Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Off For December
JaydensMommy 07:27 AM 11-21-2011
What days are you all taking off for December since Christmas Eve and Christmas falls on Saturday and Sunday? I was thinking of taking off Friday, the 23rd and Monday, the 26th.. ? Or do you not take any days since they fall of the weekend.
greenhouse 07:34 AM 11-21-2011
Bluch...none for me or hubby this year.
Zoe 07:36 AM 11-21-2011
I'm taking the Friday before Christmas off. I'm also taking my second week of vacation in between Christmas and New Year's. But if I weren't, I'd take off the Friday before New Year's, just to get myself the holiday.

I might make one exception though for my student mother who's infant is only here for two hours, just so that she doesn't have to miss her last day of school for the term! NOT cool to miss finals!
Springdaze 08:06 AM 11-21-2011
Im taking the day after the holidays. The state gives me those days paid off so if i dont take them, Im kinda losing out. I dont mind the day after new years cuz we dont do anything, but its nice to have a day after Christmas
Sunchimes 08:14 AM 11-21-2011
I haven't talked to my moms yet, but I'm hoping to take Christmas eve and the day after so that I have time to see all of my scattered family. Two will be fine with it, but I'm not sure the 3rd will have back-up, and I hate to leave her stranded. She's struggling enough as it is. We'll see. If I have too, I'll just take her with me.
SilverSabre25 08:41 AM 11-21-2011
I'm taking December 26th off and that's it.
dEHmom 08:51 AM 11-21-2011
I was originally going to take the 23rd off for xmas eve, and the monday is a holiday anyway here because it is boxing day (paid stat). However, due to subsidy, I can only get paid for xmas if I take the 27th off. So now my xmas holidays are

December 26 (boxing day)
December 27th (christmas day)
And then I'm taking January 2nd off as a stat (new years day)
daycare 08:52 AM 11-21-2011
I am closing on the friday before and the monday after....

Just found out my husband has to work christams day....uuughghghghgh
mac60 08:54 AM 11-21-2011
I am going to pass out a paper to have families fill out, and plan my days off accordingly. If they don't give it back filled out, and the ones filled out don't need me on Friday, I will take Friday off. Monday is already off since it is the day after Christmas.

I does say in my handbook about weekend holidays will be celebrated Fri/Mon, but I haven't really ever held people to it. But may do so this year.
JenNJ 08:58 AM 11-21-2011
I am taking Monday the 26th off. I think only one child is coming on Friday the 23rd and only for 3 hours. So pretty much a 4 day weekend.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
What days are you all taking off for December since Christmas Eve and Christmas falls on Saturday and Sunday? I was thinking of taking off Friday, the 23rd and Monday, the 26th.. ? Or do you not take any days since they fall of the weekend.
For Chirstmas Eve and Day Im closed Friday the 23rd and Monday the 26th

For New Years Eve and Day Im closed Friday the 30th and Monday Jan. 2nd
small_steps 09:21 AM 11-21-2011
Friday the 23rd and Monday the 26th for me. I'm ready! Love November & December because I get these breaks each month.
CountryMommy 09:51 AM 11-21-2011
The Agency I am with is giving me paid holidays from the 24th until the 1st of January. I am taking an extra couple of days off (until the 4th) which I won't get paid for.
DaycareMomma 10:07 AM 11-21-2011
I am closed the 23rd and 26th and then the Friday and Monday around New Years also.

It will be a much needed long weekend! My hubby just found out he is getting 2 weeks paid vacation around the holidays too, which sweetens the deal.
boysx5 10:31 AM 11-21-2011
I'm taking both Monday's the 26th and the 2nd off
JeepGirl6 10:45 AM 11-21-2011
I take one week off a year...I have not taken a week off this year so I told the parents I am taking the last week off in December...A new parent seemed a little upset but I need my time off too. I don't charge them for their vacations or days off...I have 3 families that use me so they can go to school so that week I would have been out those 3 families anyway because they were off for college/holiday break so I figured it would work out fine I am soooo excited to have a whole week off...its been a long time...last year I only took 3 days off not even my whole week, boy its going to be nice and relaxing
Texasjeepgirl 10:47 AM 11-21-2011
My PARENT HANDBOOK lists that I will be closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and December 26... but.. I also recieve funds from an assistance program.. the majority of my current clients are on this... and.. They pay me 2 days... BUSINESS DAYS.. for Christmas.. so.. I will be Closed Friday, December 23.. and Monday, December 26... For the New Year.. I will be closed Monday, January 2.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 11-21-2011
I am closed Thursday Dec 22- Tuesday Dec 27.

I usually close the entire week of Christmas but with it falling on a weekend this year I split the vacation days into two weeks. Normally when I take the week off, I get 5 days but only taking 4 days off leaves me 1 extra day to close at a future date.
Ariana 11:06 AM 11-21-2011
I am taking the full week after Christmas so the 26th - Jan 3rd.
SunflowerMama 11:27 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I'm doing the same thing...and I cannot wait! It's been in my contract since last January and it's paid .
mismatchedsocks 11:30 AM 11-21-2011
I am not taking any days off. Christmas and New Years fall on weekend and those are my days off. I am hoping that a few of my non medical field families will take off and keep their kids home, but I dont know yet.
caring4kidsinSD 11:32 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Friday the 23rd and Monday the 26th for me. I'm ready! Love November & December because I get these breaks each month.
Same here
TBird 12:20 PM 11-21-2011
I'm closing the entire week after Xmas...always have. I don't charge for it, as they will have to find & pay for alternate care.
sahm2three 12:24 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
This is what I did.
JaydensMommy 12:44 PM 11-21-2011
Well, I was worried I was taking too many days off, since I am also closing the friday before christmas week for my sons school trip. But I think it should be fine. Now, I just have to decide if I should take any days off for New Years Eve and New Years, I have them listed as paid holidays but they fall on the weekend too...
iheartkids 08:23 PM 11-21-2011
I originally told my families that I was taking Friday and Monday off PAID and Tuesday off unpaid. But I think I'm going to change my mind. I don't think I really need 5 days off.
Abigail 10:56 PM 11-21-2011
Well, my first two kids from the same family start a week before Christmas. LOL. They know I'm closed 2 days and that it is paid, but they said they are leaving town anyways. I would rather be closed working up to the holiday to relax and slow down and really enjoy the actual day. So I think I will close Thursday and Friday since I get the equall amount of paid holidays post or prior the actual holiday. Then I would be open Monday.

What I just realized is chances are the family I watch will not travel home on Christmas Day so that would technically give me Monday off paid since I don't give out client vacations. I'm thinking when it gets to be about 2-3 weeks before Christmas I'll advertise for drop in on Monday only because so many of you guys are closed Monday I bet it's the same here where parents need someone for Monday until their daycare opens again Tuesday.

I'm glad someone asked this question I will have to type up my closed dates (I already have the 10 holidays typed in the handbook), but I need to put down the actual day so I can give it out at interviews for families.
nannyde 02:54 AM 11-22-2011
December 17th thru Dec 31
Meyou 04:22 AM 11-22-2011
I'm taking Dec. 23-January 3 off. Most of my families are off and I only had 2 true working days during that time so I decided to take the whole thing.
beachgrl 09:34 AM 11-22-2011
Probably Friday the 23 and monday the 26 for Christmas, only have two so if either or both go out of town for any reason, not likely, then may get another day or something in there. I will also take Monday after new years off per my handbook..I plan to enjoy my newly appointed days because they are not so prevalent come spring and I will have a psychotic semester as will my hubby come spring..not looking forward to it I. The least
Cat Herder 10:31 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Same here.

I do not charge for it, though. I plan for it a year in advance.
renodeb 11:29 AM 11-22-2011
I usually dont take any days off except for eve/day/dayafter but my MIL is coming for a visit the 22-28th of december so Im taking that time off. My mil is great and I wanted to have a nice visit with her. Plus I really needed sometime off. Yeah for vacation.
Debbie
renodeb 11:30 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I'm taking Dec. 23-January 3 off. Most of my families are off and I only had 2 true working days during that time so I decided to take the whole thing.
Nice! Enjoy.
Debbie
MsMe 11:35 AM 11-22-2011
we were just talking about this here and I deceided i would take Monday the 26th off for my Christmas hoilday. then I remembered that I always take the 26th off.....so do I take Friday as my paid Holiday or just wait for next year when I get M-W off?
KEG123 11:41 AM 11-22-2011
sat, sun and mon technically....but 1 family is gone the 26th-30th for vacay and the other family will only be there tues & thurs. woot woot!
Tags:paid holidays
Reply Up