Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Child Care Provider

Default Gerber Foods

When you first start feeding Rice cereal, how long do you continue to feed this one type of cereal before adding the oatmeal or other single grain cereals? It says to wait three days before introducing news fruits or veges, but doesn't feeding rice cereal usually last a month or more before adding more foods into the meals?

Also, I was watching a video from gerber's site and it said to always put the baby food into a bowl before serving. Why? I always fed babies from the plastic jar and the lid fits back on. Is this only for glass jars?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Unregistered

To answer your question, I don't think there is any agreement on the specific amount of time you should wait before you feed different foods. Every doctor seems to have their own beliefs about introducing solids.

When I have infants in my daycare I just go by how the parents are feeding their baby. I don't try anything new for a baby until the parents have tried it at home. I continue with this through early toddler-hood when introducing table foods.

Regarding putting baby food into a bowl before feeding, this is because of the transfer of saliva and germs into the container of food. If you feed the baby directly from the container of baby food and then put that container back into the refrigerator to use the next time, you will be serving food contaminated by the saliva from the baby's mouth. You should put any food you are serving a baby into a separate bowl unless you are going to throw out the baby food container at the end of the meal.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

From what I understand, you want to put the food you are going to feed your baby in a bowl, because after the spoon has been the baby's mouth you would be introducing bacteria back into the food. Whatever you don't finish from the bowl should be thrown out. If you put the spoon in the jar, you'd have to throw out the whole jar.

3-5 days in the general amount of time to wait to wait between new foods. Start with rice cereal, and then introduce other single-grain cereals after you are sure there is no reaction.

Edit** Ooops! Someone else answered while I was taking my sweet time watching Law and Order while I typed. lol.

Last edited by Maddy'sMommy; 03-16-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

I usually introduce rice cereal first, and when they seem to "get the hang of it" then I add the other cereals and start vegetables. It seems that for most babies, it takes about a month. I don't think there's any reason you should wait that long or couldn't do it sooner. I just figure that it is confusing enough to learn to eat without changing the taste or texture in the meantime. Once they are comfortable with the actual eating, I find they will usually welcome new foods. (That rice cereal must be boring.) Again, I haven't done it another way, and I'm sure you could do it sooner. I would assume it would follow the same "few day rule."

Yes, like the others said, once you put the spoon in the baby's mouth and back into the jar, you introduce normal bacteria from the mouth. If you then store the jar in a cool/dark place, the bacteria could start to grow and become potentially harmful. If the child is going to finish the jar, however, I do feed them right from the jar (plastic or glass).
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Child Care Provider

Thanks for all the explanations. I guess all our infants at daycare finish the baby food they were given. I've babysat infants during meal times and parents always had it planned what they would eat and never told me to put it in a bowl so I guess I've never done that. LOL.

Another question....is there a way to buy larger containers of baby food if I have multiple infants to feed the same food? I guess so many stores I always look at the Gerber brand in plastic two-pack containers, but if I went to the actual grocery store they probably carry larger glass jar baby foods. I'm trying to be frugal if I need to stock up.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
Thanks for all the explanations. I guess all our infants at daycare finish the baby food they were given. I've babysat infants during meal times and parents always had it planned what they would eat and never told me to put it in a bowl so I guess I've never done that. LOL.

Another question....is there a way to buy larger containers of baby food if I have multiple infants to feed the same food? I guess so many stores I always look at the Gerber brand in plastic two-pack containers, but if I went to the actual grocery store they probably carry larger glass jar baby foods. I'm trying to be frugal if I need to stock up.
I don't know anyone who makes them in bulk. They make a lot of money per ounce when they have the food plus water and package it in 3.5 oz's. It's way cheaper to make your own.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do make a lot of my baby food, too. While I love to do it because I can give a wider variety of foods, I'm not sure that I've saved money. One thing that is nice, though, is that if there are leftover fruits/veggies after a meal then I will make it into baby food for the babies to eat the next day. That way I'm not wasting leftovers, so that does save me some money.

No, I have not seen bulk baby food. Babies R Us does sell Earth's Best and some other brands sort of in bulk. The jars are still individual, but it is in a cardboard box and shrinkwrapped. I think there are 12 jars in there. If it's on sale, it's cheaper than buying it individually, but if not I don't think there is a price savings.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy'sMommy View Post
From what I understand, you want to put the food you are going to feed your baby in a bowl, because after the spoon has been the baby's mouth you would be introducing bacteria back into the food. Whatever you don't finish from the bowl should be thrown out. If you put the spoon in the jar, you'd have to throw out the whole jar.

3-5 days in the general amount of time to wait to wait between new foods. Start with rice cereal, and then introduce other single-grain cereals after you are sure there is no reaction.

Edit** Ooops! Someone else answered while I was taking my sweet time watching Law and Order while I typed. lol.
Better change foods from original jar to plastic/glass food containers while feeding.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Saliva and germs might contaminate baby foods when feeding directly with the original jar.

So I prefer serving into a food container. The regular one I use is around 500ml~800ml.

Plastic and glass are my favorite because sometimes in winter, I need to microwave them to keep them hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To answer your question, I don't think there is any agreement on the specific amount of time you should wait before you feed different foods. Every doctor seems to have their own beliefs about introducing solids.

When I have infants in my daycare I just go by how the parents are feeding their baby. I don't try anything new for a baby until the parents have tried it at home. I continue with this through early toddler-hood when introducing table foods.

Regarding putting baby food into a bowl before feeding, this is because of the transfer of saliva and germs into the container of food. If you feed the baby directly from the container of baby food and then put that container back into the refrigerator to use the next time, you will be serving food contaminated by the saliva from the baby's mouth. You should put any food you are serving a baby into a separate bowl unless you are going to throw out the baby food container at the end of the meal. As it's used to serve baby, you'd better find the food container manufacturer that use BPA-free food contact material.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

I never use cereals at all, unless it’s to thicken a purée because the baby needs thicker food but I don’t want to throw the thinner stuff out. Or to thicken milk for a reflux baby

Tags
2011, baby food, cereal, feeding, food, formula, gerber, infant, rice, single grain