Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM With Child Attending, 8 Months Pregnant
trix23 08:00 PM 06-18-2017
Currently attending toddler has a new brother coming in August. How should I address the question of if the older one will keep coming MWF after the baby comes or if DCM will pull him for temp 6 weeks?

What's your policy on this?
renodeb 09:42 PM 06-18-2017
I would think by now she would of addressed the issue. I would find a way to mention it soon.
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 06-19-2017
'Sue, what are your plans for dcb while you're on maternity leave? Will you want to keep him on the same schedule?'

Is she bringing the baby when she goes back to work? If she hems and haws you might want to remind her there is a 2 week notice(or whatever your policy is) if she plans on leaving dc.
Jupadia 04:30 AM 06-19-2017
Mat leave us a year here for those who pay into unemployment. So I uselly ask around 6 month period or so. I do this cause most times the kid is leaving since mom can't afford pay cut on mat leave and daycare. If I have room and they want I'll keep child on pt. But I let parent know that I may give notice if I fill their spot with a ft kid. Unfortunately by the time most family's are ready to put baby into daycare at a year I don't have a space for both kids if I have a space. (Can only have 5 and my 2 take 2 of those spots).

I would simply ask if they have not volunteered info. They might have also not put a lot of thought into it yet. So you asking will get them thinking.
Snowmom 06:28 AM 06-19-2017
I would approach it with what your 'leave' policy is.

"Hi Sally,
Since your due date is quickly approaching and I know how exciting and chaotic the timing can be, I wanted to reiterate what my policy is on long term absences (or if you don't have one, reiterate when payment is due)."

Me personally, I don't give free time off or save a space without pay. So, I tell my families that I am happy to keep dck on schedule with regular attendance. They usually do keep bringing their child to keep them on schedule and a sense of normalcy.
trix23 07:21 AM 06-19-2017
I don't hold spots without pay, either, so will be asking her about it.

Her child is here for socialization and so she can do training/online school for a job. She doesn't work. Should I have her make a decision by early July about what their plan is?
Ariana 07:35 AM 06-19-2017
I had this same situation happen to me twice. Both families kept their kids with me during mat leave but on a reduced schedule. Both wanted the sibling with me which I allowed for because I like part timers so it worked for me. I had to ask because neither parent brought it up!

I would definitely let her know what you are willing to do and then put a deadline on when she can let you know.
daycare 07:48 AM 06-19-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I don't hold spots without pay, either, so will be asking her about it.

Her child is here for socialization and so she can do training/online school for a job. She doesn't work. Should I have her make a decision by early July about what their plan is?
My policy is that I don't hold spots or give unpaid time off. They are still required to give their normal notice time frame, mine is 30 days. At that time if she says oh I am going to take him out, I would just come back with I wanted to make sure you understood our policy on terming care with us. once you leave for whatever reason, we fill the spot. I will not be able to guarantee you a spot when/if you want your child to return.

I had a parent do this a few years back and still pulled her kid. about a month later the new sibling is born and mom is screaming at me to come back and giving me her pitty story of how she can't handle two kids and that she needs her child to come back now. I told her as much as I wanted to re-enroll them, I had to fill the spot and I no longer had one to offer them.

I am not sure what you want your policy to be on this. Are you willing to hold the spot for a fee?
trix23 08:14 AM 06-19-2017
I hold spots for 1/2 rate regardless of reason. So she could do that.
daycare 08:21 AM 06-19-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I hold spots for 1/2 rate regardless of reason. So she could do that.
I would just send her an email along with the form detailing this policy.

Hey Sue,
I know your maternity leave is coming up and we have not had a chance to discuss your options here at ABC Daycare.

While we hope that johnny will stay on with us attending his normal schedule during that time, I wanted to provide you with our policy on temporary holding a spot for you.

If you could get back to me bx XYZ date, I would greatly appreciate it.

or something like this.

what is your requirement to give notice?
laundrymom 09:38 AM 06-19-2017
"Mom, during your maternity leave will you be dropping off and picking up big bro at regular time or will he be here less hours per day? "
CityGarden 09:45 AM 06-19-2017
You have been given good advice.... I would also ask her if she is interested in the baby enrolling and remind her of whatever your policy is on that.
trix23 11:08 AM 06-19-2017
Yes, I will be asking that too. Thanks all!!!
trix23 04:31 PM 06-19-2017
She already emailed me back saying that she's going to keep him PT after baby comes and that she'll enroll the baby at about 6 months old if there's room. PT for both unless she goes back to work, then FT.
Tags:maternity leaves
Reply Up