Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Consider Taking This Family?
Momof2Boys 06:53 AM 08-19-2010
A mom emailed this to me last night:

i am a mother of three children who is looking for childcare. I am currently working as a nurse and more than likely my shift will be 2pm to 10pm and my husbands shift is 4pm-2pm so i am in need of childcare from about 1pm to 10pm i dont know if that is something you are able to do but if you are please email me thanks alot

Her children are 11 months, 2 years, and 4 years, my boys are 10 months and 3 years, so the ages would be close! The days (well nights) would be Tuesday through Friday. Anyway, I am not sure what I think about taking children that late in the day. My husband works days, so that wouldn't leave many nights for us, BUT he has Sundays & Mondays off so I would be able to have those days with him (which I don't get with my current job). And then there is the rates. What do you charge for three children AND evening care? My first thought was $65 a night, that's just barely over $20 for each child, and $260 for a week. Would this sound fair? The typical going rate for DAY time care for one child here is $25-30 a day. I could really use the help! I am desperate to quit my job and to be able to do daycare, but I am not sure if this could be the right decision.

What would YOU do?
DCMomOf3 07:06 AM 08-19-2010
First, I would discuss it with your husband since he will be very affected by the schedule too. If he is not supportive of the late nights it will cause a lot of stress. I would go for it though if you can talk him into it.

If it were me and the going rate is $25-$30 for days (per child), I'd say $30-$35 for the schedule they are asking, but I hope someone here who actually does evening care can shed light on what they do.
DBug 07:11 AM 08-19-2010
I would say no, because my family time is a huge priority for me. But it all depends on your family and how they would feel about it. Are your kids and husband okay with it? Cuz' if they're not, no amount of money is worth it
SunflowerMama 07:25 AM 08-19-2010
I would say no too because I would definitely regret losing the family time (especially with it being 3 additional kids). But of course it totally depends on your family situation and financial needs if you feel like you could take them on without too much disruption.
Jewels 08:16 AM 08-19-2010
Three additional children in the evenings until 10pm, Thats alot, Never being able to go out to dinner, or go with your kids to grab ice cream after dinner, Family bike rides, family walks, Going to sporting events, Would this be temporary or for a long time, think about in a couple years when your 3 year old could start a pee-wee sport or something, you wouldnt be able to attend. My husband would never be able to handle having to deal with 3 other children all night, He has a hard time with the couple hours he gets here before the children go home, He always feels like he has to help me, which he doesn't......I know quitting the job would be nice, but is it worth it?? I would definatly charge a much higher rate for those hours.
Lilbutterflie 08:24 AM 08-19-2010
I would also say no. Evening time and weekend time is FAMILY time for us. Thinking about your husband's work hours and days off, the only time you would get as a family would be Sunday, and Monday until 1pm. That's rough.
About the rate; I watch a family of 3 kids, and I give them a 10% discount because of multiple children. My normal rate is $125/wk per child; but they actually pay every two weeks, so their rate for all 3 with the discount is $675 every two weeks. I think $65 per night sounds a little low given the normal rate in your area is $25-$30/day AND you would be watching them at night, which are not normal work hours.
I also noticed something about her wording in the email; she said MOST LIKELY her hours would be 1p - 10p. I don't really know any nurses that just work 8 hour days (with a 1 hr lunch). The nurses I've always known do 12hr shifts. AND they usually do not have set schedules, they range from day to day. I could be wrong, but I doubt she would have a set schedule with only 8 hr days.
Momof2Boys 08:24 AM 08-19-2010
Thank you so much for the responses!

My first thought was, "I could do this temporarily until I find a full-time child during the day," but I don't want to be that kind of provider. The one who drops a family for something better and leaves that family hanging. Our family has been "dropped" by a few providers over the last few months for various reasons, and it is very stressful.

I think you all are right, for the benefit of my family and our time together, I should turn this family down. Something better is bound to come along eventually!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:55 AM 08-19-2010
at this time in my life no,.. but about 17 yrs ago I did only second shift care. LOVED it. I also would charge a premium for the time because its an off shift. I charged 75 per week for seconds per child,.. and the going rate for fullt ime days was 55. Now its 130 for days,.. and 160 per child for nights.
GretasLittleFriends 09:05 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Jewels:
Three additional children in the evenings until 10pm, Thats alot, Never being able to go out to dinner, or go with your kids to grab ice cream after dinner, Family bike rides, family walks, Going to sporting events, Would this be temporary or for a long time, think about in a couple years when your 3 year old could start a pee-wee sport or something, you wouldnt be able to attend. My husband would never be able to handle having to deal with 3 other children all night, He has a hard time with the couple hours he gets here before the children go home, He always feels like he has to help me, which he doesn't......I know quitting the job would be nice, but is it worth it?? I would definatly charge a much higher rate for those hours.
Why not???????

I take kids in the evening. It's really not that bad. My son played t-ball this spring and I went to almost every one of his games. We missed one because I totally spaced it. My daycare kids go along. My teenager is in band at school. I've been to the HS talent show and ALL of her band concerts in the evenings. I just bring the daycare kids. It's a "cultural experience" for them. They like the music and I like being able to watch my daughter. I just treat the dc kids like family members. We still go for walks, we've gone out for ice cream (ask the one boy how his mini blizzard was the other day)... I even took a daycare girl on a long hike that originally was just going to be family. In a pinch last year I took a daycare girl along to our Thanksgiving family gathering. It was no big deal to have an extra person...

As far as charging for them, yes, I'd likely charge a little more maybe $5 a day more than you planed to charge. There is the argument, you might be doing less with them (no preschool cirriculum, less crafts and the like) but it's more of your "personal" time, so to many people is worth more.
momofboys 09:28 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
A mom emailed this to me last night:

i am a mother of three children who is looking for childcare. I am currently working as a nurse and more than likely my shift will be 2pm to 10pm and my husbands shift is 4pm-2pm so i am in need of childcare from about 1pm to 10pm i dont know if that is something you are able to do but if you are please email me thanks alot

Her children are 11 months, 2 years, and 4 years, my boys are 10 months and 3 years, so the ages would be close! The days (well nights) would be Tuesday through Friday. Anyway, I am not sure what I think about taking children that late in the day. My husband works days, so that wouldn't leave many nights for us, BUT he has Sundays & Mondays off so I would be able to have those days with him (which I don't get with my current job). And then there is the rates. What do you charge for three children AND evening care? My first thought was $65 a night, that's just barely over $20 for each child, and $260 for a week. Would this sound fair? The typical going rate for DAY time care for one child here is $25-30 a day. I could really use the help! I am desperate to quit my job and to be able to do daycare, but I am not sure if this could be the right decision.

What would YOU do?

So you would have this family Tues-Fri (4 days) from 2- 10 pm (8 hrs x 4 = 32 hours). I would think it would be doable. I personally think it would be more difficult but if you have a schedule & stick with it you should be fine. You will have Sunday & Monday with your husband & family (your new weekend) plus Saturdays at home with the kids by yourself. (is that right?) I have school age kids, for me I would not like "entertaining" late in the evening. However, I don't think it would be too tough to entertain a few extra at a ball game, etc with my husband's assistance. I would suggest if you decide to do it you put in your contract that you will have a 4 week trial period to see how everyone adjusts. That way you have an out in case it is not good for your family. Regarding pay I would say to charge at least $70-75/day --those are late hours & not the norm. You are definitely entitled to that much caring for 3 kids for 8 hours that are late. So at least $280 - 300 a week. Good luck with your decision!
DCMomOf3 09:59 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
So you would have this family Tues-Fri (4 days) from 2- 10 pm (8 hrs x 4 = 32 hours). I would think it would be doable. I personally think it would be more difficult but if you have a schedule & stick with it you should be fine. You will have Sunday & Monday with your husband & family (your new weekend) plus Saturdays at home with the kids by yourself. (is that right?) I have school age kids, for me I would not like "entertaining" late in the evening. However, I don't think it would be too tough to entertain a few extra at a ball game, etc with my husband's assistance. I would suggest if you decide to do it you put in your contract that you will have a 4 week trial period to see how everyone adjusts. That way you have an out in case it is not good for your family. Regarding pay I would say to charge at least $70-75/day --those are late hours & not the norm. You are definitely entitled to that much caring for 3 kids for 8 hours that are late. So at least $280 - 300 a week. Good luck with your decision!
Also, you would have every morning until after lunch with your kids without dcks.
Jewels 10:31 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Why not???????

I take kids in the evening. It's really not that bad. My son played t-ball this spring and I went to almost every one of his games. We missed one because I totally spaced it. My daycare kids go along. My teenager is in band at school. I've been to the HS talent show and ALL of her band concerts in the evenings. I just bring the daycare kids. It's a "cultural experience" for them. They like the music and I like being able to watch my daughter. I just treat the dc kids like family members. We still go for walks, we've gone out for ice cream (ask the one boy how his mini blizzard was the other day)... I even took a daycare girl on a long hike that originally was just going to be family. In a pinch last year I took a daycare girl along to our Thanksgiving family gathering. It was no big deal to have an extra person...

As far as charging for them, yes, I'd likely charge a little more maybe $5 a day more than you planed to charge. There is the argument, you might be doing less with them (no preschool cirriculum, less crafts and the like) but it's more of your "personal" time, so to many people is worth more.
Not everyone has vehicles with space for 5 carseats/boosters, and 2 adults... And I like to treat my own children to ice cream, But adding on 3 more would get spendy, I'm sure the parents would pitch in, but again, while walks work, dont have vehicle space for that many children, And we take family bike rides in the evening with the bike trailer, again with 5 children, That wouldnt work......I love my daycare kids.........and they are family during the day, But they are not My personal family, And I like doing special things like going to the ice cream parlor with my own children, they share me all day, They shouldnt have to come evening, my husband and my children deserve my attention all on them, come dinner, And after dinner, and bath time, and bedtime, That is very special time. And while it works for you, which is awesome, some people around have to do evening care, I think the majority of people this doesnt work for, and most would have to sacrifice alot, taking on 3 additional children in the evening..
DCMomOf3 10:46 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
Would the dad be able dropping off before his shift since it starts later? that would be another thing to consider if you haven't made your mind up yet.
mncare 10:51 AM 08-19-2010
I would NEVER do evening care, but that is just me. That is my family time and there is no way I would want to bring other kids to our family events. Occasionally we will invite a friend to come along, but I would feel resentful, I just know it.

Good luck on your decision!
momofboys 11:30 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
Would the dad be able dropping off before his shift since it starts later? that would be another thing to consider if you haven't made your mind up yet.

Yes, I agree with this! I might be willing to do it if dad dropped off at 3:00-3:30 & mom picked up at 10:00. That way it would only be at most 7 hours.
Tags:after hours care, rates
Reply Up