Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Listening Centers
midaycare 06:16 AM 03-04-2016
I remember reading on here that some of you have a listening center. What types of materials do you have for the kids to listen to?

I think this may be my next center
midaycare 07:07 PM 03-04-2016
Never mind! Another group I belong to has a lot of providers who do these and gave me tons of ideas
Unregistered 07:53 PM 03-05-2016
Can you share with us? Also, what age? I used to do a listening center here and at my former job. At my former job, a head start, it was required. I don't do it here as I feel the children break and/or misuse the materials. I had an iPod (at both), headphones. and it was mostly audio books.
midaycare 07:43 AM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can you share with us? Also, what age? I used to do a listening center here and at my former job. At my former job, a head start, it was required. I don't do it here as I feel the children break and/or misuse the materials. I had an iPod (at both), headphones. and it was mostly audio books.
Of course. First, I spent about $100 to get started, but I don't think it's necessary. I ordered from an online store called Different Roads to Learning. They have many audio items they call "listening lottos". You listen to the sounds and there are nice cards that go with it, to figure out what the sounds are. Some examples are "Community Helpers", "Faces and Feelings", "Find that Action Verb", "Outside Sounds" and "Sounds on the Farm". Each one is $15.95. You can find them other places, but this is the cheapest I found.

I don't have them yet, so I can't give a review, but they came recommended to me.

You could easily do the same thing with YouTube- put sounds together and make your own cards. I just don't want the kids to have access to my iPad. I have a smaller, cheaper tablet I may use for this to make my own listening sounds/cards.

I was also led to a site where a woman does a lot of really cool listening centers, and they are not all with headphones. You can find her on facebook, she owns Discovery Bay's Our Place Preschool. She does a sound box match and sorting objects that go with stories, among other things.

I'm making my center a one person center and the materials will have to be put away when not used. I have younger ones who would destroy headphones, cards, CD's, cd players, etc.

Hope that helps!
Michael 02:16 PM 03-06-2016
Bananas recently post about creating a listening center: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...stening+center
Tags:audio book, listening center
Reply Up