Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is The Part Of This Business That I Hate The Most!
LittleCrawfishCC 03:56 AM 09-04-2012
So we just weathered the hurricane last week, and are finally getting back to normallcy. I have had 2 parents fight with me about discounts for last week. I was open 3 out of 5 days. Most of my parents chose to not bring their kids but 1 day last week. I am so sorry, but no I am not going to give you a discount for it. I can not help that mother nature decided to show her ugly self. I run like a center daycare. You pay every week if you are there or not, you pay for a spot. Why can't these parents understand this? I just had a huge argument with a parent at 530 in my driveway because she decided to only bring her child a half day last week, and said that she tried to get in touch with me on Friday, which is a lie because I never received anything from them, and the mom passes by my subdivison to work,and is on the same electric grid that I am on, so she knew I had power! Really no offense lady, it's not like I made this happen.

Sorry for the vent! It's not even 6 am yet and i already have a headache! I have a good mind to hand her back her check tonight and tell her to find alternate care!
momofboys 04:37 AM 09-04-2012
That's frustrating! Do these same parents complain about paying when their child is home ill?? I would be temptedto do the same thing. Sorry for your headache, you didn't cause the weather situation - I wonder how they would feel if their works decided the didn't get paid b/c some of them couldn't make it to work. Hope your week improves!
SilverSabre25 04:44 AM 09-04-2012
I'm sorry, I can relate--I hate the money-chasing part of the business as well. Stand up for yourself; the worst they can do is leave and they probably won't.
MaritimeMummy 05:08 AM 09-04-2012
This is my policy with weather, take it as you will.

If schools are open and the weather is bad, I stay open, and if parents decide to keep their kids home, they pay.

If schools are closed , I close, and parents do not pay.

If schools are not running (summer or Christmas break) I use my own judgement...if, in all common sense, the weather would be bad enough to cancel schools had they been running, I still close, and parents do not pay.

So basically, any time that I am closed for weather, they do not pay. If the weather is bad but reasonable, and I am open, they still pay.

However, I don't know the extent of the hurricane in your area, but if it was impassable and unsafe for your families to travel on the days you stayed open, by all rights, you SHOULD have been closed. But again, I don't know the extent of the hurricane.

I totally get the frustration with chasing down parents for owed money. I am very glad to have my day care agency provide me with collection service if it goes on too long. :-D
LittleCrawfishCC 05:18 AM 09-04-2012
Maritimemummy, the 2 days I closed, I did not have power, and everything was impassable, the other three days they could have came, and chose not to, all of my parents live in my subdivison,so they do not have an excuse.
MaritimeMummy 05:20 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by LittleCrawfishCC:
Maritimemummy, the 2 days I closed, I did not have power, and everything was impassable, the other three days they could have came, and chose not to, all of my parents live in my subdivison,so they do not have an excuse.
Yeah, they should be paying. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, too frustrating. :-(
LittleCrawfishCC 05:24 AM 09-04-2012
yes girl. And honestly, I want to give them a discount, but I know that it would hurt me n the long run. As much as I do, and I never ask for compensation.
MaritimeMummy 05:30 AM 09-04-2012
Do they have any unpaid sick days that they haven't used? if so, I would lay this option out for them:

"I can do you this one-time courtesy and consider those days to be sick days. However, they will take away from what you have banked, leaving you with X days remaining.

You have that option, if you choose not to do that, then please note that in my handbook it states that anytime that day care is open and operational, payment is due, whether your child attends or not".
LittleCrawfishCC 06:13 AM 09-04-2012
This particular family has already used their 3 sick days, so that is not an option. I just talked to the husband, who I mostly deal with, he told me not to worry about it. And I explained to him again, that he pays for a spot. Sure I can give you last week free, but I can also replace you because you didn't pay for the spot. I have about had it with this family. All I hear about is the wife cheating, and they are going to divorce, and their kid is horrible
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by LittleCrawfishCC:
This particular family has already used their 3 sick days, so that is not an option. I just talked to the husband, who I mostly deal with, he told me not to worry about it. And I explained to him again, that he pays for a spot. Sure I can give you last week free, but I can also replace you because you didn't pay for the spot. I have about had it with this family. All I hear about is the wife cheating, and they are going to divorce, and their kid is horrible
Tell this mom that is she can convince her mortgage company or landlord to discount her for every day she isn't home and actually using her house, you will "think" about giving her the same type of discount....otherwise the space is her and she has to pay....whether she uses it or not.

I would also tell her that she can disagree all she wants, as she did read the contract and agree to it. If not, then she should never have signed on with you.

Stand your ground!
LittleCrawfishCC 08:59 AM 09-04-2012
I totally agree black cat! I still can't believe she decided to bring it up at 5:30 am! I explained that to the husband also, it's a spot, if you want that, you need to pay. Our school is new, and only a center and I are open to taking before/after care for this school. And the center is booked!
youretooloud 09:09 AM 09-04-2012
I would look for a replacement. I would not ever like that mom, and it would be hard to work with her. Especially if the child is difficult. It's one thing if the child is a joy but the parents are a PITA, but when the entire package is a PITA, it's just not worth it.
SquirrellyMama 03:46 PM 09-04-2012
I would discount them the 2 days you could not open due to power outage but they have to pay the other 3 even if they decided to not bring them.

K
Reply Up