Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Outdoor Toys for Toddlers
BabyMonkeys 06:55 PM 01-01-2016
I have two 24m and a 18m, and need some ideas for things for them to do outside. I have a few large balls and a couple of good size dump trucks for them to push around. All they want to do is pick up sticks and bang them on the tree, which works for me, but I feel like I should give them more options for outdoor fun. Any suggestions?
Baby Beluga 07:13 PM 01-01-2016
Bubbles and chalk are always a hit here. As well as our sandbox.
Controlled Chaos 07:20 PM 01-01-2016
I have things I rotate in and out outside just like inside.
Always Available:
Balls (I tape different shapes and pictures to the fence sometimes and they can practice throwing balls at them)
Trucks in the rock area
Push and ride on toys
Alligator teeter totter
Slide

Rotating Items:
A canvas tunnel (all ages love crawling through it)
Chalk
Tub of paper and crayons
Spray bottles of water and paint for the fence
Giant building blocks
Several large, shallow rubbermades with water and boats and other pouring things.
Bubbles
Plastic animals
Musical instruments

Santa brought our daycare a swing set and I can't wait for the snow to thaw so I can make dh assemble it
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 01-02-2016
snow and sleds

Good ideas already, just wanted to add cheap paintbrushes to the water play. If you have a playhouse or old kitchen set, you could get old pots/pans, utensils, loose parts. My dcks's favorite things to do are usually kitchen play outdoors. If you wanted you could bring plastic animals from indoors for outside play. We had a dinosaur world and fairy world this past summer that the kids played with a lot. Do you have a tree for toddler swings? That was definitely a coveted favorite.
284878 06:49 AM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
snow and sleds

Good ideas already, just wanted to add cheap paintbrushes to the water play. If you have a playhouse or old kitchen set, you could get old pots/pans, utensils, loose parts. My dcks's favorite things to do are usually kitchen play outdoors. If you wanted you could bring plastic animals from indoors for outside play. We had a dinosaur world and fairy world this past summer that the kids played with a lot. Do you have a tree for toddler swings? That was definitely a coveted favorite.
I have a good size back yard, dcb (18 months) would walk off with this small things and "lose" them in the grass. How do you prevent this from happening?
Josiegirl 07:48 AM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have a good size back yard, dcb (18 months) would walk off with this small things and "lose" them in the grass. How do you prevent this from happening?
Easy answer for me because I have yet to be able to grow grass from a foundation project 3 years ago.
Use the bigger size toys, I've gotten lots of dollar store dinosaurs and zoo animals. Fairies would probably be too small not to lose. Or somehow make a specific space towards the activity. We made a green bean teepee last summer and for some reason that became their primary fairyland.
Controlled Chaos 08:19 AM 01-02-2016
We do a big clean up before going in - "who can bring me the most dinosaurs?!" Etc. they get it pretty cleaned up or put it in a certain area and that's where it lives - crayons don't leave the little picnic table.
Pepperth 01:14 PM 01-02-2016
Rakes and shovels are the favorite here for that age.
childcaremom 02:39 PM 01-02-2016
Lately, the favourites are dinosaurs, kitchen stuff, and bubble containers (they're empty, they just like carrying them around). Now that the snow is here, buckets and shovels, too.

Also, ride on toys and the cube climber.

I have a ton of stuff for outside. It is stored in buckets on the deck (smaller toys must stay on deck) and in large deck storage boxes. It stays outside so I don't care if it gets dirty or wet.
Baby Beluga 08:23 PM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Lately, the favourites are dinosaurs, kitchen stuff, and bubble containers (they're empty, they just like carrying them around). Now that the snow is here, buckets and shovels, too.

Also, ride on toys and the cube climber.

I have a ton of stuff for outside. It is stored in buckets on the deck (smaller toys must stay on deck) and in large deck storage boxes. It stays outside so I don't care if it gets dirty or wet.
Mine do this too, they pretend the containers are lanterns
Jo123ABC 12:47 PM 01-29-2021
My kids are obsessed with the strollers and lawn mowers. Push toys! They run around constantly with them. They also love cookware. I bought rummage sale serving spoons and small pans as well as toy dishes for outside. They love them! We have wood chips, sand, grass, leaves, pinecones, little wood slices etc readily available for them so they often use these as ingredients for their creations
flying_babyb 05:24 PM 01-29-2021
our hits?
The bubble machine
cheap ride on toys
dollar tree buckets ect.

The kids love to carry random stuff around in buckets.
Jo123ABC 05:49 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by cherylly:
tricycles, ride on toy, or Laser Tag Sets and Guns so you can play with your kids.
Huh! Laser tag sounds fun! Never would have thought of that. Mine also love the bubble machine in nicer weather!
284878 07:45 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by cherylly:
tricycles, ride on toy, or Laser Tag Sets and Guns so you can play with your kids.
I am all for the right to bare arms but there is no way I would ever let a group of Toddlers play with guns, they need to be taught that guns are not toys. At this age they don't see the color, size or weight difference from the real and toy guns.

Plus if that can't play with it in school, they can't play with it in daycare. Why encourage something that could get them suspended from school?
Gemma 03:13 AM 01-30-2021
I am all for the right to bare arms but there is no way I would ever let a group of Toddlers play with guns, they need to be taught that guns are not toys. At this age they don't see the color, size or weight difference from the real and toy guns.

Plus if that can't play with it in school, they can't play with it in daycare. Why encourage something that could get them suspended from school?
I have to agree with this, after a 6yr old was suspended from Kindergarten, for making a gun out of Legos and pointing it at a classmate.
Zero tolerance at school, means no gun play at my day Care Care
Jo123ABC 10:40 PM 01-30-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I have to agree with this, after a 6yr old was suspended from Kindergarten, for making a gun out of Legos and pointing it at a classmate.
Zero tolerance at school, means no gun play at my day Care Care
Hmm, never thought of this either. We have random toy guns like water guns, police pistol, dart guns though I discourage them from pointing at each other. I tell them to get the bad guys instead. I'm 30. I'm from a conservative, pro-gun, pro-hunting, "four seasons playground" where outdoor recreation is life. My favorite games growing up were cowboys and Indians and cops and robbers... Often on horseback in the arena or pasture. I started riding at 3. We had those toy guns that shot false rounds just to make the "pop" noise and smell smokey. I grew up with hunting and guns around. I've never shot anyone nor have any of the people I played with nor anyone I know. I disagree with your statement about them not knowing the difference. If they don't know the difference it's because no one taught them. Just like they wouldn't know the difference between a potty and a toy bucket unless someone teaches them. My opinion. Anyway that being said, it's a sensitive topic that some parents disagree with, so you're right. Probably not a game for the daycare kids. Though I'd let my own kids play it
284878 05:48 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
Hmm, never thought of this either. We have random toy guns like water guns, police pistol, dart guns though I discourage them from pointing at each other. I tell them to get the bad guys instead. I'm 30. I'm from a conservative, pro-gun, pro-hunting, "four seasons playground" where outdoor recreation is life. My favorite games growing up were cowboys and Indians and cops and robbers... Often on horseback in the arena or pasture. I started riding at 3. We had those toy guns that shot false rounds just to make the "pop" noise and smell smokey. I grew up with hunting and guns around. I've never shot anyone nor have any of the people I played with nor anyone I know. I disagree with your statement about them not knowing the difference. If they don't know the difference it's because no one taught them. Just like they wouldn't know the difference between a potty and a toy bucket unless someone teaches them. My opinion. Anyway that being said, it's a sensitive topic that some parents disagree with, so you're right. Probably not a game for the daycare kids. Though I'd let my own kids play it
You right kids that are taught the difference may know the difference. But we are talking about toddlers ages 1-4 that have not been taught the difference. They are still learning big from small, real from pretend and how to share, I am no expert but I don't feel that a child that just learned to walk or working on how to use the toilet is ready to know the difference between real and toy guns.

Plus I have seen plenty toy guns that look real. (Just think of how many humans have been shot because the gun or object they had looked like a real gun)

To anyone that still disagrees with me:
If that isn't enough reason to not have guns in daycare, consider the child (could be a foster child or just one that lives in a bad situation) that had been traumatized by use of a gun. (By having one pointed at him or seen someone get shot) He needs to feel safe while in daycare and seeing a gun or hearing the sound of a pop gun may not help him feel safe.

Again I am all for the right to bear arms but during business hours, safety, security, and the health of the children come first.
Jo123ABC 10:04 AM 01-31-2021
You right kids that are taught the difference may know the difference. But we are talking about toddlers ages 1-4 that have not been taught the difference. They are still learning big from small, real from pretend and how to share, I am no expert but I don't feel that a child that just learned to walk or working on how to use the toilet is ready to know the difference between real and toy guns.

Plus I have seen plenty toy guns that look real. (Just think of how many humans have been shot because the gun or object they had looked like a real gun)

To anyone that still disagrees with me:
If that isn't enough reason to not have guns in daycare, consider the child (could be a foster child or just one that lives in a bad situation) that had been traumatized by use of a gun. (By having one pointed at him or seen someone get shot) He needs to feel safe while in daycare and seeing a gun or hearing the sound of a pop gun may not help him feel safe.

Again I am all for the right to bear arms but during business hours, safety, security, and the health of the children come first.
A child from a traumatic background is a bit different. I'm no professional in working with traumatized children though I have taken special education classes and have some tools under my belt if put in that situation. Obviously I would adjust my care to a child's needs just as I would not allow peanuts or strawberries f there were allergies. At this point, I don't have kids with allergies, so they can have peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches to their hearts content (kwim?)

Anyway, are my kids, who play cops and robbers, squirt each other with squirt guns, and shoot apples with foam darts going to be a problem to society when they grow up in your opinion? If you don't think so, why are you making a big deal out of laser tag?
284878 12:10 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
A child from a traumatic background is a bit different. I'm no professional in working with traumatized children though I have taken special education classes and have some tools under my belt if put in that situation. Obviously I would adjust my care to a child's needs just as I would not allow peanuts or strawberries f there were allergies. At this point, I don't have kids with allergies, so they can have peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches to their hearts content (kwim?)

Anyway, are my kids, who play cops and robbers, squirt each other with squirt guns, and shoot apples with foam darts going to be a problem to society when they grow up in your opinion? If you don't think so, why are you making a big deal out of laser tag?
No I have no opinion on kids that play cops and robbers (my brothers played it, although one of the two went to jail for attempted murder, so..) other than I would personally not teach kids to play it.

Here is why I don't encourage that type of play, when I was in high school I interned at a preschool and I started to teach kids how to play cops and robbers. The teacher pulled me to the side and told me not to encourage negative behavior, such as robbing or hurting others. Since then I discourage that kind of play. I have only had one child, that I termed for bullying me (by him and dcm) that tried to play finger guns in my care. I want to make it clear, I don't agree with any child playing with guns in a day care, not just when playing laser tag with guns but any gun play including but not limited to finger guns or making guns.

Just like using spray bottles instead of squirt guns, a provider could use flashlight instead of laser guns for laser tag. Be creative.

(Again I am pro the right to bare arms, just against guns play in daycare.)
Blackcat31 04:53 PM 01-31-2021
I don’t ban gun play for many reasons

I restrict certain types of play but not overall gun play.

I believe strongly in education not eradication.
Blanket censorship creates a difficult environment that often ends up with the opposite results.
Jo123ABC 08:52 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don’t ban gun play for many reasons

I restrict certain types of play but not overall gun play.

I believe strongly in education not eradication.
Blanket censorship creates a difficult environment that often ends up with the opposite results.
Yes!!! This!
Tags:outdoor toys, toddler toys
Reply Up