Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Termination Question
angelwing 06:47 PM 06-27-2011
So this might be long and I apologize but could use some advice. My son has been at the same daycare since he was 10 months old, almost 2 years. We have loved the results we get from her in his manners, education and social skills. At 2 1/2 yo he knew all his upper and lower letters, numbers, shapes and colors. He has started phonics and actually spells out words then tries to spell them out.

However, we've had issues with the DCP where it seems that we are being flexible and there is zero flexibility on her part. First example was when we signed up, it was the same rate for 4 or 5 days. My parents watch DS on Wednesday because the enjoy it. We told her this but that it wouldn't be each week as they take vacation and run a business out of their home and things come up. OK. A bit into it, turns into her deciding that is our "day off". Even if she is closed on a monday and he goes to my parents, we would want to send him the rest of the week and she started insisting no, that was our day off. I guess she ended up booking another child that day, wednesday, which made it difficult to add our son. Instead of arguing about or original agreement we just went with it. We figured the last person we wanted to upset was the person watching our son.

There have been other minor things. However the last thing was potty training. I am pregnant with our second and due in 4 months so we decided to try to potty train. She said to take a 3 day weekend then she'd take over and help out. We had a 2 week time that he would be with her all 5 days so we told her, can we do it this weekend (this was the weekend before last) and then bring him in. Yes. SO we do it, he's doing well and take him monday. TO make a long story short, she starts giving us different stories, tells my husband he only had one accident then tells me wednesday it was multiple accidents. Then says he isn't ready to wait till 4th July weekend, a 3 day weekend. I felt that he was making progress. Not asking to go potty but he'd go #1 and #2 and have 1-2 accidents per day. After going back and forth and having him come home each day in a diaper I finally asked... "I'm sorry, it sounds like you just want us to take him for 3 days, potty train him, then bring him back 100% done." Thinking she'd say no.... she says in an angry voice "yes, that's exactly what I want".

So another long story short, DH and I decided to call around to other places and put up with this till we found another. All DCP's I called said they'd do potty training that way, the way we were doing it and that the schedule was fine. That if we were paying for 5 days, they were our days. We were paying for his spot no matter.

Friday night, after our big u/s (another boy!) we go to pick him up and the DCP starts berating my husband about this and that then says we need to decide if we want to give our 2 week notice on monday.

Right then we decided that someone that angry and unable to work with us, wouldn't be the person to watch our son.

We paid a $175 last week deposit when we signed. We get two weeks vacation at a 1/2 weeks rate (our rate is now $160 per week). We wrote her the notice and left it for her this morning. That we'd use our two weeks vacation for our last two weeks and since that total would be $160 (2 half weeks at $80 each) then teh $175 deposit would cover it and she could keep the $15.

Her termination procedure in your contract states that we need to give 2 weeks notice which we did. BUt she could terminate without any notice or 2 weeks written (DH is considering her comments giving notice since it was pretty threatening, who would take their kids back after that?). It doesn't say you can't use your vacation, we haven't used any.

She called and left me a message today saying we couldn't use the vacation. That the $175 deposit covered next week but we still owe her for this week. What do you guys think?
Tags:lack of communication, parental responsibility, potty training policy, provider responsibility, termination, unrealistic expectations
Up