Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure When or if I Should Terminate Care
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:15 AM 08-11-2011
I have had these 2 dcb's (2 and 4 yr old brothers) for 3 months now.

It does not feel that things are getting any better but I also feel that all of the kids are totally sick of each other, but with these 2, they hit, pinch, scream, cry, pick fights, ect.

I have another 2yr old dcb that has never raised his hand or hurt another child ever while in my care.

The parents of my other dck's are starting to make comments about these 2 boys and how their kids come home and talk about how these boys treated them.

DCM knows that her boys are like this but Im pretty sure that she doesnt do anything about the behavior.

I am hoping that when school starts that things will get better cause they wont see much of each other.

Should I wait until school starts or should i just terminate now?

If you think I should terminate now, what should I say to her?
laundrymom 10:24 AM 08-11-2011
I would give her a probation period, at the end of which will result in termination. I would give her two weeks (or whatever your termination period is) and say,..

Dear Parent,

As described in our contract there is a two week termination period for our agreement. At this time I feel it best to give the notice due to the unpredictable behavior of your children. I really do not feel like they are adjusting to the routines and structure of our program and feel they may be better served in a different environment. If during the two week period things turn around I will offer to extend our contract but at this time I feel they just arent progressing into our routine and schedule. Thank you
Lucy 10:38 AM 08-11-2011
I would talk to the other parents and at least acknowledge their concerns. Tell them you would like to wait through September to see if having the school-agers gone helps the situation. I have found that being completely up-front and transparent makes things a heck of a lot easier! As a side note, don't discuss specifics about these kids. You need to draw a line of privacy somewhere, but be VERY specific about your thoughts and proposed plan.
MarinaVanessa 10:49 AM 08-11-2011
I agree with the above post. I think that you need to sit down with this parent and be frank. Let her know that the issues are not getting better and that you are afraid that their behavior will rub off on the other kids and if that happens, you could be looking at losing the other clients. If asked, I would be honest and let her know that other parents have started to comment on the behavior.

Let her know that you need to create a plan of action that will be implimented at home and that you will continue at daycare. Let her know that it needs to be started now and give her a deadline for improvement. I think that you should decide what you would like to do and open it up for discussion. Make sure that once you make an agreement you write it up including the deadline. At the end of the probationary period follow up.
mom2many 11:04 AM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I agree with the above post. I think that you need to sit down with this parent and be frank. Let her know that the issues are not getting better and that you are afraid that their behavior will rub off on the other kids and if that happens, you could be looking at losing the other clients. If asked, I would be honest and let her know that other parents have started to comment on the behavior.

Let her know that you need to create a plan of action that will be implimented at home and that you will continue at daycare. Let her know that it needs to be started now and give her a deadline for improvement. I think that you should decide what you would like to do and open it up for discussion. Make sure that once you make an agreement you write it up including the deadline. At the end of the probationary period follow up.
I totally agree with this. You can't continue to have this bad behavior and the negative effects of it on the other dcks. Giving them a probationary period is fair and then if things don't improve, I would definitely term them.

You don't want to lose your other clients, because of this! I had to do this once and it was difficult, because I was friends with the dcm...However, she understood I couldn't continue caring for her child, when he was acting out and hurting others in my care.

Best of Luck!
renodeb 11:18 AM 08-11-2011
ITA with the others, give her a letter laundrymom's idea was good then if no improvement term them. You dont want to risk loosing other dc families over these! I think them not seeing each other is a bandaid on a broken leg! JMO. Good luck and keep us posted.
Debbie
mrsp'slilpeeps 03:34 PM 08-11-2011
DCM terminated care today.

Good for me and the kids, bad for the money situation, but now I can find 2 kids at FULL price!

Kinda sucks I had to turn down 2 people yesterday too!
Cat Herder 03:40 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
DCM terminated care today.

Good for me and the kids, bad for the money situation, but now I can find 2 kids at FULL price!

Kinda sucks I had to turn down 2 people yesterday too!
Did you keep their numbers??
mrsp'slilpeeps 06:19 AM 08-12-2011
I have numbers but they didnt leave their names.
wdmmom 07:29 AM 08-12-2011
I'd call them and leave a message.

"Hi! This is (your name). You recently contacted me about daycare. I'm calling to let you know that I had a spot open up today. If you are still seeking childcare, you can give me a call back at (your phone number.) Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you!"
MarinaVanessa 12:10 PM 08-12-2011
Yes!! Call them back!!
Tags:terminate, terminating, termination - behavioral
Reply Up