Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nannyde...This Should Be Your Next Venture! :)
KAWISTA9 07:43 AM 11-21-2011
You know how Chef Ramsay revamps restaurants and Tabitha revamps hair salons??!! You should revamp Home Daycares! You can have your own show and call it DAYCARE NIGHTMARES!
DaycareMomma 07:46 AM 11-21-2011
I will offer up my daycare to be first!
Country Kids 07:50 AM 11-21-2011
I had actually thought of calling Super Nanny when she was still taping. Then I thought wow, if I did that wouldn't look good to future clients that I had to call someone in to teach me how to control children.
nannyde 09:10 AM 11-21-2011

Hehe

I don't think it would be very popular.
MissAnn 10:36 AM 11-21-2011
yes it woud be popular! People love to watch Supernanny because those kids are very out of control....and it makes parents feel comforted that at their kid isn't as wild as Suppernanny kids! I would watch it for sure! I won't offer up my daycare for it.......but I'd be your best fan!
rbmom 11:12 AM 11-21-2011
Awesome idea!!
nannyde 12:05 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
yes it woud be popular! People love to watch Supernanny because those kids are very out of control....and it makes parents feel comforted that at their kid isn't as wild as Suppernanny kids! I would watch it for sure! I won't offer up my daycare for it.......but I'd be your best fan!
Supernanny is popular for that reason and she makes it look like the techniques work.

What people don't realize is that her techniques don't work and that the only reason she gets film of them "working" is because she has the adults PLAY with the kids and do something new and special while she's showing how her technique works.

Have you ever noticed she never comes back and films them comando style like she films them for the begining of the show? She doesn't go back AFTER they have done the technique and just filmed their day to day life. You don't see them filming AFTER she has taught them the technique and they have TIME under their belts... and see the film of the kids behaving while Mom makes supper and cleans the kitchen. You do see them IN the kitchen afterwards but it is while they do SPECIAL crafts and SPECIAL games.

ALL of those families she has filmed with and nothing a year or so later. I think she's done one reunion show but it didn't show film of the peoples day to day life.

I'll betcha dollars to donuts it is in the contract that they can't go publicly about how her techniques "work".

The minute of time out for each year of life is rediculous. It doesn't work at all. The put to bed technique is also rediculous. If you have to do something 128 times over four hours it's a pretty good indication that it's too permissive.

I enjoy the show but I see the recipe of it and see how it became so popular. My techniques aren't even close to hers. I think most of her techniques are actually escalators not de-escaltors. I don't like sticker charts or reward charts. I don't mind the charts that say what you are to DO. I don't like the ones that are for what you GET.

I don't like her "choices" approach. I don't think little kids need a lot of choices and I don't think most of their daily cares should revolve around even two choices. I think little children need leadership and need to have a good block of time where they aren't in the chooser role.

I do like her approach to healthy food. I don't like snack containers or making a big deal of what they get to choose for treats.

She's made a good living off of her stuff tho so you have to give her that. I just don't see much real life substance in it... but I do see how sellable it is. It makes it look like you can do words and little consequence for big behavior and have it work. It does WORK as long as you are playing with them and doing special special. That's what she gets on tape and the public eats it up.
Michelle 12:13 PM 11-21-2011
what bedtime technique do you recommend?
If they won't stay in bed and are actually laughing at you every time you put them back.
What would you do?
Heidi 12:15 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Supernanny is popular for that reason and she makes it look like the techniques work.

What people don't realize is that her techniques don't work and that the only reason she gets film of them "working" is because she has the adults PLAY with the kids and do something new and special while she's showing how her technique works.

Have you ever noticed she never comes back and films them comando style like she films them for the begining of the show? She doesn't go back AFTER they have done the technique and just filmed their day to day life. You don't see them filming AFTER she has taught them the technique and they have TIME under their belts... and see the film of the kids behaving while Mom makes supper and cleans the kitchen. You do see them IN the kitchen afterwards but it is while they do SPECIAL crafts and SPECIAL games.

ALL of those families she has filmed with and nothing a year or so later. I think she's done one reunion show but it didn't show film of the peoples day to day life.

I'll betcha dollars to donuts it is in the contract that they can't go publicly about how her techniques "work".

The minute of time out for each year of life is rediculous. It doesn't work at all. The put to bed technique is also rediculous. If you have to do something 128 times over four hours it's a pretty good indication that it's too permissive.

I enjoy the show but I see the recipe of it and see how it became so popular. My techniques aren't even close to hers. I think most of her techniques are actually escalators not de-escaltors. I don't like sticker charts or reward charts. I don't mind the charts that say what you are to DO. I don't like the ones that are for what you GET.

I don't like her "choices" approach. I don't think little kids need a lot of choices and I don't think most of their daily cares should revolve around even two choices. I think little children need leadership and need to have a good block of time where they aren't in the chooser role.

I do like her approach to healthy food. I don't like snack containers or making a big deal of what they get to choose for treats.

She's made a good living off of her stuff tho so you have to give her that. I just don't see much real life substance in it... but I do see how sellable it is. It makes it look like you can do words and little consequence for big behavior and have it work. It does WORK as long as you are playing with them and doing special special. That's what she gets on tape and the public eats it up.
I don't care for the fact that she never, ever, uses natural consequences. It's always time out time out time out. If you don't eat, you leave the table and you go hungry until the next meal. You don't get a timeout, then go back to the table and eat!

I was always suspicious of how quickly each problem is solved. It took 4 years for a child (or children) to become a terror, and you fixed it in a day? uhh....yeah...
Christian Mother 12:17 PM 11-21-2011
That would be awesome and I really think it would be a hit. There are a lot of reality tv shows out there just garage but I really liked the Nanny 101 and super nanny....they didn't have one for daycare though. I just thought to apply what supernanny said for home but sometimes things that are taught in the home won't apply for daycare as I am not the parent of the daycare kids so I won't know how to use some of the tec. they have on there...hmmmm!!
christinaskids 12:17 PM 11-21-2011
A lot of those kids are acting out for attention because mommy and daddy are too engrossed in work or their own lives to know how to parent effectively. We have all had the kids that their parents run to the store before they pick them up cuz the parents cant handle one or two children in a grocery store. She does a good job at intervening and making parents see what they are doing wrong. I agree with nan on the bedtime thing. I am not sitting with my kid for two hours on the floor while they try to go to sleep, thats ridiculous. I do agree with offering kids two choices so they see that actions have reactions and it also teaches them that the decisions they make have an effect. Sometimes i tell the children they have the choice of doing what i say or consequence. "You can put the blocks away or go into time out those are your choices"
Heidi 12:28 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
If they won't stay in bed and are actually laughing at you every time you put them back.
What would you do?
I don't know what Nan will say, but I say, don't go there in the first place!

Let's see:
If they won't sleep in their bed at 6 months, it's not going to get better at 12 months, or 2 years, or 7.

If they don't sleep well in a crib, they certainly aren't going to stay in a bed.

If they get out of the crib, they will def. get out of a bed!

When you move them to a bed, keep the crib handy for a while. They get out of bed, they go back in the crib. For climbers, I would use a sleep-sack.

If the damage is done? They would get a choice. Lay in your bed with a book, or if you get out, you loose the privilege. If they get out of bed again and again and again?I would put a lock on their door!

I would only do this with my own kids, but never had to. With dc kids, they would learn quickly, or someone would be looking for other daycare!
Michelle 12:43 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:

Let's see:
If they won't sleep in their bed at 6 months, it's not going to get better at 12 months, or 2 years, or 7.

If they don't sleep well in a crib, they certainly aren't going to stay in a bed.

When you move them to a bed, keep the crib handy for a while. They get out of bed, they go back in the crib. For climbers, I would use a sleep-sack.

If the damage is done? They would get a choice. Lay in your bed with a book, or if you get out, you loose the privilege. If they get out of bed again and again and again?I would put a lock on their door!

I would only do this with my own kids, but never had to. With dc kids, they would learn quickly, or someone would be looking for other daycare!
I have never had a problem with this in my own kids but some of my parents ask me for advise and I tell them about super nanny's method.
I just think super nanny's methods work. I actually did the bedtime technique
with my niece and it worked.
I do agree with Nan about reward charts, we shouldn't have them.
DaycareMomma 01:27 PM 11-21-2011
Ok, so I responded too fast to this. I wouldn't wanna do a daycare nightmares show, but if Nan wanted to come in and help me reorganize my space and show me how to better utilize my time (sorta Extreme Home Makeover type of show) I'd be all game for THAT.
Michelle 01:42 PM 11-21-2011
I have always thought it would be funny to have a "reversal role type show"
It's where licensing inspectors and food program reps get to run our daycare for a week. Cameras everywhere and we get to pick our "favorite" kids for them to take care of.

They will have fun enforcing rules, keeping the house "Licensing rules clean"
dealing with parents, and diapers,and be expected to do everything we do and we get to watch all the fun.

Maybe someday...

I still think the Nannyde show would be cool
KAWISTA9 03:09 PM 11-21-2011
I was kinda meaning that she could deal with out of control daycares. Some daycare owners need help and direction...they need help with having functional days; sticking to routines...what the kids do when they go home, stays at home but at DAYCARE, it won't fly(nannyde style!)
MyAngels 03:21 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by KAWISTA9:
I was kinda meaning that she could deal with out of control daycares. Some daycare owners need help and direction...they need help with having functional days; sticking to routines...what the kids do when they go home, stays at home but at DAYCARE, it won't fly(nannyde style!)
I'm sure Nannyde will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think she's already got a consulting business going for daycare providers.
nannyde 03:26 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by KAWISTA9:
he he he

Say it with me ladies: GO PLAY TOYS
Francine 03:49 AM 11-22-2011
What would you do?
With my DD we put a child safty handle on the inside of her door so that she couldn't open the door from the inside. She was young enough at the time that she didn't try to take the handle off as I assume some older more determined kids would. It took a week or so for her to figure out that it wasn't worth the effort and finally just gave up. This was for nap time though, both of my girls were very easy to put to bed at night. Good routine and consistency, we had friends over one night when 8:00 came around. My youngest was busy playing, she was probably about 18 months at the time, I picked her up and said " say night night" and off we went and I was back two minutes later. My friend was amazed and even said " how did you do that" these friends would put their kids to bed, read them a million stories, lay with them until they were sleeping etc. etc. I didn't have time for all of that, we needed our Mommy Daddy time too, our girls just new that bed time was bedtime. I guess we had it easy.
nannyde 04:18 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm sure Nannyde will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think she's already got a consulting business going for daycare providers.
Yes I do

www.daycarewhisperer.com
nannyde 04:26 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:

Let's see:

Yes that's close. I wouldn't do a book thing though. I don't like anything in bed with them at this age but lovies.

I wouldn't let it get to the point of a four year old refusing to lay down. You start when they are little and YOU decide what time they go down and what time they get up... not based on protest or crying... based on the sleep and rest they need.

If a four year old isn't minding the adult and staying in bed you have a defiance issue not a bed time issue.

THAT has to be dealt with FIRST.
beachgrl 09:07 AM 11-22-2011
he he he

Say it with me ladies: GO PLAY TOYS
Haha, I have seen this particular response so many times by nannyde that I have begun saying to my toddlers....lol
nannyde 09:27 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Haha, I have seen this particular response so many times by nannyde that I have begun saying to my toddlers....lol
Yes

that's the idea

I catch myself saying it to my puppies
Heidi 10:18 AM 11-22-2011
Yes

that's the idea

I catch myself saying it to my puppies
Ya, I've heard myself say things like "I know you want to go outside, but I have my hands full" or "You are barking because you want water" to my Shih-Tzu!
BigMama 02:20 PM 11-22-2011

Question: Isn't the point of her "technique" that the parents are playing with their children? Isn't part of her method having the parents engage the children? Why do you think that is bad? Or am I misunderstanding you?
MissAnn 02:52 PM 11-22-2011

I like her no nonsense attitude. I don't like the constant time outs and sticker charts. I do like the entertainment value.
MissAnn 02:54 PM 11-22-2011
I have always thought it would be funny to have a "reversal role type show"
It's where licensing inspectors and food program reps get to run our daycare for a week. Cameras everywhere and we get to pick our "favorite" kids for them to take care of.

They will have fun enforcing rules, keeping the house "Licensing rules clean"
dealing with parents, and diapers,and be expected to do everything we do and we get to watch all the fun.

Maybe someday...

I still think the Nannyde show would be cool
This is genius!
nannyde 02:56 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Question: Isn't the point of her "technique" that the parents are playing with their children? Isn't part of her method having the parents engage the children? Why do you think that is bad? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Because they didn't have problems with the kids before the show when the adults are entertaining them and playing with them. As long as the adults are hitched to their minute to minute happiness doing new and special they are all good.

Notice that the filming they do when the kids are going ballistic is when the parents are saying you must...

you must sit at the table and eat a proper dinner
you must entertain yourself while I cook supper
you must go to bed
you must pick up your room
you must get in the car
you must stay near the cart in the store and keep your hands to yourself
you must get dressed

I'm saying they don't film her techniques after she leaves ... months down the road... and find out how her techniques work with the "you musts" of life.

That's what makes the difference. That's what's hard. It's not hard to get kids to behave when you are doing something adult generated, adult participated, and NEW... exciting and fun.

Her formula makes it possible to film a happy ending as long as the adults are doing special special.

Many of the familes she worked with actually had a LOT of adult involvement with the kids. Adults doing as the child wanted... not children doing what the adults want.... doing WHATEVER it takes so the child doesn't cry.

That's WAY more work over the long run then making them behave and be decent people. The long run isn't what the kid is after. The kids is after right now. Her formula has the adults doing NEW special special on top of right now... and it looks great on tape. It's empty and doesn't work because all she is adding into their life is a layer of new and special. She's not REALLY dealing with the no cry parenting or the peace at any price.

There HAS to be a reason why she is NOT going back and filming these kids years down the line. That's the LOGICAL thing to do when you come in and transform a family. It's just like the hoarders... you don't see filming a year from now because cleaning it up superficially doesn't get to the root of the hoarding.

I'm not saying all of her techniques don't work. I can see the old school british nanny thing in her approach. I like how over time she got more froggy with the parents ... more Dr Phillish. I like her ideas of respect.

I specifically don't agree with the minute for time out.
I don't agree with getting down to the childs level in discipline
I don't agree with reward charts.
I don't agree with the "sorry" part of the end of time out.

I think she has missed a helacious opportunity to dispel the idea that fathers are "helping" the mothers when they cook, clean, do laundry, and care for the kids. When men are doing housework and child care for the family it is their JOB ... they are not helpers. I would have much rather seen THAT be the take away from her shows then the "minute for each age" for time out as the fundamental discipline technique.

When I watch her shows I pretty much just watch the crazy kid part. I think that's interesting. Once it gets to the part where the kid sucker punches the Mom and kicks her in the face... and they end up on a step for three minutes and say they are "sorry" ... I'm done.
Tags:nannyde
Reply Up