Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Breakfast
countrymom 10:13 AM 06-23-2011
I don't feed brk. to before school kids if they arrive after 8am. So this girl always comes late, today she tells me that she had a freeze and a granola bar for breakfast, but she goes on to tell me that she brushed her teeth before she had the freeze. I don't know how she functions at school, I know that her lunch is filled with junk too, oh wait, she does poorly at school, I see and read the notes all the time. Parents don't care, I usually get "she doesn't want to eat" um ok, but when she's doing poorly at school don't blame the teacher.
Meyou 10:17 AM 06-23-2011
My lowest energy kid is the one who eats Cinnamon Toast Crunch with no milk for breakfast and the highest energy ones all eat oatmeal. I totally hear you. I don't get not giving your kids healthy foods so they have sustained energy both mentally and physically.
MarinaVanessa 02:30 PM 06-23-2011
I had a mom that would drop off after breakfast pretty much routinely - sometimes 45 minutes to an hour after I had CLEANED UP breakfast and complain about how her kid was hungry. I would just tell her that I serve breakfast at the same time everyday and that if he wasn't here between breakfast times that she should feed him something at home before she brings him here and she had the guts to get mad at me .

I don't understand how there are some parents that think that not giving their kids breakfast in the morning doesn't effect them.
Kaddidle Care 02:40 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had a mom that would drop off after breakfast pretty much routinely - sometimes 45 minutes to an hour after I had CLEANED UP breakfast and complain about how her kid was hungry. I would just tell her that I serve breakfast at the same time everyday and that if he wasn't here between breakfast times that she should feed him something at home before she brings him here and she had the guts to get mad at me .

I don't understand how there are some parents that think that not giving their kids breakfast in the morning doesn't effect them.
We had one that always wanted more and more and more snack. Come to find out the child wasn't getting any breakfast. Now class started at 9:00 - they were often late and I just can't believe they would let the child go to class hungry. LAZY!

I always insist my child eats at least something for breakfast, even if it's just a piece of fruit. It may not be traditional breakfast food but at least it's something to fuel him so that he's not starving and distracted in class.

A lot of parents spend way too much $$ on junk for their kid's lunches. We usually save anything sweet for the after nap snack but it's just one thing. Sometimes their lunchbox is loaded with junk.

Fruit roll ups are the worst and it seems like the worst behaved children get them with one of those little chef boyardee lunch things. One child got the same thing every day and he'd whine and cry that he was sick of it. We didn't blame him and we told his parents and day after day it was the same thing. Poor kid.

The worst thing ever is those TV dinners for kids - I can't remember the name of them but you literally have to play with them to heat them up. Take this out, cover that, put this back in, take that out. What a PITA AND the kids don't like them!
countrymom 04:07 PM 06-23-2011
yesterday I went on a field trip to the detroit science center with mdd, I was so floored at what kids eat in their lunch. OMG, I had to pick my mouth off the floor. The amount of pop the kids drink is totally crazy. And you wonder why kids are fat. Its not the schools fault its the parents. What gets me the most are the ones who complain (even my dcf's) how they have to pack a lunch for 1 kid and get them breakfast, yet I have 4 kids, so that means 4 different breakfasts and 4 lunches everyday 5 days a week. My 2 odd's will eat fruit in the morning too (ok, they fight over the last apple or banana, today it was who took the last orange) but its something and its something healthy.

at the science center they had all sorts of things about junk food and it was really good, this weekend i"m taking the rest of my kids and getting a membership (my kids love science) and its only 15min from the border, but when I started reading alot of that info I was shocked. They had this one part where it showed stuff that you would think that it was healthy but it really wasn't.
Auntie 05:14 PM 06-23-2011
My daughter who is NOT an early morning breakfast eater at home before school requested that I buy go gurt so she can just grab that and go to the bus. I did that at least it was something. She then would buy a breakfast at school. I didn't mind as long as it was healthy. She didn't do that all the time but every once in awhile.

She is one who has to be up for awhile then eat. I don't know if it is all in her head or not.
cheerfuldom 06:13 PM 06-23-2011
This is all parents that can't say no to their kid so they ignore everything else. Stuffing your kid with pop tarts and the like is way easier than requiring that the family get up at decent time and have a decent breakfast. Instant oatmeal only takes a few minutes to boil water in a kettle and another 30 seconds to get a banana from the fridge. Some people are just extremely lazy and undisciplined. Pair that with the inability to say no to junior when he cries for sugar cereal and thats what happens.
Meyou 03:30 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
This is all parents that can't say no to their kid so they ignore everything else. Stuffing your kid with pop tarts and the like is way easier than requiring that the family get up at decent time and have a decent breakfast. Instant oatmeal only takes a few minutes to boil water in a kettle and another 30 seconds to get a banana from the fridge. Some people are just extremely lazy and undisciplined. Pair that with the inability to say no to junior when he cries for sugar cereal and thats what happens.
Instant oatmeal is so easy my 7 year old makes it herself other than pouring the water from the kettle. All I hear is, "Mama, can you come pour my water please?" She even turns the kettle on.

There is no excuse for no healthy food in the morning even if it's just fruit. Fruit can't be any easier for parents.
countrymom 06:08 AM 06-24-2011
my kids are odd, they like to eat soup for breakfast. But even buying muffins and throwing them in the freezer, how hard is it to micro a muffin, even waffles in a toaster I think its just parents being lazy. I understand some kids can't eat right away, then i would offer at least some fruit, but a fruit roll up is not a heathly choice. Oh eggs are easy to make too in the micro, my 8 yr old makes them all the time he's on an egg kick lately.
MarinaVanessa 06:32 AM 06-24-2011
You know it's one thing to not want to get up earlier to feed your kids at home in the a.m. and deal with it yourself but it's a completely other thing to send your kids to daycare/school hungry. If a parent wants to deal with a hungry child of theirs well that's their choice but who wants to deal with a cranky/hungry child that belongs to someone else? Unfortunately people don't want to put in the effort into something when it becomes "difficult" and they would rather not deal with it.

The DCM that I mentioned was ALWAYS running late. She never had enough time to get herself together much less feed her son breakfast. She'd let him sleep in late until about 9 or 10am so that she could get ready and then wake him up to bring him to DC and drop him off here about 9:30am or later a lot. Here breakfast is at 7am because I have to leave to drop off my DD at school at 7:30am and a.m. snack is at 9a.m. That means that her son would often have to wait until 11:30a.m. for lunch and that would be his first big meal of the day. I would give him fruit to snack on to hold him over and I don't know about you ladies but here if you give one a banana, they all want a banana. Me, I'm an overachiever. My DD gets 2 breakfasts - one here with the DC kids and again at school. She's a growing girl I'm surprised she's so petite.
Tags:breakfast
Reply Up