Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG 5 in Diapers
Poptarts22 08:42 AM 08-26-2016
I have a new dcg. Been here one month. She has no medical conditions. She is 5 years old. Still in diapers and still takes a pacifier full time. (Mom was so proud her first day her because they just broke her of the baba (bottle). The last week she has been fighting a diaper rash. Mom sends no cream. I change her as needed at least every 2 hrs. Mom texted today saying that she needs changed more often to prevent further rashes. I'm a little miffed. I feel like mom is blaming my negligence on the fact daughter has a diaper rash.
Rockgirl 08:56 AM 08-26-2016
Yikes. I wouldn't have accepted this child into care....I might've given them a week before enrolling to ditch the binky and diapers first. Dcm wants an infant!
daycare 08:57 AM 08-26-2016
do you mind me asking the culture of this family. reason I ask, is that I know of many cultures that keep their children a "baby" as long as possible.
Leigh 09:07 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
I have a new dcg. Been here one month. She has no medical conditions. She is 5 years old. Still in diapers and still takes a pacifier full time. (Mom was so proud her first day her because they just broke her of the baba (bottle). The last week she has been fighting a diaper rash. Mom sends no cream. I change her as needed at least every 2 hrs. Mom texted today saying that she needs changed more often to prevent further rashes. I'm a little miffed. I feel like mom is blaming my negligence on the fact daughter has a diaper rash.
"Mom, your child has been sitting in her own excrement and urine for 5 years-diaper rashes are inevitable at times (this is what my pediatrician says). If you're concerned about the rash, then you MUST bring me diaper cream to protect her skin-without it, I can not help prevent a rash. Your child is changed at least every 2 hours, the frequency is not causing the rash, the lack of protective barrier is. Please show up on Monday with 2 tubes of diaper cream for your daughter".

That said, I would NOT be changing a 5 year old. I have had older kids who were in diapers, and there WERE medical reasons (intestinal blockage-after the parents FINALLY got treatment, the kids trained nearly instantly). They still changed themselves. l would start having the child clean herself up (even poop), help her with applying a skin protectant, and then hand her a diaper to put on herself.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
Just document the times you changed and submit to mom.

If she has issues with it, have her bring DCG to Dr and have the rash looked at. Most diaper rashes are easily cleared within a day or two with regular changing, cream application and regular bathing. If it isn't cleared up then a Dr visit might be necessary.

I am not going to comment on the child's age or make any negative statements about it because "to each his/her own" and when you (general you as a provider) accepts a child into care, no matter what age or development stage they are in, you are essentially agreeing to take on the whole child (positives and negatives) and you kind of have to expect that a parent that treats her 5 yr old the way she does probably comes with a few "issues" herself. kwim?
Poptarts22 09:14 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
do you mind me asking the culture of this family. reason I ask, is that I know of many cultures that keep their children a "baby" as long as possible.
Mom is Mexican and dad is from Belgium
daycare 10:46 AM 08-26-2016
Respecting their culture, I think that using what BC gave you is very good.

We can't change families beliefs. We can tell them until we are blue in the face, but they are going to do what they are going to do.

YOu have to realize that because this child has never been introduced or exposed to PTing, so they are really unconsciously aware. The parents are also more than likely in the same boat of awareness. Don't look at it as a bad thing and most of all don't focus on their age. AGE does not qualify a child's ability. Just work from the bottom up with it.

I see this a lot with families of this culture. I would perhaps tell them that the potty training needs to start ASAP, becuase school will not enroll the child if they are not. WHich by the way is NOT true, but it will create a lot of chaos and you don't want to start school out that way.

Best of luck to you. you do have a hard road ahead of you.
Miss A 11:45 AM 08-26-2016
At 5 she should have some self-help skills, and should be able to let you know when she has gone in her diaper. She is old enough to go I to the bathroom and wipe herself, to sit on the toilet and wipe herself clean of BM, and to put a new diaper on herself, especially if they are using the pull-up style. She will need supervision and lots of help at first, but because she is 5 I would think that she would catch on to the personal hygiene routine pretty quickly.
MunchkinWrangler 02:20 PM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just document the times you changed and submit to mom.

If she has issues with it, have her bring DCG to Dr and have the rash looked at. Most diaper rashes are easily cleared within a day or two with regular changing, cream application and regular bathing. If it isn't cleared up then a Dr visit might be necessary.

I am not going to comment on the child's age or make any negative statements about it because "to each his/her own" and when you (general you as a provider) accepts a child into care, no matter what age or development stage they are in, you are essentially agreeing to take on the whole child (positives and negatives) and you kind of have to expect that a parent that treats her 5 yr old the way she does probably comes with a few "issues" herself. kwim?
Yes!!! I have always suggested this for diaper rash and ALL of my parents always look at me weird...and then I look at them weird because it's like...when do you bathe your kid?

The answer, sadly, is that they don't remember.
Unregistered 11:52 AM 08-30-2016
About ten years ago, I had two parents who were obese. I swear they each weighed about 400lbs. They sort of looked like Mimi and Drew Carrey. We caught a rerun and my husband said "Look, it's Eric and Amy". LOL They were two of the smelliest people I ever met in my life. I just assumed they sweated a lot due to their restricted movement. I'll never forget they went somewhere for Christmas. When the little girl came back she told me the "Best part was I got to take a bath." The funny thing is I keep up with them on facebook and they're probably 600lbs now. The man is in a scooter. The daughter is a bean pole. They've since had a son and he must be like 8 and about 200lbs.
CalCare 03:15 PM 08-30-2016
Well, that comment is a bit mean about that couple and the child who "got to take a bath". I mean, that could mean anything- come on! Maybe she only had a shower (no actual bath) in her home. Maybe she was just excited about it because playing in the bath is fun- my 3 year old will say something like "yay, I got to take a bath!" and I assure you, he takes them quite often! And really, limited mobility and overweight would make them sweat more? What?! No, I think not.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Well, that comment is a bit mean about that couple and the child who "got to take a bath". I mean, that could mean anything- come on! Maybe she only had a shower (no actual bath) in her home. Maybe she was just excited about it because playing in the bath is fun- my 3 year old will say something like "yay, I got to take a bath!" and I assure you, he takes them quite often! And really, limited mobility and overweight would make them sweat more? What?! No, I think not.
I thought I had mentioned it in my first post, but the little girl always smelled foul, too. As I said, I was new and trying to make excuses as they were a nice family. It was just plain body odor. Honestly, I think they were too fat to shower or bath. Even then, use a rag to clean yourself. Some people, regardless of weight, don't bath for various reasons. Not too long ago I actually turned away a family. It was for twins. They both smelled. A body odor. Not a mess or one day thing. Like it was an embedded smell. The father went on a rant about a whole bunch of things, but my mind just said "Bye!" when he said "people give their kids too many baths".
Tags:5 year old, potty trained - not
Reply Up