Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Just An Employee...
busymommy0420 03:55 PM 02-21-2012
So much for having sweet and compassionate bosses??? I e-mailed my parents and told them I was ill and am on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I said I would stay open but they should use their discretion...Um why didn't I just close??? The one Mom came here today at her normal pick up with her face all made up, she said she was at the mall getting a makeover. I am here sick but still taking care of her daughter 10 hours today and she is getting a makeover? Wouldn't most Mom's want to pick their children up if the provider is not feeling well?? This is the same Mom who I called last week to pick her daughter up after she had diarrhea and she told me she had a big meeting and would come when she could. GRRRRR I hate being sick!!! and hate just being an employee with not so nice bosses. I know it is my business and I could term and bla bla bla but I lost a family last week to a provider half my price so I really can't afford to loose another. We are hoping to put an addition on our home.
daycare 04:19 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
So much for having sweet and compassionate bosses??? I e-mailed my parents and told them I was ill and am on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I said I would stay open but they should use their discretion...Um why didn't I just close??? The one Mom came here today at her normal pick up with her face all made up, she said she was at the mall getting a makeover. I am here sick but still taking care of her daughter 10 hours today and she is getting a makeover? Wouldn't most Mom's want to pick their children up if the provider is not feeling well?? This is the same Mom who I called last week to pick her daughter up after she had diarrhea and she told me she had a big meeting and would come when she could. GRRRRR I hate being sick!!! and hate just being an employee with not so nice bosses. I know it is my business and I could term and bla bla bla but I lost a family last week to a provider half my price so I really can't afford to loose another. We are hoping to put an addition on our home.
dO YOU WORK FOR A CENTER?

Who are your bosses? I am confused... YOu say you own your own business, then that would mean that you are the boss????
busymommy0420 04:22 PM 02-21-2012
It is my business and the parents are my bosses...in a way! I can't loose anyone right now so I am stuck. Sorry to confuse you. I am just sick and feel it was not a good day for a Mom to get a makeover is all.
daycare 04:25 PM 02-21-2012
well I don't think as you do... I am my own boss and I own my own business. I offer a service for clients WHO are NOT my bosses in anyway shape or form.

I write the rules they can choose to follow them or they can find another childcare.
As for you opening, don't mean to sound rude, but you kind of did that too yourself. Trust me, I have done it too. It only took me once to do that to never do it again.
busymommy0420 04:27 PM 02-21-2012
Lesson Learned!!! Thanks.
daycare 04:34 PM 02-21-2012
you know when I first started childcare I thought the parents were my bosses too because they paid me....Over time I learned that this is why I was always so unhappy. They walked all over me...

Until I decided that I was the one in charge and the boss of things, I was miserable. I am going on year 9 right now and I love my job. Can't always say that, there are times that I am down and out upset, but this site has really helped me learn a lot of valuable lessons and also build a backbone.
Michael 05:00 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
you know when I first started childcare I thought the parents were my bosses too because they paid me....Over time I learned that this is why I was always so unhappy. They walked all over me...

Until I decided that I was the one in charge and the boss of things, I was miserable. I am going on year 9 right now and I love my job. Can't always say that, there are times that I am down and out upset, but this site has really helped me learn a lot of valuable lessons and also build a backbone.
Very true. Take control.
e.j. 05:14 PM 02-21-2012
well I don't think as you do... I am my own boss and I own my own business. I offer a service for clients WHO are NOT my bosses in anyway shape or form.

I write the rules they can choose to follow them or they can find another childcare.

If you're sick and don't feel well enough to care for the kids, make the decision to close. Don't expect parents to "do the right thing". Sometimes, you have to take the choice right out of their hands.
DaycareMommmy 05:44 PM 02-21-2012

As for you opening, don't mean to sound rude, but you kind of did that too yourself. Trust me, I have done it too. It only took me once to do that to never do it again.
I agree with this 100%. The parents are NOT your boss. I do understand needing the money and not wanting to close or turn them away. Do you have a substitute that can stand in for you on sick days?
saved4always 05:54 PM 02-21-2012
Absolutely agree that the parents are NOT my "bosses"! I have my policies that I created for my business; parents had no input into these. If my clients do not like my policies, they are free to find other care just as I am free to term or not even agree to provide care if they are not a fit. They do not have the power to set my rates, how many hours I work, what the rules of my home are, etc. They do not have the power to change or modify my policies or pay...only I can do that. The only thing they have the power to do is to take there children somewhere else. This is MY home business, so I am my own boss.
cheerfuldom 07:32 PM 02-21-2012
Really, it is best to just always assume that the parents are going to do what is in their best interest. It will be easier for you just to accept that and not get your hopes up that parents will see your view or take your personal life into consideration. There are always exceptions of course but now you know, if you need the day off, just take it. If you are open, 99% of the time, all the daycare kids will be there all day regardless of what the parents are or are not doing.
daycare 08:19 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Really, it is best to just always assume that the parents are going to do what is in their best interest. It will be easier for you just to accept that and not get your hopes up that parents will see your view or take your personal life into consideration. There are always exceptions of course but now you know, if you need the day off, just take it. If you are open, 99% of the time, all the daycare kids will be there all day regardless of what the parents are or are not doing.
so very very true...Well said
Unregistered 11:26 AM 02-22-2012
You are your own boss!!! The families that bring their children to you for child care are your clients but they are not your boss!!! Please remember that because knowing the distinction between an employer/employee relationship and a provider of services/client relationship!
Tags:sickness
Reply Up