Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Term Or Not To Term For Sending A Sick Child?
PolkaTots 06:38 PM 09-28-2012
I have had a very nice family with a very sweet 2 yo little boy for 3 months now. They have had a couple late pays and pick ups, but no major problems. Their child came at the beginning of this week with a cough, which had worsened by Wednesday. After nap on Wednesday, he had a low grade fever and I sent him home. (Dad came 1.5 hours later and had the family pet in the car, showing me he went home before coming to get his sick child). They kept him home Thursday. He came today and seemed ok, just tired, but his cough was much worse. I put him down for nap and the coughing stopped, but when he woke up he looked horrible and was struggling to breathe, as the coughing was so bad. I took his temp and it was 103. I called the parents and 45 minutes later they tell me they are on their way (They work a half hour away). The mother just sent me a text saying they had to go to the hospital and he had steroid and antibiotic injections, a breathing treatment, and chest x rays. I am so upset! There is no way they thought their child was fine to go to daycare today, and I don't have a doubt in my mind that they doped him up on tylenol so he could come. They risked the health of their child and exposed everyone who was here to his illness. I am really torn whether to given them a written warning because they have been a good family until this, or to just term them. WWYD?
PolkaTots 06:43 PM 09-28-2012
And yes I have policies in my contract regarding picking up sick children and bringing knowingly sick children can lead to terminating care.
Crystal 07:56 PM 09-28-2012
It is the one and only thing I have ever termed for.....lying about illness and doping before care, putting every other child at risk. It was 14 years ago and it has never happened again because I made sure parents KNEW that I would term if they do it. Allowing them to get away with that puts you, your family, every daycare child and family, and your business at risk. I wouldn't tolerate it at all.

Now, if you DO term, be prepared for a complaint (of SOME sort) and having to defend your business. Make sure you have all of your licensing regs met and up to date, and make sure you have documentation of the recent events - exact details.

I hope the child is okay
clep 08:20 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It is the one and only thing I have ever termed for.....lying about illness and doping before care, putting every other child at risk. It was 14 years ago and it has never happened again because I made sure parents KNEW that I would term if they do it. Allowing them to get away with that puts you, your family, every daycare child and family, and your business at risk. I wouldn't tolerate it at all.

Now, if you DO term, be prepared for a complaint (of SOME sort) and having to defend your business. Make sure you have all of your licensing regs met and up to date, and make sure you have documentation of the recent events - exact details.

I hope the child is okay
This exactly. I just reworded my policy thanks to Blackcat and my worst family gave notice. All my other families are awesome, so sick kids are no longer. This is unacceptable. I let my families know they have to arrive within half an hour to pick up if sick. Just recently I was soooo sick, and so was my son. I would write up a formal notice that if it happens again, they are terminated on the spot. My parents have to pay me their last 30 days up front, so they take that very seriously, since it would mean they lose a full month's fees.
nanglgrl 09:12 PM 09-28-2012
I had to edit. Major migraine is making it so I can't think straight.
nanglgrl 09:35 PM 09-28-2012
If your policies say that you term for this behavior and you are fairly certain that they doped their child I would stick to your policies and term. If you or your children get sick because of this chances are you will go to the doctor and have a copay, maybe a prescription and lost income. After all of these expenses I imagine them bringing him sick will actually cost you more than they paid for the week.
You also said that in 3 months they have had a couple of late pays and late pickups. I would say these are major problems as they have only been with you for three months and should still be in the honeymoon faze and on their best behavior. In my experience if they act like this straight away it will only get worse.
julie 07:12 AM 09-29-2012
This is the only action currently in my contract that will result in immediate termination. I unfortunately have had to use it, and don't regret it for a second.
Reply Up