Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No more infants!
Movingforward 01:06 PM 05-23-2015
Oh my have I learned what works for me and what doesn't from the past few months that has passed by! I really don't think I will be able to handle mixed age care as well as I thought!
I think I can enjoy this profession a little bit more if I can have children that are older. Like 2-6 yo instead of 3mo-6yo? I'd doing things with children and have that kind of interaction. Infants are just not my thing...am I a bad person
I know the infants spots are the ones in high demand so I'm worried if I change the age to toddlers and up, it would affect the enrollment rate. Has anyone in the bay area or anywhere have experience with only enrolling older kids?
cheerfuldom 01:11 PM 05-23-2015
a lot of providers do not take infants, don't feel bad! I only take one under 12 months at a time because any more than that and there is just too much crying in the house. Enrollment is only affected when people want siblings together or when there isnt a lot of preschool-age-only demand. It just depends on your area. Here, there are many places that take just one or two babies, or none, so it is common. the infants spots are in high demand. centers generally have the room but people seem less inclined for centers for babies here. I have a lot of parents stay with in-home for two or three years and then move to centers or preschool.
Controlled Chaos 05:02 PM 05-23-2015
I have one infant - super happy and easy and I still think he will be the last dck I take under 15m. I just prefer 15m - 3, so I will take 15m - 5yo from now on probably. Keeping older kids as they age but not past kinder. Its hard isn't it? If I had a larger space I could break up by age I think it would be different.
daycare 07:59 PM 05-23-2015
I'm in the bay are at and only take 18m-5yr. I also can't do infants. Just can't.
jenboo 08:47 AM 05-24-2015
I had two infants and 4 two year olds. It was great! I love the babies! When I reopen in a couple years (getting settled in a new state), I'll only taking 2 and under
Movingforward 03:03 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
a lot of providers do not take infants, don't feel bad! I only take one under 12 months at a time because any more than that and there is just too much crying in the house.... I have a lot of parents stay with in-home for two or three years and then move to centers or preschool.
That would be a good alternative, to have one infant and the rest toddlers. I'll try that out next year to see if it works for me.
Movingforward 03:11 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I have one infant - super happy and easy and I still think he will be the last dck I take under 15m. I just prefer 15m - 3, so I will take 15m - 5yo from now on probably. Keeping older kids as they age but not past kinder. Its hard isn't it? If I had a larger space I could break up by age I think it would be different.
Oh wouldn't I love a larger space so different age groups can have their own space! I really don't mind when they are steady on their feet, infants require so much more one on one that it drains me. Now 1 full time and 2 part time infants, I'm not going to term them so I'll be sticking it out with them! Its so hard when we have to test to see what works and what doesn't which sometimes that means we are bound by commitment and can't change things right away.
Movingforward 03:16 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I'm in the bay are at and only take 18m-5yr. I also can't do infants. Just can't.
You know what I mean! Good to know that it's doable, giving me hope
Movingforward 03:18 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I had two infants and 4 two year olds. It was great! I love the babies! When I reopen in a couple years (getting settled in a new state), I'll only taking 2 and under
Wow, more power to you. If we were in the same area then we can refer families to each other haha
jenboo 03:31 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by Movingforward:
Wow, more power to you. If we were in the same area then we can refer families to each other haha
I had both infants on the same morning nap schedule and everyone on the same afternoon schedule. That was what kept me sane.

I do not enjoy the 2-3 yr olds in groups. 4's I can handle because they are older. And I'm definitely done by the time they turn 5
Unregistered 02:37 PM 05-25-2015
Oh man! Infants are NOT my thing either! I enroll one year and up. I do love children between one and two. But it's very hard for me when I have all two's and younger. I need three's and four's like I need oxygen!
Unregistered 11:19 AM 05-26-2015
Infants never bothered me, but too many concerns with unsafe practices with the parents. My last infant, the parents were putting rice cereal in the bottle before 2 mo. I was told their pediatrician said it was ok, yeah right my @ss. They were professionals that wanted their sleep.

Then when he was around 3 mo, they asked if I could stay open 20-30 min. longer because the wife didn't get home till later, and the husband couldn't handle the crying etc. omg.

No more infants, typically 18 mo and up for me.
Reply Up