs. Would I walk the hysterical child downstairs and leave them? That seems unsafe.
Hmm, good question.

When I send someone to their mat they stay.
If necessary I will stop and sit next to them so they are not able to get up.

I guess in your situation, maybe refrain from "causing" the hysterics until you are all out of the kitchen.

Maybe something like this:

Everyone up stairs at the table eating.
Child throws food.
You remind/warn about consequence
Child ignores you.
Take their plate.
Child starts to protest
Ignore
Have everyone finish up lunch
Serve the treats/rewards etc to those behaving
Take ALL children downstairs (I'm sure the tough ones are screaming by now)
Put them on a mat and tell them the words that they will get to have treats too when they have good table manners. Tell them they can try again at snack time.
Hysterics begin/escalate
Sit next to the child so they are unable to get up

I don't know if that is something you can do but I would figure out a way to reward the others at a time you CAN be available to deal with the hysterics.

I would also try to make a point of really really "catching" the food throwers being good and give them a small treat at that time and then start the whole process above since they have experienced the reward and are aware if what getting one is like.

Hopefully that makes sense. I guess I don't know for sure since you have a unique or at least a very different setup/environment than I have. My kitchen is the hub of my environment and from the kitchen I can see every nook and cranny of my facility.
Tags:throwing - food, throwing food
Reply Up