Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Payment Drop Box Ideas
tbutler 12:48 PM 08-31-2011
I really don't like the actual exchange of money with my DCM and would like to have a payment drop box to put on my entrance table for parents along beside the sign in sheet. I found small safes at walmart but none of them have a slot that parents can actually slide payments into it.

What type of drop boxes or creative things do you all use? Where did you purchase it from? or how did you make it?
mismatchedsocks 12:54 PM 08-31-2011
Unless you are at a large center or have 10 families come in at once on pay day, I think something small, near the entrance table can be used. Maybe decorate a coffee can with bright colorful things. I know its not "professional" but for me if I needed an idea, I would do that. Also you can take payment between drop offs and put where you normally put them.

Now if you are worried about security and others "taking" checks, http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...ct-prod2990216
MsMe 01:00 PM 08-31-2011
I have a small white recangular mailbox that is hung in my entry way. It is high enough that I have to stand in teh kitchen door way (up about a foot formthe entry level to get the checks out. They just lift teh lid and can't see what other check are there. I have never needed a lock.

Ill try to find a pic.

I also made a pink neon sigh and labled it "payments due Friday"
tbutler 01:02 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Unless you are at a large center or have 10 families come in at once on pay day, I think something small, near the entrance table can be used. Maybe decorate a coffee can with bright colorful things. I know its not "professional" but for me if I needed an idea, I would do that. Also you can take payment between drop offs and put where you normally put them.

Now if you are worried about security and others "taking" checks, http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...ct-prod2990216
Thanks for the coffee can idea. May not be professional but it definitely will be cute! The link for the drop box you posted is exactly the one I "want". I can't bring myself to pay $109 for it though.
tbutler 01:04 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I have a small white recangular mailbox that is hung in my entry way. It is high enough that I have to stand in teh kitchen door way (up about a foot formthe entry level to get the checks out. They just lift teh lid and can't see what other check are there. I have never needed a lock.

Ill try to find a pic.

I also made a pink neon sigh and labled it "payments due Friday"
I would love to see a picture of it. And I like the idea of your sign too! Added "make 'payments due friday' sign" to my very long list of things to do.
mismatchedsocks 01:05 PM 08-31-2011
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Depository-D...item2566f2cba4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENTRY-DROP-...item43a966a388

I love ebay. here are two a little cheaper.
Crazy8 01:07 PM 08-31-2011
I was thinking about this last night after I posted about hating to talk about money and was looking at some mailboxes online. With only 5 or so families I'm wondering if I NEED something that locks or if a simple wall mounted mail box type thing would work. There are some pretty mailboxes out there. I've never had an issue with people paying or anything but I thought it would be a cute idea.

Everything I found was a little pricey too though. I liked these:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/special...ox-175735.html

http://www.mailboxandbeyond.com/Mail...WallMount.html
DCMom 01:11 PM 08-31-2011
I was terrible about stuffing checks in my pocket or tossing them on my desk...then washing them or losing them!

I now use the boutique tissue basket from Longaberger. It has a lid with a slot and I got it at a garage sale for a couple bucks years ago. It works out great ~ I just leave it on a little wall shelf near the parent board, so it is still accessible to parents but not to the kids.

On Mondays, I write something like 'Have you paid your daycare today?' on the parent board. It works well...I can't remember the last time someone paid late.
Attached: pmtbasket1.JPG (29.7 KB) pmtbasket2.JPG (28.9 KB) 
tbutler 01:29 PM 08-31-2011
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Depository-D...item2566f2cba4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENTRY-DROP-...item43a966a388

I love ebay. here are two a little cheaper.
Thanks for the links. I'm so in love with CL that I seem to forget about checking Ebay.
Meeko 01:30 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I was terrible about stuffing checks in my pocket or tossing them on my desk...then washing them or losing them!

I now use the boutique tissue basket from Longaberger. It has a lid with a slot and I got it at a garage sale for a couple bucks years ago. It works out great ~ I just leave it on a little wall shelf near the parent board, so it is still accessible to parents but not to the kids.

On Mondays, I write something like 'Have you paid your daycare today?' on the parent board. It works well...I can't remember the last time someone paid late.
Love the darling basket!
tbutler 01:31 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:

Thanks for the pic. I like how deep it is for parents who bring payments in envlopes already. They will definitely be able to fit in that.
Meeko 01:33 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
I really don't like the actual exchange of money with my DCM and would like to have a payment drop box to put on my entrance table for parents along beside the sign in sheet. I found small safes at walmart but none of them have a slot that parents can actually slide payments into it.

What type of drop boxes or creative things do you all use? Where did you purchase it from? or how did you make it?
I used to hate it. Now I just come out and ask for my check if they don't offer it!

I like the IDEA of a drop box, but I would be worried about opening up after work on Friday to find that some parents had "forgotten" it was pay day. And then I'd have to chase them for it which is more difficult that just asking for it in the first place!

And what happens if a parents says "I put it in the box" when they didn't. They may say you lost in and refuse to give a replacement so you can find it etc.....gives them stalling time. They can show up with a late check on Monday claiming they don't know what happened...because they put it in the basket........it must be YOUR fault......
daycare 01:34 PM 08-31-2011
I also hate asking for money and sometimes feel weird taking it. So I decided to use childcarepay on line payment system.
This way I know when payments are made.

It also stops trips to the bank. It really nice
tbutler 01:45 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I was thinking about this last night after I posted about hating to talk about money and was looking at some mailboxes online. With only 5 or so families I'm wondering if I NEED something that locks or if a simple wall mounted mail box type thing would work. There are some pretty mailboxes out there. I've never had an issue with people paying or anything but I thought it would be a cute idea.

Everything I found was a little pricey too though. I liked these:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/special...ox-175735.html

http://www.mailboxandbeyond.com/Mail...WallMount.html
I like both of them....again, just not the price. What am I to do! lol!
mismatchedsocks 01:47 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I also hate asking for money and sometimes feel weird taking it. So I decided to use childcarepay on line payment system.

Hey how do you get this set up for providers? I went to childcarepay and saw how parents log in.
Thanks
tbutler 01:48 PM 08-31-2011

That's a great idea too. Is there a monthly fee? Not sure it'll be worth it being that I'll only have 5 dck.
grandmom 01:50 PM 08-31-2011

Ohmygosh. I just looked this up and love it. I think I'm going to have parents start this. Thanks for the idea.
tbutler 01:51 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I used to hate it. Now I just come out and ask for my check if they don't offer it!

I like the IDEA of a drop box, but I would be worried about opening up after work on Friday to find that some parents had "forgotten" it was pay day. And then I'd have to chase them for it which is more difficult that just asking for it in the first place!

And what happens if a parents says "I put it in the box" when they didn't. They may say you lost in and refuse to give a replacement so you can find it etc.....gives them stalling time. They can show up with a late check on Monday claiming they don't know what happened...because they put it in the basket........it must be YOUR fault......
The DCM made her payment on time. She handed the cash to me as I was helping her dcg to say good bye and place backpack in her cubbie. I misplace my cell phone every time I touch it. I don't want to do that with payments being handed to me. But I definitley will be asking about payments if they are not paid on time.
daycare 02:17 PM 08-31-2011
childcarepay is really easy to use. I use it along with MMK.

You can chose who pays. It's only $1.00 per transaction and you can pay it or you can charge the parents the fee..

If i were you, I would really read all of the information on it. As it does have a few draw backs. One of them is that it takes a full 3 business days to be deposited into your account and that means that payments would need to be paid monday before 3 pm to be deposited into your acct by friday morning.

I have all of my parents pay monthly and I cover the fee.

read all of the FAQ on it...
mismatchedsocks 02:19 PM 08-31-2011

You can chose who pays. It's only $1.00 per transaction and you can pay it or you can charge the parents the fee..

If i were you, I would really read all of the information on it. As it does have a few draw backs. One of them is that it takes a full 3 business days to be deposited into your account and that means that payments would need to be paid monday before 3 pm to be deposited into your acct by friday morning.

I would have to be a member of mmk then?
tbutler 02:52 PM 08-31-2011

I will be sure to read it.
godiva83 02:58 PM 08-31-2011
I get the parents to send E-money transfers. I love it, goes right to my GMail account, I open it into my account and the monies are in my account no processing time.
Each transaction costs the parents $1
( this is in Ontario )
Crazy8 06:40 PM 08-31-2011
isn't this childcare pay kind of similar to Paypal only just for child care???

I've thought of offering my parents the option to use Paypal but there are the fees attached and I don't want to have to check online to make sure they paid, etc. and then have to wait for the money to hit my account. I had one who paid thru her bank where I received a paper check from the bank and it was late EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!!

I much prefer receiving that check by 5pm on Friday when as long as I get it to my bank by 8pm Friday night, I get $300 avail immediately and the rest avail Sat. morning. I like my money for the weekend, LOL!!!

I did get the Square device and will offer it to parents starting in Sept. but I don't see any of them wanting to pay the 3% fee (about $5/week for them).
daycare 06:44 PM 08-31-2011

I've thought of offering my parents the option to use Paypal but there are the fees attached and I don't want to have to check online to make sure they paid, etc. and then have to wait for the money to hit my account. I had one who paid thru her bank where I received a paper check from the bank and it was late EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!!

I much prefer receiving that check by 5pm on Friday when as long as I get it to my bank by 8pm Friday night, I get $300 avail immediately and the rest avail Sat. morning. I like my money for the weekend, LOL!!!

I did get the Square device and will offer it to parents starting in Sept. but I don't see any of them wanting to pay the 3% fee (about $5/week for them).
It's only for child care
Crazy8 06:52 PM 08-31-2011
It's only for child care
I know its only for daycare - but I guess my question is isn't it the same type of service where parent logs in, pays daycare provider w/small fee, payment goes to provider, provider then has to transfer to their account taking a few days??? That's how paypal works - is that not how this other service works??
daycare 06:54 PM 08-31-2011
This goes directly into my bank account after it has been processed. It does take 3 business days to post and there is a $1 fee per transaction.
I really enjoy it as long as the parents pay on time.
Crazy8 07:00 PM 08-31-2011
This goes directly into my bank account after it has been processed. It does take 3 business days to post and there is a $1 fee per transaction.
I really enjoy it as long as the parents pay on time.
gotcha, thanks! I've never heard of it before today so was curious. The 3 day thing is a deal breaker for me though!
mismatchedsocks 07:06 PM 08-31-2011
i dont see a sign up link? i think my parents would love it!
snbauser 08:25 PM 08-31-2011
I have some parents who use childcarepay. The rest pay by check. I bought an unfinished box with a small clasp on the front from Michaels for about $3.00 and stained it. Cut a slot in the top for the checks and wrote "Payments" on top. It sits right next to my sigh in sheet. The only parent that does not use it is the one who usually pays me in cash. I prefer that she hand that to me.
SilverSabre25 05:56 AM 09-01-2011
I just have an envelope push-pinned to my wall by the door. Parents still hand me the check/cash, but it goes straight in there. I lost two checks in two months (later found them though) and tacked that up there to prevent the loss now. They stay there until I'm heading out the door to the bank.
AnneCordelia 06:26 AM 09-01-2011
My parents also pay by e-transfer. It costs $1/transaction but the $$$ transfer is IMMEDIATE. No waiting for checks to clear or other 3rd party organizations to transfer it.
Growing1atime 06:34 AM 09-01-2011
I have this hanging by my front door. Each child has a folder with their name on it for art or memo's home. The top folder says "Payments".

Has been working great. Except cash payments. I have a little note on the folder that says "no cash payments." If they just drop in the cash I don't know who it is from!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...ls/viewall.jsp
tbutler 08:00 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by TheTree:
I have this hanging by my front door. Each child has a folder with their name on it for art or memo's home. The top folder says "Payments".

Has been working great. Except cash payments. I have a little note on the folder that says "no cash payments." If they just drop in the cash I don't know who it is from!

I have that exact hanging folder. That's definitely a good idea for sending things home. I guess if I were to use it as payments I could have envelopes on the front table for parent to put cash payments in and write their name on it or either their childs name on it.
MarinaVanessa 12:11 PM 09-01-2011

Responding to the square thing .... I just eat the cost, it's a tax write off anyway, the same goes with the $1 transaction from ChildCarePay. I don't think any of my DC families would use the service if they had to pay additionally just to use it. I love ChildCarePay because I do drop-in care and I've recently started to require payment up front when they ask me for a reservation. This way they can request a day and time well in advance and pay for it (I won't reserve a spot unless it's paid for). When my FT or PT clients need extra hours or want a date night they pay for it in advance too and use childcarepay.

Only my last minute drop-in clients ever pay through Square Up really.

As for another post about waiting 3 days ... It didnt matter to me because none of my families use the same bank that I do and their checks dont clear until three days after I deposit it anyway so that's not really a big deal for me. I'll use any reason to keep myself out of the bank, I even use mobile deposit through my iPhone to deposit my checks lol.
mismatchedsocks 01:11 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Responding to the square thing .... I just eat the cost, it's a tax write off anyway, the same goes with the $1 transaction from ChildCarePay. I don't think any of my DC families would use the service if they had to pay additionally just to use it. I love ChildCarePay because I do drop-in care and I've recently started to require payment up front when they ask me for a reservation. This way they can request a day and time well in advance and pay for it (I won't reserve a spot unless it's paid for). When my FT or PT clients need extra hours or want a date night they pay for it in advance too and use childcarepay.

Only my last minute drop-in clients ever pay through Square Up really.

As for another post about waiting 3 days ... It didnt matter to me because none of my families use the same bank that I do and their checks dont clear until three days after I deposit it anyway so that's not really a big deal for me. I'll use any reason to keep myself out of the bank, I even use mobile deposit through my iPhone to deposit my checks lol.
maybe you know. childcarepay, do you have to be a member to minute menu? or do you have a link to sign up for prioviders.I looked on website and dont see it anywhere.
tbutler 07:15 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:

I did it exactly like you did. I also added a few blank envelopes in payment slot/folder for parents to use to place cash payments in it and write their child's name and date of payment. I also made variety of colored small circles to make a caterpillar that wraps around the pocket chart. It's really cute!
gelbesonn 06:34 PM 09-09-2011
maybe you know. childcarepay, do you have to be a member to minute menu? or do you have a link to sign up for prioviders.I looked on website and dont see it anywhere.
I am pretty sure that you have to have a paid subsciption to MMK in order to use childcarepay. Childcarepay is a subset of the MMK websites (they are all run by the same group of people).
I use MMK to submit claims to my food program and I also use it to do all my accounting. It takes the guess work out of everything and all the info is stored easily in one place under one account. Definitely worth the $70/yr. I do all my taxes myself as a result.
DragonTears 06:53 PM 09-09-2011
Backtracking just a little here...

In regards to the original question about a locking box, have you considered doing a search for comment card boxes? They have the slot for the payment and they lock as well. Here are 2 I found on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Vertiflex-Prod...5619407&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Steel-Su...5619407&sr=1-1

Just a thought for anyone preferring the box method.
permanentvacation 07:00 PM 09-09-2011
A lockable skinny rectangular mailbox nailed or screwed into the wall would be my suggestion.

My sister who is a rental property manager has one outside her door so tenents can stop by and put their payments in even when she's not home. Works great for her.

Since you're home when the parents pick up their children and pay you, you can put one on your wall by the sign in sheet.

Personally, though, I would want to be able to immediately look at the check as they hand it to me to make sure it is for the correct amount and dated correctly so I can cash it. But that's just me!
Abigail 07:07 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by DragonTears:
Backtracking just a little here...

In regards to the original question about a locking box, have you considered doing a search for comment card boxes? They have the slot for the payment and they lock as well. Here are 2 I found on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Vertiflex-Prod...5619407&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Steel-Su...5619407&sr=1-1

Just a thought for anyone preferring the box method.
Thanks for posting that. I've been googling for something similiar and have recently asked my dad if he can make something like this for me.....
Attached: Tuition Drop Box.jpg (48.0 KB) 
DragonTears 07:11 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Thanks for posting that. I've been googling for something similiar and have recently asked my dad if he can make something like this for.....
No problem. Honestly, this was the first thing that popped into my head when I read "box for payments". A Sentry-style "safe" box never actually came to mind lol!
Crazy8 07:17 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
A lockable skinny rectangular mailbox nailed or screwed into the wall would be my suggestion.

My sister who is a rental property manager has one outside her door so tenents can stop by and put their payments in even when she's not home. Works great for her.

Since you're home when the parents pick up their children and pay you, you can put one on your wall by the sign in sheet.

Personally, though, I would want to be able to immediately look at the check as they hand it to me to make sure it is for the correct amount and dated correctly so I can cash it. But that's just me!
yup, this is why I decided not to go with any type of box. As much as I hate dealing with the money I'd rather them hand me a check so I can glance at it and then just stick it on my fridge to go to the bank. I've had great paying clients who have forgotten to sign the checks, etc. I want to look it over before they walk out the door on a Friday evening!
DBug 09:30 AM 09-10-2011
I get paid in cash, and tend to stick it in my pocket or on a shelf or on the kitchen counter when it's handed to me. My own kids have started bringing friends home with them after school, so I'm thinking my system isn't the greatest idea anymore . So I broke down and ordered a wooden cash box (technically a "suggestion box") with a lock. Here it is:

http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=3248

It's got the pocket on the side for envelopes and an attached pen. I think I'll have the parents write their child's name and the dollar amount on the envelope before they put the money in. This way I can take it all out at once and record it all at once, rather than one payment at a time.

The price is pretty reasonable -- with shipping to Canada it costs $43.
Tags:drop box, payment, payment - drop box, payment method
Reply Up