Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Question
Pandaluver21 02:34 PM 08-30-2020
So before I start preschool next month, I am helping a family out with potty training. I love potty training, don't ask me why because I have no idea.

Anyway, I have hit a bump in the road. He is doing amazing, tells me every time he pees and usually a split second before he goes. He understands all the important parts, but it just feels like we can't get over this last hump.
He doesn't "let it go" on command. I believe he realizes he has to go, so he will sit on the toilet, but nothing happens. He also will hold it for 2-3 hours.

Any tips to get him over this last hump? Most kids I potty train, it takes 2-3 days... a week at most. It has been a week today and he's 90% there, but we just need to get him the last chunk.

And both parents are 100% committed and doing great working with me, so no issues there.
Michael 04:17 PM 08-30-2020
Put Cheerios in the toilet water and let him try to sink them. Sometimes that relaxes them enough to let them concentrate on something other than holding it.
Pandaluver21 04:18 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
Put Cheerios in the toilet water and let him try to sink them. Sometimes that relaxes them.
I've heard that a lot, but I teach all boys sitting down :P
This is about the 10th kid I've potty trained (all but 2 were boys) but he just can't get over this last hurdle.
flying_babyb 06:42 PM 08-30-2020
any advice for the stubborn child?
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 08-31-2020
I have no advice. I haven't potty trained a child since my own were young 25+ years ago.
Rockgirl 09:12 AM 08-31-2020
I put them on the toilet and step outside the bathroom. I think it’s a lot of pressure on a child to go while we’re standing there watching. I usually say, “I’m going to go do xyz in the other room. I’ll be back in a minute.” Then I just step right outside the door, out of sight. They usually go then!
Pandaluver21 10:46 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
any advice for the stubborn child?
How old? Most kids I have potty trained, I just don't give another option. Pee in the potty, we celebrate, pee on the floor you clean it up. (I obviously help and then we wash hands) One of my most stubborn kids about 2 accidents in said "I don't want to clean this anymore" so I told him "then don't pee on the floor" Never had another accident

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have no advice. I haven't potty trained a child since my own were young 25+ years ago.
I don't have any of my own :P I weirdly love potty training, but this kiddo is the youngest I've done so its a little different.

Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I put them on the toilet and step outside the bathroom. I think it’s a lot of pressure on a child to go while we’re standing there watching. I usually say, “I’m going to go do xyz in the other room. I’ll be back in a minute.” Then I just step right outside the door, out of sight. They usually go then!
Yes! He is definitely a privacy kid! 9 times out of 10 he pees when I'm not in the room. I just tell him "I'll be right back, go ahead and pee" and about 60% of the time he does.
Baby Beluga 12:36 PM 08-31-2020
What if you sang a song? If he realizes he has to go, but is intentionally holding it and not releasing when sitting on the toilet, maybe singing a song would help distract him so he goes?

If that doesn't work, what about food coloring in the toilet water? If you add red or blue food coloring to the toilet water it will change color when peed on. Maybe that would encourage him to let go?
Pandaluver21 12:16 PM 09-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
What if you sang a song? If he realizes he has to go, but is intentionally holding it and not releasing when sitting on the toilet, maybe singing a song would help distract him so he goes?

If that doesn't work, what about food coloring in the toilet water? If you add red or blue food coloring to the toilet water it will change color when peed on. Maybe that would encourage him to let go?
I sing my own rendition of "let it go" when he sits on the potty It doesn't help, but it's entertaining to both of us!
After he does pee, we sing "It's potty time" by Patty Shukla (pretty sure she's his best friend) and that encourages him.
He would LOVE the food coloring trick, but he has a potty chair that makes a noise when he pees, so there's no liquid in there before hand.

Update: We hit our "aha moment" today!- Day 11!
No accidents, asked to go potty each time, and has FINALLY learned to empty his bladder!
He had a tiny dribble, ran to the potty and finished up. During lunch he asked to get down and told me he had to poop. Didn't end up pooping but did empty his bladder again!
Really hoping he keeps this up at home over the next 3 days, his mom is feeling a bit discouraged at home, but is pushing through!
He is 21 months, says about 35 words, but none of those are bathroom related. He signs (ASL) about 150 words, so he can sign pee, poop, potty and accident, as well as help and please 😃
Tags:potty training - boys, potty training advice, stubborn child
Reply Up