Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Rate and Deposit Questions
safechner 08:42 PM 04-27-2010
I have been watching two sisters for more than two years. It would be their last day of my daycare this Friday due to the mother will being laid off from her job. I am going to take a break for a month but I will be keeping an 8 month old dcg. I decided I will stick with my new policy. I am going to work on my new handbook or policy and fix up a little bit like put a new hard wood in my formal dining room and living room in May. I also will buy some new toys for our daycare kids in my dining room. It would be daycare area in my dining room..

Anyways, I decided I will accept part time and full time but I am not sure about drop ins yet. I have a question about part time rate. For example, I charge $125 a week per child from 3 to 5 years old for a full time. If the parents need three days a week for their child. It would be $75 a week but I do think I should charge a little more for a part time. How much do you think I should increase the rate for a part time like $5 or $10 more?

I also decided I will need deposit for holding spot fee or registration fee which is nonrefundable. How much do you think I should charge in my area (McKinney Texas)? It will save my time because I am so sick of those parents think I shouldn't get paid for two weeks notice in the past. I am not doing this anymore so I thought it would helpful if I requested for holding spot fee or registration fee up front and plus week fee in advance before I start care with their child/ren. I will have openings again in May 24th or June 1st. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!
gbcc 03:42 AM 04-28-2010
I charge $130 per week and then $30 per day for part time. So for 3 days it would be $90. If they choose to be part time though and need 5 days then it would be $150, not $130. I try to encourage full time. I also let them know that if I have the chance to fill with a full time spot then I will do so. I offer a guarenteed part time spot. So for $115 per week they can come part time and I will guarentee a spot. If they need the extra days that week I wont charge extra.
judytrickett 04:10 AM 04-28-2010
Part time should always costs more than full time. Always. And your deposit upon registration should be NON refundable and equal to two weeks of their regular fees. For example, if they sign on to 3 days a week then the deposit should equal 6 days.

Also, make sure you still have a minimum number of days you will allow a child to attend. Mine is 3 days a week as I feel it is nearly impossible to transition kids and keep them transitioned if they come any less than that.

You should also have a paper called the "Daycare Deposit Receipt and Guarantee of Placement" that is basically a receipt saying that you received the deposit, that it is NON refundable, and that by taking the deposit YOU are saving a space for them. Have both you and the parents sign it and everyone gets a copy.
momma2girls 09:39 AM 04-28-2010
I have my rates set at $140.00 for newborns - completely potty trained, then $130.00/week after that. I have a 3 day min. as well- I charge $30.00 per day for parttimers.
Golden Rule 09:59 AM 04-28-2010
I stopped doing drop-in and part-time years ago. I now only have 6 full-time slots, paid whether or not the child attends. They are paying for their "slot".

I also have one "no-pay" slot available to need based parents, dependent on how many infants I have at any given time. This is not advertised, I offer it to individual families locally (usually former patients).

Life simplified, for me and the kids Less turnover and the kids become very close to one another, longterm.

Originally, I charged a set weekly rate, the part-time/drop-in rate was weekly rate, divided by # of days attended + $10.

The two child discount was 50% off for second child.

I know it sounds harsh, but since going to this system I have had a 3 year waiting list. Every child here has someone waiting for their slot. I have not advertised in over 5 years...
momma2girls 10:07 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
I stopped doing drop-in and part-time years ago. I now only have 6 full-time slots, paid whether or not the child attends. They are paying for their "slot".

I also have one "no-pay" slot available to need based parents, dependent on how many infants I have at any given time. This is not advertised, I offer it to individual families locally (usually former patients).

Life simplified, for me and the kids Less turnover and the kids become very close to one another, longterm.

Originally, I charged a set weekly rate, the part-time/drop-in rate was weekly rate, divided by # of days attended + $10.

The two child discount was 50% off for second child.

I know it sounds harsh, but since going to this system I have had a 3 year waiting list. Every child here has someone waiting for their slot. I have not advertised in over 5 years...
Can I ask what you charge per week? Any sibling discounts now?
Thanks
Golden Rule 11:25 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Can I ask what you charge per week? Any sibling discounts now?
Thanks
Sure... $95.00 week for one, $142.50 for 2.
momma2girls 11:51 AM 04-28-2010
Sure... $95.00 week for one, $142.50 for 2.
What state do you live? Is that the going rate in your area? Thanks!
safechner 01:13 PM 04-28-2010
Thanks everyone! It sounds reasonable! Now I have another question. If I decided I accept drops in but do you think I should make them to sign the contract or arrangement?
fctjc1979 01:22 PM 04-28-2010
I don't watch kids in my daycare a lot so I just charge hourly. I still have a contract, though. Contracts are a must for any business.
momma2girls 01:52 PM 04-28-2010
I charge $30.00 per day for fillins. Most are from my friend's daycares when they are sick or on vac. then I take their children on for a day or a week.
Golden Rule 02:16 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
What state do you live? Is that the going rate in your area? Thanks!
I am in Metro Atlanta...the going rate is anywhere from $65.00 to $140.00. Unregistered daycares outnumber us 10/1 in the paper and on Craigs list.

I have read ads for a few that charge $200 and up, but I have a theory these parents are the same folks who buy $2000.00 shoes
momma2girls 03:44 PM 04-28-2010
I am in Metro Atlanta...the going rate is anywhere from $65.00 to $140.00. Unregistered daycares outnumber us 10/1 in the paper and on Craigs list.

I have read ads for a few that charge $200 and up, but I have a theory these parents are the same folks who buy $2000.00 shoes
I used to fly into Atlanta every yr. onto our family trip to Florida, but now they are all nonstop flights that we take.
The going rate where I am is $100-$200.00 per child per week.
boysx5 06:07 PM 04-28-2010
I charge 200.00 a week for infants and 175.00 for toddlers my drop in rate is 7 an hour and I do a deposit as well the deposit saved me this Dec. when a family wanted an infant spot then changed their mind and cost me another family and they tried to get the 200.00 back but I said thats why I said be sure you want the spot before you give me the deposit you guys have now cost me a lost of income
Tags:deposit, drop in care, part time, rate
Reply Up