Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handbooks/Policies
countrymom 09:42 AM 01-04-2012
parent hand book/contracts

I've been searching for 2 hours now and some of the threads don't have contract stuff just people talking about it, I need stuff that is put in it. And this also seems like a common question
melissa ann 10:05 AM 01-04-2012
I second this

beachgrl 05:57 AM 01-05-2012
Third, have had same issues looking for that stuff!
countrymom 07:04 AM 01-05-2012
bumping it, I think we really need this. (black cat, I loved your book, it was easy to read and too the point)
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
bumping it, I think we really need this. (black cat, I loved your book, it was easy to read and too the point)
Why, thank you! I spent ALOT of time on it and tried to include everything I could think of that would need to be addressed. I am sure I will need to add more as new things arise.....just when we think we have heard/seen all, something comes along to prove us wrong! LOL!!

Okay, I made this thread a sticky but don't know if I did it right or not. (Michael will have to pop in and let us know....) I renamed it as well. Countrymom since you asked, if you want a different title...let me know.)
melissa ann 09:24 AM 01-05-2012
Blackcat, thank you so much.
And if I may be so bold to ask, what is this book you wrote?

So, should we post our handbook here, or a link to them?
awestbrook713 09:25 AM 01-05-2012
I'm a newbie at the handbook thingy but I will post mine. I had gotten help from one of the other providers on here and just tweaked it to work for my daycare. Hopefully I did this right, I also included my contract. I have already started a list for fixes to it for 2013 since its an ever evolving document lol.
Attached: Parents Handbook.doc (36.0 KB) Contract new fees.doc (27.5 KB) 
melissa ann 09:28 AM 01-05-2012
My handbook & contract can be found on my website
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Blackcat, thank you so much.
And if I may be so bold to ask, what is this book you wrote?

So, should we post our handbook here, or a link to them?
I e-mailed her my handbook. If you would like ot read it, please PM me your e-mail address and I will send it right off
Fruitloops1 10:59 AM 01-05-2012
blackcat your "location" really confised me!!! I was thinking to myself what can someone do to be in detention? Did she post something bad? Is it like a time out? LOL
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Azra11:
blackcat your "location" really confised me!!! I was thinking to myself what can someone do to be in detention? Did she post something bad? Is it like a time out? LOL
LOL!! It does come from 'behavior' here actually. I "think" I might have deleted the Venting Thread accidentally a while back and so I am in detention for being bad.....LOL!!

In my defence, however, I don't know if I did or didn't but I did take the blame.

I suppose it may be time to rejoin the group now and not be in detention anymore though....

Oh, and my real location is northern MN, in case you were wondering.
Sunchimes 03:14 PM 01-05-2012
I gave out my new, first ever handbook and contract to 2 of my families this week. (Both fine, no questions, no complaints, and signed almost before I could finish talking to them). I sweated over this, poured over the forums and online handbooks, and I still think that I left out something important.

Anyway, the last dcm will be back tomorrow. She has been paying drop in rates even though I'm on stand-by 6 days a week. (I've whined about my stupidity on this before). I'm going to tell her she has to go to at least part time (I'm going to push FT, but that will mean a huge increase for her when she only works part time. I think I'll lose her if I do that.) Plus late pick up, late payments, paying every week, even if I just have her 1 day, and all of the other cool stuff you guys do and I wasn't smart enough to figure out without you.

She is going to have a cow. I could use some vibes for finding my backbone.
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I gave out my new, first ever handbook and contract to 2 of my families this week. (Both fine, no questions, no complaints, and signed almost before I could finish talking to them). I sweated over this, poured over the forums and online handbooks, and I still think that I left out something important.

Anyway, the last dcm will be back tomorrow. She has been paying drop in rates even though I'm on stand-by 6 days a week. (I've whined about my stupidity on this before). I'm going to tell her she has to go to at least part time (I'm going to push FT, but that will mean a huge increase for her when she only works part time. I think I'll lose her if I do that.) Plus late pick up, late payments, paying every week, even if I just have her 1 day, and all of the other cool stuff you guys do and I wasn't smart enough to figure out without you.

She is going to have a cow. I could use some vibes for finding my backbone.
You CAN do it!!!!!!

Trust me, you won't be sorry for standing your ground. Even if you lose her. You will still be happy. I promise.
countrymom 05:13 PM 01-05-2012
thanks black cat, as soon as I'm done I'll post mine too. I think if we have any questions regarding phb we can post it here, that way its all together and its not the same question being asked over and over.
Countrygal 06:15 AM 01-07-2012
I couldn't attach mine - it is nine pages and exceeded the limit. Any other way? I'd love feedback on it.
Mary Poppins 08:24 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
My handbook & contract can be found on my website
I love your handbook and if I hadn't JUST re-written mine I'd totally steal it. Still considering doing just that.
melissa ann 10:09 AM 01-15-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
I love your handbook and if I hadn't JUST re-written mine I'd totally steal it. Still considering doing just that.
Thank you. Help yourself. Mine is a combination of my own plus tips from others here.
countrymom 07:43 AM 01-16-2012
on a contract, or do you have one form at the end. Also, what part of the contract do you keep, the handbook or do the parents. Mine is 14 pages long, not including forms.

also, do you have a water play form, a trampoline form a transportation form (remember I can have a trampoline and a pool--only the big tramp. is for the older older kids, my littles have an excerise one)
Mary Poppins 07:04 PM 01-17-2012
on a contract, or do you have one form at the end. Also, what part of the contract do you keep, the handbook or do the parents. Mine is 14 pages long, not including forms.

also, do you have a water play form, a trampoline form a transportation form (remember I can have a trampoline and a pool--only the big tramp. is for the older older kids, my littles have an excerise one)
I have a handbook which I have them read and sign and date, acknowledging that they have read, understand and agree to abide by my policies. I have a contract that they sign that re-states this and has spaces for all of the personal info. I keep both of these in my file and give them a copy of them if they ask. My handbook is posted on my website for them to look at anytime.
Checkinkids.com 08:05 AM 01-23-2012
Here's a good resource for this http://www.indiana.edu/~ccc/for-parents/handbook/
Beach Baby 12:27 PM 02-01-2012
Anyone else care to share their handbooks/contracts? I need some serious help coming up with one asap!
NiNi.R. 08:52 AM 02-13-2012
Here is mine! This is what I will be giving the parents this coming up spring with some tweeks (my state just implemented some new regulations so if those change much then so might some of my handbook)

I've been looking to add in a policy somewhere stating children will need to arrive dressed and ready for the day. I haven't decided if this is something I want to change for new enrollees or all families. It will probably depend on the demands that the new regs will bring on. Currently I have two girls that show up in their jammies and slippers. With a sack of clothes and shoes for the day and a brush. Most recently they brought toothpaste and a toothbrush to leave here. Even though they are old enough to do it on their own the amount of stuff they bring everyday is ridiculous.

Anyways off topic I know. If any of you have a being dressed and ready for the day policy I would love to see it!

Guess my file was too big and didn't realize it. I'd be happy to email my handbook to whoever would like to see it. Just PM with your email.
Texasjeepgirl 11:51 AM 02-13-2012
Mine is on my website...

www.tammyschildcare.com

Checkinkids.com 05:29 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
Here is mine! This is what I will be giving the parents this coming up spring with some tweeks (my state just implemented some new regulations so if those change much then so might some of my handbook)

I've been looking to add in a policy somewhere stating children will need to arrive dressed and ready for the day. I haven't decided if this is something I want to change for new enrollees or all families. It will probably depend on the demands that the new regs will bring on. Currently I have two girls that show up in their jammies and slippers. With a sack of clothes and shoes for the day and a brush. Most recently they brought toothpaste and a toothbrush to leave here. Even though they are old enough to do it on their own the amount of stuff they bring everyday is ridiculous.

Anyways off topic I know. If any of you have a being dressed and ready for the day policy I would love to see it!

Guess my file was too big and didn't realize it. I'd be happy to email my handbook to whoever would like to see it. Just PM with your email.
I can't STAND it when kid show up in pjs. Daycare is not so parents can just roll out of bed, throw the kids in the car and go. Funny thing is - those are usually the ones that show up first! grrrr. I would definitely make that a policy ALL if I were you. And no donuts or pop tarts in hand when they walk in the door either! And wipe their face...
GrannyJ 11:33 AM 02-27-2012
I have redone my handbook so many times over the years. I remember back in the day I didn't even need one! Now I wouldn't think of not having one.

Anyway I am in the process of redoing mine again and would really appreciate any help I can get.

Also, I have never found a contract that I have been happy with so I could use some help with that also.
Touch of Love 02:43 PM 03-17-2012
I am in the process of opening and am having trouble wording some of the items in my employee handbook. could anyone maybe help me out there?
jokalima 04:20 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
Mine is on my website...

www.tammyschildcare.com

I am looking at different handbooks and taking from here and there to update mine, will you mind if I use part of yours?

Thanks
Michael 06:07 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
I am looking at different handbooks and taking from here and there to update mine, will you mind if I use part of yours?

Thanks
Use the tags on the bottom left to find more handbooks and contracts samples and ideas.
jokalima 04:36 PM 05-26-2012
Sorry if the questions sound silly but I really want to be sure of what to say.

If a parent asks why I don't receive children after 9:30 what would be the reason for an in home day care? And also, if they ask why the hours of care provided are based on their schedule, what should I say?

Thanks
Blackcat31 04:52 PM 05-26-2012

If a parent asks why I don't receive children after 9:30 what would be the reason for an in home day care? And also, if they ask why the hours of care provided are based on their schedule, what should I say?

Thanks
I usually discourage but not deny drop off after 9:30 because it is disruptive to our daily curriculum and activities. I sometimes take the kids on walks too and having to wait to go for a walk or begin an activity is difficult. Most parents understand that if we are going to finger paint, for example, having to stop and take a child in for drop off once the activity is already underway is not only tough but dangerous to the other kids since my eyes are no longer directly supervising the activity.

As far as explaining contracted hours I tell my parents that it is vital that I have their contracted hours so that I can maximize my day. Make plans, schedule appts and make use of my day in the best way possible. If I know I only have 4 kids scheduled at a specific time, I make snack or activity plans accordingly. Parents also need to understand that if they are using 8 hours of care then they are billed differently than someone who uses say 10 hours per day.

I usually avoid having to explain to parents the whole long out explanations but if they do ask, I simply say this is what I have found works best for my business so this is how I do it.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
jokalima 04:56 PM 05-26-2012
It does help, thanks a lot.
jokalima 04:59 PM 05-26-2012
Still working on handbook... what would be the # of late pick ups allowed before suspending or terminating a child?
Blackcat31 05:03 PM 05-26-2012
Still working on handbook... what would be the # of late pick ups allowed before suspending or terminating a child?
My policies say consistent late pick ups are ground for termination (that way I can leave it to each individual family or situation and decide based on my relationship with them). So I assign no actual number before I term.

What I do instead is make the fee for each time more. First late pick up is $1.00 per minute, second late pick up fee is $2.00 per minute and etc etc.....

Using the increasing fee is a good way to really discourage late pick ups.
Abigail 05:05 PM 05-26-2012

Thanks
I don't put times on limits in my handbook, that is for a contract and really it would change from case to case so I would leave if for discussion. Before someone tours my home I already know their hours and they've already been told a rate so we should all be on the same page. I use to take someone at 10:15 am and it was fine except nap time took an extra 30 minutes before this child fell asleep. Now their schedule changed and they're the first one here in the morning....it all works out in the end!

If they ask why the hours of care are based on their schedule tell them you do not offer open-close pickup and dropoff at whatever time they choose. You do contracted hours so you can plan your day. Simple as that! Some parents just don't know. My friend who works at a daycare said she would never bring her kid to a daycare that was contracted hours, BUT the daycare she works at is a drop-off-your-kid-anytime between 6 am and pickup by 5:30 pm. It is fine in a center where you can send home employees or call some in on busy days, but not in a home daycare where you only have 1 sometimes 2 people. You don't have the flexibility to earn more income on the drop of a dime for more kids or a choice to send someone home from work when the workload is lighter. KWIM?
jokalima 05:14 PM 05-26-2012
Another question,

I charge 145.00 for infants and 140.00 for 2+, I really want to charge 175.00 to be at the same rate that the other providers in my area. My contract says I can't raise up my fees more than 15.00 a week, so obviously with them I can't get what I want/need. So I am going to raise the 140 to 155 and the 145 to 160, the 160 family's child turns 2 in a couple of months, should I the give them the same rate of 155 that the other family is going to have or leave them @ 160.00?
I also had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a mom, I told her I would charge her 186.00 for her 2 kids part time 3 days a week, I completely regret doing that and just before my changes, what should I do about that? They have not started yet, she wants to visit with the kids before making a decision and I just don't know what to tell her because honestly IDK if that price is going to work.

Also, i am not insured, does anyone knows about how much does it cost to have DC insurance?
Blackcat31 05:21 PM 05-26-2012
Another question,

I charge 145.00 for infants and 140.00 for 2+, I really want to charge 175.00 to be at the same rate that the other providers in my area. My contract says I can't raise up my fees more than 15.00 a week, so obviously with them I can't get what I want/need. So I am going to raise the 140 to 155 and the 145 to 160, the 160 family's child turns 2 in a couple of months, should I the give them the same rate of 155 that the other family is going to have or leave them @ 160.00?

I would raise their rate to the rate you now WANT to charge. I would also remove that part about not being able to raise the rates more than $15 per week. That is a nice concept but you are already seeing how it is not working for you.

I also had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a mom, I told her I would charge her 186.00 for her 2 kids part time 3 days a week, I completely regret doing that and just before my changes, what should I do about that? They have not started yet, she wants to visit with the kids before making a decision and I just don't know what to tell her because honestly IDK if that price is going to work.

I would call that mom back and let her know that you were wrong about the rate you quoted her and then give her the correct rate and tell her if she is still interested, to cal you or let you know. Just because you said something to an interviewing mom doesn't mean it is set in stone. You can always go back and change it. Tell her you weren't thinking or that you mis-quoted. It happens. You are human. Give her the rate you want to charge.
Also, i am not insured, does anyone knows about how much does it cost to have DC insurance?
I answered in bold above.

Here is a link to where I get child care liability insurance. Pretty reasonable I think: http://acainc.org/insurance_family.html
jokalima 05:50 PM 05-26-2012
Well thank you again, you do help a lot

The insurance apparently does not cover staff, do you know if for me to hire I need to have workers comp. insurance or the house insurance will do? Sorry again for all the ???????????????????
jokalima 09:12 AM 05-27-2012
What do you gues think about this? Is it to much for part time?

• Full time care: $160.00 per week or $32.00 per day
• Partial week care : 45.00 per day
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 05-27-2012
Well thank you again, you do help a lot

The insurance apparently does not cover staff, do you know if for me to hire I need to have workers comp. insurance or the house insurance will do? Sorry again for all the ???????????????????
I don't know about the workers comp or house insurance.....you might have to call you agent and ask them.

What do you gues think about this? Is it to much for part time?

• Full time care: $160.00 per week or $32.00 per day
• Partial week care : 45.00 per day
I think that is a good way to go. I personally, think part time care should always be 1.5 times your full time rate. Atleast that is the norm around here.
jokalima 05:44 PM 05-29-2012
Do you think is ok to add this in my HB?

Back Up care: Day Care Centers do not help parents look for back up cares for the days they are closed, in family home day care it should not be any diffeent, therefore it is the parents responsiblity to have a back up plan for emergency situations and for provider vacation time, At times, if possible I will try to help you with this matter but it is ultimately your obligation to have this set up to avoid further inconveniences.
jokalima 09:11 PM 05-30-2012

Back Up care: Day Care Centers do not help parents look for back up cares for the days they are closed, in family home day care it should not be any diffeent, therefore it is the parents responsiblity to have a back up plan for emergency situations and for provider vacation time, At times, if possible I will try to help you with this matter but it is ultimately your obligation to have this set up to avoid further inconveniences.
LOL I am waiting to see what you gues think about this to see if I can finish my HB, really don't know if adding this would be out of place so please let me know what you think?
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 05-31-2012

I would definitely include it in your PHB as it is something that does need to be addressed and having it in writing your PHB clears up any misconception to the contrary.

I have something similar in mine stating it is the parents responsibilty to have back up care in the event that my child care services are not available to them. (I personaly would NOT offer to assist parents in finding alternate child care as it will probably be an expected service as time goes on. But that is just me. If they ask if I know anyone, I would tell them, but I wouldn't put it in writting.)

Keep in mind the less you put in your handbook means the more you will have to say/tell parents when the situation arises.
jokalima 10:14 AM 05-31-2012
Thanks, I can take that part out then, where it says about me trying to help them.

Thanks a lot
DaycareProvider 03:15 PM 05-31-2012
Black Cat, is it possible to read your version? My contract is only 2 pages long and I KNOW I'm missing a few things. I was hoping to pick up a couple of ideas from an experienced provider like yourself.
Blackcat31 03:32 PM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareProvider:
Black Cat, is it possible to read your version? My contract is only 2 pages long and I KNOW I'm missing a few things. I was hoping to pick up a couple of ideas from an experienced provider like yourself.
I PM'ed you
jokalima 08:06 PM 06-14-2012
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I finally gave my new HB last week with the rate increase as well. No problem, all the parents said it was ok and sign it. Oh and the best part is not one late pick up after I gave the new HB. Thanks to all that shared their HB with me, and to those that gave me advise on how to make a better one.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 06-15-2012
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I finally gave my new HB last week with the rate increase as well. No problem, all the parents said it was ok and sign it. Oh and the best part is not one late pick up after I gave the new HB. Thanks to all that shared their HB with me, and to those that gave me advise on how to make a better one.
That is fantastic! Very happy for you!
MamaBearCanada 11:38 AM 06-28-2012
BlackCat,

If you wouldn't mind I would also like to read your contract/handbook. I run a small home daycare in Canada and I'm sure there are several issues I haven't considered covering. I'll PM you my email address... if I can work out how to do it!

Thanks.
Truly Scrumptious 08:56 PM 07-04-2012
Tom Copeland has a great Contracts and Policies book. It's very helpful. He will tell you that your contract should be separate from your policy and that the contract deals only with time and money and the policies deal with everything else.
He also tells providers that parents should always be required to give a 2 weeks written notice, but not providers. Providers can terminate AT WILL!
Go to Read Leaf Press to find it and if you go to the NAFCC Website you can join one his webinars. If you have any questions, he will even speak with you personally.
Nickel 06:58 PM 07-05-2012
Love love love reading all the advice and ideas on this thread. Black cat, can you PM me so I can give you me email. Would love to read your handbook as well!

I was considering modifying the handbook I received when I was thinking about putting my child in daycare. I haven't read all the way through it yet, but I'm thinking I can modify it to fit my needs with all the advice found here.

And I read on someones about giving the family 5 sick days per year. I thought that was a great idea. and after that they would pay for any days they missed. When your families take vacations, do you all charge them 100%, 50% or 0% I was thinking of giving them 2 weeks per year at 50% to hold the spot...

And how many of you all charge BEFORE services? I was thinking of charging two weeks of care as the deposit and then letting the families decide if they want to pay weekly, semimonthly or monthly. So the weekly rate would be x amount the semimonthly rate would be weekly rate x 52(weeks) divided by 24 payments and the monthly rate would be weekly rate x 52 divided by 12. Would this eliminate problems? I mean I guess people could always pay every other week as well, but since I'll most likely be accepting military I think that works out easier for everyone. So in that case, do you charge the whole amount up front? Like if they want to pay monthly do you charge an entire month up front, or would you just do the two week deposit and then they pay the entire month after those two weeks are up? I think I'm confusing myself here... sorry if i hijacked the thread!!! t.i.a
daycaremama2 06:52 AM 07-30-2012
i cant see the handbook-- i need to make one, help please!
texascare 09:55 AM 07-30-2012
coud you send me one too Blackcat31?
WDW 11:22 AM 07-31-2012
Anyone want to share their handbook with me? I am updating mine and getting a few new families soon.. want to make sure I get it right this time
daycarediva 03:46 PM 07-31-2012
http://jessicasfamilychildcare-com.webs.com/

my handbook is on my (work in progress) website.

Funny how ONE family pretty much made all of those 'rules'
coolconfidentme 02:45 AM 11-06-2012
parent hand book/contracts

I've been searching for 2 hours now and some of the threads don't have contract stuff just people talking about it, I need stuff that is put in it. And this also seems like a common question
My handbook can be found on my FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/notes/a-to-...79312038848931

(Theft is the highest form of flattery!)
Chatter Box 06:23 PM 02-09-2013
Those of you who can't post it here, just a suggestion (cause personally I would love to see them myself), but google has a place you can store your documents online. If you sign up for a gmail account there is a link at the top when you log in that says "Drive" you can just upload them and share the links here. It would be easier than emailing them individually and a time saver for us. It would be nice to see them for sure! Blackcat I would love it if you would email me yours since everyone is raving over it. I will pm you my email address.

I have a pretty thorough one but would love to see if I'm missing anything. I also need to see how you split up your contract vs your handbook because I am greatly struggling with that part specifically. ...and of course I have an interview coming tomorrow!
Magic 04:30 PM 02-27-2013
I just had to rewrite my contract after I got ripped off for 1,300
the contract is only as good as you ( me ) standing up to it
I am a bleeding heart and well ...it has cost me
one thing I did do was have at the bottom of each page in contract / policies was date and signed by both parties
I have an introduction , displine, and enrollment info on other pages seprate from the contract
I am going to try to attach it ..when rewriting mine I wish this thread was up for man I needed help and I see some others that I would of used a couple ideas from
Attached: 2013 contract.doc (39.0 KB) 
apick 10:13 PM 02-27-2013
So I'm a newbie provider, only been up and running for 4.5 months and just got my first child that I think will actually stick around. I used the book "From Babysitter to Business Owner" to outline my handbook and it's absolutely fantastic!! I "borrowed" my enrollment form from a daycare center I found online and then just changed it for myself. If you're looking for examples of handbooks, contracts or just any forms in general, visit www.thedaycarelady.com. There is thousands of forms on her site and they're all free!! I took multiple versions of contracts on there and then made one that I liked best for myself. My contact is at the end of my parent handbook. I would love feedback from you more experienced ladies since I'm so new at this! Luckily I have a degree in business so the forms and polices part was kind of easy, at least getting them on paper...we will see how I do in enforcing them lol!
If you have any other tips for a newbie I would love them!! Thanks!!
Attached: Happy Go Lucky Childcare Parent Handbook.pdf (138.7 KB) Happy Go Lucky Childcare Enrollment Form.pdf (133.5 KB) 
JLH 04:25 PM 03-04-2013
I would tell her those spots are no longer available and turn her away. Another idea would be to tell her that to keep your rates comparable to others in your area, you recently implemented a rate increase to all daycare families, new and old, and you now have new rates she would have to agree to before enrolling.
JLH 05:24 PM 03-04-2013
I use State Farm Insurance and pay about $25 a month. It covers renters insurance on a home with a daycare clause.
*Sunshine* 05:31 PM 04-05-2013
This is great info! I'm glad I stumbled across this forum! I am enrolled to take all the classes I need to become a registered family child care home. I'm trying to learn as much as I can
Olechka 04:58 PM 05-17-2013
enrollment
discipline
drop in
visitor
___
sanitation
feeding
food
sick
immunization
Administering Medication
allergies
Mandated Reporting
Medical emergency
first aid
___
emergency
evacuations
inspections
fire
Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguishers
Pesticide Application
Safety

___
Communication
confidentiality
discrimination
___
trip
Transportation
swimming
___

Napping
Toileting
employment
cameras
Parent Involvement
telephone (i.e. blocking numbers on the daycare's telephone)
__________What to inform parents__________
Drop in
Discipline
Sick (i.e. what child is considered too sick to remain in your care, exclusion).
Immunizations
Medication
Meals
Feeding (i.e. should parents provide formula instructions).
First aid
Schedule (meal/snack time, nap time, indoor play, outdoor play).
Cameras (if you have surveillance)
Anything else required by law
hshomedaycare 06:07 PM 05-20-2013
I am having an issue with one of my families. I ask that if one of your children is sick with symptoms not permitted in the daycare then all siblings should stay home as well. What does everyone else do? Also, I ask that if one sibling goes home sick then all other siblings should go home as well at that time. Again, what does everyone else do?
En2Deep42 08:40 PM 05-29-2013
I'm also having problems with the policies. It's really hard to find what you need. I pretty much have my parent handbook together but the course I'm taking also wants me to put together an operations' manual (in the event that the director may not be available. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find one. Does anyone know where I can get help with this?
Unregistered 08:45 PM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by hshomedaycare:
I am having an issue with one of my families. I ask that if one of your children is sick with symptoms not permitted in the daycare then all siblings should stay home as well. What does everyone else do? Also, I ask that if one sibling goes home sick then all other siblings should go home as well at that time. Again, what does everyone else do?
i absolutely do NOT exclude siblings unless they qualify for exclusion. I wouldn't have the first client if I did that. I get paid PER child, not per FAMILY.

that's just IMHO
misskyndra09 09:18 AM 06-18-2013
I am just starting the home daycare process and have drawn up my own handbook but would love to see some examples from others to make sure mine is satisfactory! my email is my username at yahoo! thanks in advance!
Nebula 10:40 AM 06-19-2013
Attaching a copy of mine, feel free to pick and choose, I got ideas from many many different ones I looked at.

Mel

Great Adventures
Learning Academy

Your child’s path to success in the “Great Adventure” of life

Parent Handbook

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Welcome……………………………………………………………. 3
Enrollment Procedures …………………………………….. 4
Hours of Operation
Attendance Policy
Fees & Payments ………………………………………………..5
Holidays & Vacations
Attire & Clothing
Daily Pre-School Schedule…………………………………. 6
Curriculum Overview
Discipline & Guidance ………………………………………….7
Medication Policy
Sick Children ……………………………………………………….8
Pickup/Drop Off …………………………………………………..9
Visitor Policy
Emergencies
“GO” Folder Policy
Field Trips & Transportation

Information Sheets Attached to Handbook:

“Keep me home if”
Vaccine Chart
Enrollment Form- Please Return
Child Evaluation Form- Please Return

Welcome to Great Adventures Learning Academy!

Our Mission
“For each child that enters our care, we strive to provide the essential foundation for children to realize their full God-given potential and identity in Christ, so that they may become well-rounded, productive members of society. Through our gentle but firm” approach to learning, our goal is that all children may live life to the fullest and embrace it as a great adventure.”

Dear Parent(s):
Thank you for choosing us to help you guide your child as they enter the journey of his or her academic career. We believe that children learn best when they are able to make choices, and reap the consequences of those choices whether negative or positive. Children should be able to make these choices in a positive, loving environment with lots of positive reinforcement.

We also believe that children are a gift from God and he has given them to us on this earth so that we too may love them, encourage them, and help them grow into well-rounded, loving, and contributing members of society. We have the “JOY” Philosophy. It stands for

“Jesus first”
“Others second”
“Yourself last”

In addition to academics, we teach character building and offer ample opportunities for children to be involved in giving back to others and helping one another.

Sincerely,
Great Adventures Learning Academy

-Enrollment Procedures-

The State of Texas requires certain paperwork to be filled out and kept on file for each child who enters Pre-School. The following forms & documents must be turned in upon enrollment on or before your child’s first day:

* Child Evaluation Form
* Enrollment Form w/ Emergency Consent
* Vaccine Records

-Hours of Operation-

We are open from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. If your child is in Pre-School, please have him or her here by 7:45 AM so they may reap the full benefit of class. As always, private sitting will be handled as normal.

-Attendance-

Regular attendance at class is essential for your child’s growth and development. When you enter our home, please sign your child in, you will also sign your child out. If your Pre-School child is not going to make it one day, it is your responsibility of notifying me as soon as possible.

-Fees & Payments-

Enrollment Fee: $20 (This is to cover supplies & curriculum for your child)
Weekly Fee: $50 per child (includes meals and snacks)

Payment is due either Weekly, Bi-Monthly, or Monthly, depending on what your individual situation needs, this will be discussed upon enrollment. A late fee of $25 applies.

Payment Forms Accepted: Cash, Money Order, Cashier’s Check, or Debit / Credit Cards. Checks will only be accepted from clients who have paid on time for at least 3 months. A returned check fee of $30 applies, and if the check is not picked up within 5 days, it will be turned over to the District Attorney for Prosecution, and the child may be withdrawn from care.

-Holidays and Vacations-

You are allowed one week per school year (August through January) for a vacation in which you do not have to pay tuition. We will be closed on the following holidays and you will not be responsible for payment on those days:
Memorial Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.

If your child misses, you are still responsible for tuition, unless you use your vacation.

-Attire and Clothing-

Please send your child to Pre-School in something that you don’t mind getting messy. A child’s play is their work, and a child’s work can be very messy at times! We love to draw on the sidewalk with chalk, paint, play in the sand, and get dirty!

Children and Parents are to remove shoes if they are coming beyond the entrance. This helps keep the environment safe for any infants we might have crawling around! Socks must be worn at all times. Each child has a cubby in which to place his or her shoes.

We are required to take the children outside every day, so please dress your child appropriate for the weather.

-Daily Schedule-

Our Daily Schedule & Routine is subject to change based upon the needs of the children present. Currently, this is our standard schedule that we use.

7:45 AM – 8:00 AM- Arrival & Get Ready for Class (Put Backpack up, take shoes off)
8:00 AM – 8:15 AM – Morning Routine (Pledges, Attendance, Daily Preview)
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM – Circle Time
8:45 AM – 9:00 AM – Morning Snack
9:00 AM – 9:45 AM – Lesson & Table Work, Small motor skills
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM – Music & Art
10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – Outdoor Play (Weather Permitting)
10:45 AM – 11:00 AM – Wash Hands, Get ready for Lunch
11:00 AM – 11:30 AM – Quiet Reading Time
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM – Lunch
12:00 PM – 12:30 PM – Bible Story & Prayer, Get ready for nap
12:30 PM – 2:30 PM – Nap/Rest Time
2:30 PM – 2:45 PM – Wake Up, Put mats up
2:45 PM – 3:00 PM – Afternoon Snack
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM – Gross Motor Play (Outdoor play, weather permitting)
3:45 PM – 4:15 PM – Wash Hands & Faces, Free Play
4:15 PM – 4:30 PM – Cleanup, Get ready to go home
4:30 PM – 5:00 PM – Daily Review & Recap FRIDAY: TV Time

-Curriculum Overview-

Our Curriculum is focused on encouraging a child to be independent and uses a variety of methods. The following is our curriculum overview for September through May.

MONTH COLOR SHAPE LETTERS NUMBER CHARACTER TRAIT
August Red Octagon L, T, H, I 0 Sharing
September White Square F, E, X, V 1 Compassion
October Orange Rectangle Y, N, Z, A 2 Thankfulness
November Brown Triangle K, M, W, D 3 Honesty
December Green Diamond P, B, R, J 4 Obedience
January Blue Heart U, C, G, S 5 Love
February Pink Star O, Q 6 Patience
March Purple Circle Sight Words 7 Self-Control
April Black Oval Sight Words 8 Organization
May Yellow Sight Words 9 Helping Others

We have a weekly Bible Verse and Animal that corresponds with each letter, and we have a monthly song that incorporates either our color or shape. We have a monthly “Theme” as well such as Community Helpers, Animals, etc…Starting in March, we build upon the letters we have learned and start basic sight words and reading.

-Discipline & Guidance Policy-

Discipline is focused and the goal is to teach the child to make better choices in the future. This is done through discussion, relevant to the child’s age and understanding, as well as “making up” for what they did. This can be through apologizing to a friend they hurt, helping care for a child they hurt, or anything else which puts the responsibility on the child to understand how their actions affected other children. We believe that each child should be held accountable and responsible for his or her actions.

The child will be given a warning and/or discussion to stop the behavior, and if they continue the behavior they will be placed in time-out for 1 minute for each year of age (a four year old goes in a four minute time out, etc…)

If the behavior is continued, you will be asked to come discipline your child, or remove them from care the rest of the day. Actions which threaten the life or safety of another child will be grounds for immediate parental contact.

-Medication Policy-

We will give medication, provided that the following things are in order
• All medications must be listed with the child’s name and specific dosing instructions (amount, time, how often).
• All medications must be in the original container
• All medications must be current and not expired. Under no circumstance will we administer expired medication.
• Prescription medication must be prescribed for that child, be in date, and have the child’s First and Last name, specific dosing instructions, pharmacy phone number, and doctor’s information.

-Sick Care Policy-

While our desire is that your child remains well throughout their childhood, we know this is not always a reality. Sometimes children get sick, and while we understand and sympathize, your child cannot be admitted for care if the following are present:

• A fever of 100.4 or more (For armpit temperature, add a degree and for rectal temperature subtract a degree)
• The illness prevents the child from participating comfortably in child-care
activities, including outdoor play
• The illness results in a greater need for care than caregivers can provide without
compromising the health, safety, and supervision of the other children in care.
• Symptoms and signs of possible severe illness, such as lethargy, abnormal
breathing, uncontrolled diarrhea, two or more vomiting episodes in 24 hours,
rash with fever, mouth sores with drooling, wheezing, behavior changes, or
other signs that the child may be severely ill.
• For more information, see reference sheet at end of packet

If your child becomes ill while in care, you will be required to come and pick them up – or send a designated representative and authorized person to pick them up. We will notify you immediately if your child becomes ill while in care. Per your request, we will give Motrin (ibuprofen), Tylenol (acetaminophen), or Benadryl (diphenhydramine). You must specifically tell us to give your child the medication. We do not keep other medicines on hand we can give.

Please see sheet at end of Handbook called “Keep me home if”, it will give you a quick reference for when to keep a child home.

-Pickup & Dropoff Policy-

Children will be released only to the Parent, Legal Guardian, or another authorized representative. If someone other than the parent/legal guardian is going to be picking up the child, you are to notify the caregiver when you drop your child off in the morning. You must list the First and Last Name, and an ID will be checked before releasing your child, so please be sure your designated person has a picture ID. Without an ID, or with an incorrect (expired, information difference, etc…) ID, your child will not be released under any circumstance.

We will make a copy of the ID and keep it in your child’s file.

-Visitor Policy-

You are free to visit your child or visit the home any time during operational hours. For security reasons, we cannot allow anyone other than prospective clients or current clients to visit, unless this has been arranged in advance. The only exception to this policy is in an Emergency situation; in which case you need to call the home as soon as possible and let them know what is going on, and who will be coming to get your child.

-Emergencies-

In the event of an emergency involving your child, necessary first aid and CPR will be administered and you will be notified. If a higher level of care is needed, we will contact Vital Care EMS in Bells, Texas. Their number is 903-965-7777. The care and transportation received by Vital Care costs will be the responsibility of the parent.

-“Go” Folder Policy-

Upon enrollment, your child will be given a daily “GO” folder. Inside, there will be a behavior chart on one side. Also included will be any papers to keep at home, or any that need to be returned. If your child’s behavior is on yellow or red, an explanation will be given. Please discuss this with your child and hold them accountable. Children receiving three “greens” for the week will be given a special treat on Fridays.

-Field Trips & Transportation-
We go to the city park daily, weather permitting. We do one big field trip in late fall to The Frank Buck Zoo in Gainesville, and we try to do 1 small (generally free) trip per month.
canadiancare 05:44 PM 08-05-2013
I need to revisit how detailed my toilet training policy is. I have a mom who did the 3 day "keep your child bare arsed" one and wants to bring her kid in pants with no underwear. I told her pull-ups until they are dry for 2 weeks and then underwear and she is arguing that this will be detrimental to her progress. I said you can do bare butt at home but not at my place.

Sorry if I am insulting anyone but this is gross.
Tags:contract - clear, contract - new, contract - renewal, contract - revisions, contract - yearly, contracts, handbook - layout, handbook - sample
Reply Up