Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching a Foreign Language
Sugaree 11:20 AM 12-14-2015
Do any of you teach a foreign language as part of your curriculum? Is there some kind of program that you can recommend?

I'd like to start teaching DS a second language, but, while I can read and write French at an elementary level, I don't speak it very well. I've been having him listen to children's songs in French and I've looked for kid's shows, but haven't had much luck.
Thriftylady 11:26 AM 12-14-2015
I don't know but I would love to find an affordable way to teach a foreign language. I remember a tiny bit of Spanish, but not enough to teach it. I took a year and a half in HS, but when you don't use it you loose it.
Sugaree 11:29 AM 12-14-2015
I've been using Duolingo and Memrise to refresh my own knowledge. That's not really going to help teach it to kids though.
daycare 12:17 PM 12-14-2015
you would need to be able to teach at least half of your day in the foreign language that you would be teaching.

the kids would need to have the consistency.

you would need to have a dual emergent program for the kids to pick it up and retain.
midaycare 01:24 PM 12-14-2015
I incorporate Spanish in the daycare. I have a Spanish teacher come for 7 hours a week and she only speaks Spanish to the kids. We have curriculum for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, so that is almost half of our time.

We keep it really simple since I have 3 and under. But we use free resources (besides what I pay her). Youtube songs - the same ones - sung over and over until you want to pull your hair out. Phrases that we use all the time (hello, goodbye, thank you, please, etc.) We say them in English and Spanish. Some of my two year olds are counting to 20 in both languages. It's pretty cool.
Controlled Chaos 01:35 PM 12-14-2015
I think if you aren't fluent you can't teach it. But that doesn't mean you cant expose children to different phoniams and cultures. We identify colors in English, French and Spanish during circle time. We count to 10 in 5 languages. We sing the abcs in English and French (I was fluent in French 5 years ago but since I stopped teaching it full time I have gott rusty). We listen to Christmas songs in many languages. I think there is benifit to exposure. In this time of extreme Xenophobia towards people who dress, talk and pray differently I think it is imperative we teach acceptance of different cultures. My dd wouldn't play with a girl once because she didn't speak English, it scared her (this was many years ago, it sparked my interest in developing a better diverse program. Now one of her favorite people has a strong Arabic accent.

Poster realizes her post is a run away train and Awkwardly steps off soap box....
Febby 06:34 PM 12-14-2015
My center includes both Spanish and American Sigh Language as part of the curriculum. The curriculum is provided by the center and was developed specifically for the center, so I can't really give you that as a resource.

That said, a bulk of it is speaking/signing it to the children throughout the day and reading books in Spanish. I speak Spanish fluently as I grew up with it, though since my father is Spanish, I didn't learn the Latin American Spanish dialect that we teach. Other staff members who don't know me will often attempt to correct my pronunciation!

On the other hand, I'm not very good at sign language. I usually have to refer to the posters scattered around the room for even simple things.
Angelsj 07:57 PM 12-14-2015
Muzzy is an excellent and fun way to introduce and learn the basics of foreign languages. I have a 20 yo who speaks 5 languages fluently. She is gifted, but I credit Muzzy and other programs early influence to guiding her to this.
http://www.early-advantage.com/
Sugaree 04:53 AM 12-15-2015
Thanks everyone!

I'm actually hoping that by teaching him, I'll improve my own skills.

I like what I'm seeing with the Muzzy software. He's getting a tablet for xmas (I'm not sure how I feel about that), so I'll look into adding Muzzy for that. Now DH and I have to hash out which language to teach him...
Angelsj 09:36 AM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
Thanks everyone!

I'm actually hoping that by teaching him, I'll improve my own skills.

I like what I'm seeing with the Muzzy software. He's getting a tablet for xmas (I'm not sure how I feel about that), so I'll look into adding Muzzy for that. Now DH and I have to hash out which language to teach him...
You are in the US. If you don't already speak Spanish, I would begin there. Spanish is not only used regularly in the US, but will continue to be a highly useful skill for some time. It can also be used to easily pick up Italian and is a springboard to French. The only exception would be if you have family members in Louisiana or are planning a move to another country in the near future. Then French or the other country's language would be a good choice.
Reply Up