Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanks for the Backbone Ladies!!
MunchkinWrangler 09:21 AM 07-18-2016
Well, I did it. Sent an obviously sick child home. All the signs were there, they were extremely late and there was mention of minor symptoms. Which, of course, were more than described.

After having all your voices(especially BlackCat) run through my head about standing firm to my policies, taking the emotion out, and making sure that I follow my own rules. I came to the conclusion that unless I sent home I was sending a message that the recent letter on my illness would be moot.

So thanks so much. I feel in control today and haven't felt that way in a long time!!!
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Well, I did it. Sent an obviously sick child home. All the signs were there, they were extremely late and there was mention of minor symptoms. Which, of course, were more than described.

After having all your voices(especially BlackCat) run through my head about standing firm to my policies, taking the emotion out, and making sure that I follow my own rules. I came to the conclusion that unless I sent home I was sending a message that the recent letter on my illness would be moot.

So thanks so much. I feel in control today and haven't felt that way in a long time!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!

It DOES feel good doesn't it?
Snowmom 09:28 AM 07-18-2016

MunchkinWrangler 10:51 AM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

WAY TO GO!!!!!!

It DOES feel good doesn't it?
Yes it does! I never realized that some of these kids just get sick ALL YEAR ROUND. I just don't think it's healthy. Is this the norm? Because I never had problems like this with my own son at such a young age and this is a child who is only here every other week.
Annalee 10:58 AM 07-18-2016
Yes it does! I never realized that some of these kids just get sick ALL YEAR ROUND. I just don't think it's healthy. Is this the norm? Because I never had problems like this with my own son at such a young age and this is a child who is only here every other week.
Ironically, when I am closed a few days, my kids come back with runny noses....BUT when we are open and all are coming steadily, I have very little sickness...
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 07-18-2016
Mostly I believe the root of it is due to no consistency or routine at home. Everyone is on the go constantly, dinner is often eaten in the car in between extra curricular activities.

The constant "on the go" routine is the root of almost all of the kids' health issues.

Once I got my clients to truly understand how to maintain good health as well as how to recover (rest...quality rest) from it, I no longer have the sicknesses passed back and forth or the kid with the never ending runny nose/cough.

Good sleep, LOTS of exercise and good food is the foundation for everything else.
MunchkinWrangler 12:01 PM 07-18-2016
Mostly I believe the root of it is due to no consistency or routine at home. Everyone is on the go constantly, dinner is often eaten in the car in between extra curricular activities.

The constant "on the go" routine is the root of almost all of the kids' health issues.

Once I got my clients to truly understand how to maintain good health as well as how to recover (rest...quality rest) from it, I no longer have the sicknesses passed back and forth or the kid with the never ending runny nose/cough.

Good sleep, LOTS of exercise and good food is the foundation for everything else.
I really think that makes a lot of sense. Not to toot my own horn here, but I have a pretty consistent schedule with my DS and I make sure he gets essential nutrition(even the low blood counts were not nutrition related, not even in the slightest, that is what made it so scary) and as much outside activity as possible.

I think all of us as parents do have the busy weekends and on the go snacks and meals but it definitely isn't the 'norm.' It does make me wonder who's needs are being taken care of at home. I am trying to remove myself from caring and/or judging because it is not my place. And I have already spent too much time trying to fix other people's issues. That is the other change I am making. I refuse to get involved anymore. If a child has an issue, I'm making it not my problem. I will only work on things here and while the child is in my care. No more advice, suggestions, or involvement from me. I find I have a more stress free communication with parents and also my free time.
MunchkinWrangler 12:03 PM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Ironically, when I am closed a few days, my kids come back with runny noses....BUT when we are open and all are coming steadily, I have very little sickness...
I think BlackCat is right. The routines at home, or lack thereof, as well as(IMO) not being vigilant with handwashing and hygiene during visits and outings is a huge factor in this issue.
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 07-18-2016
I think BlackCat is right. The routines at home, or lack thereof, as well as(IMO) not being vigilant with handwashing and hygiene during visits and outings is a huge factor in this issue.
I use this letter at the beginning of the cold/flu season but you could probably alter/edit it and send home as a reminder to parents in regards to your thoughts on illnesses and having to be excluded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
MunchkinWrangler 09:59 AM 07-19-2016
I use this letter at the beginning of the cold/flu season but you could probably alter/edit it and send home as a reminder to parents in regards to your thoughts on illnesses and having to be excluded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks! Ugh, now I'm getting flack and being asked to reassess by illness policy. I don't want to put too much info on here for fear of them possibly finding the thread but I communicated that I have no current illness at the moment and I'm required to limit exposure.

I guess we'll just see. I know in about a month the requests for daycare will increase so I'll just start to interview. I also have a vacation planned(going to Duluth!!! If I have time and you it would be awesome to have coffee ) and really don't want illness to destroy another vacation this year.
Blackcat31 10:18 AM 07-19-2016
Thanks! Ugh, now I'm getting flack and being asked to reassess by illness policy. I don't want to put too much info on here for fear of them possibly finding the thread but I communicated that I have no current illness at the moment and I'm required to limit exposure.

I guess we'll just see. I know in about a month the requests for daycare will increase so I'll just start to interview. I also have a vacation planned(going to Duluth!!! If I have time and you it would be awesome to have coffee ) and really don't want illness to destroy another vacation this year.
I PMed you.
Tags:backbone
Reply Up