Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Closing For The Rest Of The Week
sahm2three 08:10 AM 02-28-2011
But not sure how to go about it. Last week my kids were sick all week with bronchitis. I told the families about it, and kept them in their rooms, and everyone came every day. Last Friday, one of the dck's started feeling under the weather and I guess had the stomach flu all weekend. Now my middle son has the flu. I am about tapped out. I can't take much more. I don't know what to do. I know closing would inconvienience them, but we keep passing it around. I warned everyone that now my son has the flu (he is old enough to be in his room without a lot of help from me), but most are here again today, except for those who also have the flu! UGH! So, I am contemplating closing. Have any of you done this?
daycare 09:09 AM 02-28-2011
why? no matter what you do, you cant possibly stop the spread. Most children are contagious before even showing symptoms....

its just part of the territory that comes with the business....

I would not close.... Sorry to hear that you are going through all of this, and i hope that your children feel better soon.
momofboys 09:16 AM 02-28-2011
I understand why you want to close. After caring for your ill kids AND the DC kids I would be exhausted too! I see nothing wrong with closing for a day or two but I wouldn't do it for the rest of the week. Hugs! Hope you can find some time to rest!
Cat Herder 09:20 AM 02-28-2011
I would not close, either. Being viewed as unreliable is a death sentence for your business.

I would recommend that you follow your disinfection and exclusion protocals EXACTLY as written. No sympathy breaks.

This is also why I disinfect toys daily...
snowball 09:28 AM 02-28-2011
I would close. My family comes first. If my kids needed me (and IMO if they have the flu they need me) I am there for them.

If I am sick I close. Yes, you need to be reliable, but at what cost? All your daycare parents have the option of calling in sick to work if they need to, so why can't you? I am not saying call in at every sniffle, but if you feel that you need to take some sick time do it.

You are human, you are allowed to get sick or care for your own family. If it was the other way around the daycare parents wouldn't think twice about calling in sick to THEIR job.
sahm2three 02:30 PM 02-28-2011
I am starting to feel iffy myself. So thinking tomorrow I will close. I hate doing that to my families!
SilverSabre25 02:33 PM 02-28-2011
I've certainly considered it, but I've never actually done it. A couple times my DH has worked for me in the morning while I sleep, but I've never had to actually close.

I tend to find that when sickness is sweeping through the kiddos and I start to think about closing to give everyone a chance to recover, everyone is better in a few days.

If you're feeling yucky though, make the call you think you need to for yourself!
Tags:bronchitis, sick provider children
Reply Up