Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rates Question
melilley 12:29 PM 09-22-2014
I am raising my daily and weekly rates. Does this make sense to you?
I don't know why, but I'm having a brain freeze...lol

I am going to charge new families $140 a week for full time. Part time families are going to be charged $35 a day. But, if I charge $35 a day, then if they come 4 days, it's the same as 5. So wouldn't they more than likely come 5 anyways? My set weekly rate is going to be $140, so what would you charge p/t families?
Indoorvoice 12:37 PM 09-22-2014
What if you charged pt families $33 per day? That still provides an incentive to choose full time, but also provides an incentive for your pt families to stay pt. You could break it down further and say less than 3 days per week is considered "drop in" and charge those people $35. Just thinking out loud.. I think I see where you were going with those numbers.
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

I am going to charge new families $140 a week for full time. Part time families are going to be charged $35 a day. But, if I charge $35 a day, then if they come 4 days, it's the same as 5. So wouldn't they more than likely come 5 anyways? My set weekly rate is going to be $140, so what would you charge p/t families?
When I charged $140 a week for 5 days I adjusted the 4 day a week families to $116. About a $1 a day more.

I charged $100 for 3 SET days and $110 for 3 varying days. 3 day a week families were limited to 9 hours of care. If they needed more hours in a day, it cost them $5 per hour. I didn't break the hours down. 1 minute into the hour was a full charge of $5.

HTH
Leigh 12:39 PM 09-22-2014

My part time rate is for only up to 20 hours of care, and I charge 65% of my full-time rate for that. So, in your situation, I'd charge $90/week for up to 20 hours and anything after 20 is a full-time slot. I only allow one part-time kid at a time, all of my other slots are full-time regardless of attendance.
CraftyMom 01:09 PM 09-22-2014

Before I changed my rates I had an issue come up twice. Child was coming 4 days/week but my 5 day rate wasn't much more than what they were paying for 4. So they ended up coming the extra day for a few dollars more even though they didn't need it...enter the child coming on days when the parent was home just because, and me only making a few more dollars for it.
melilley 01:10 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Before I changed my rates I had an issue come up twice. Child was coming 4 days/week but my 5 day rate wasn't much more than what they were paying for 4. So they ended up coming the extra day for a few dollars more even though they didn't need it...enter the child coming on days when the parent was home just because, and me only making a couple more dollars for it.
This is what I figured would happen!
jenboo 01:11 PM 09-22-2014
Here is how I do mine.
5 days is $155 ($31/ day)
4 days is $140 ($35/day)
3 and fewer days is considered drop in and is $40/day
jenboo 01:13 PM 09-22-2014
Before I changed my rates I had an issue come up twice. Child was coming 4 days/week but my 5 day rate wasn't much more than what they were paying for 4. So they ended up coming the extra day for a few dollars more even though they didn't need it...enter the child coming on days when the parent was home just because, and me only making a few more dollars for it.
I prefer that the families come 5 days. To me, it makes it easier for our routine/ schedule.
melilley 01:13 PM 09-22-2014
How about this?:
2 days $70
3 days $105
4 days $125

Does this make sense? I am NOT a numbers person, can you tell?!

My old rates were $30 a day or $130 a week.
TwinKristi 01:40 PM 09-22-2014
Would it fly to do one flat rate for all spots regardless of days? Like $140/wk regardless. Do you want to encourage or discourage PT?? I recently offered a family a $2/day discount if they paid for the month in advance. If they need biweekly paymemts, no discount. I guess the $2/day wasn't worth it because they did the higher rate. I was kinda shocked.
holly333 02:25 PM 09-22-2014
If I had someone coming 4 days I would want them to pay the FT rate as it's hard to balance that other day with another child so they're essentially taking up a FT spot. If it's 3 days/week, you could possibly get another PT child to balance it out. Just how I look at it
melilley 02:33 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Would it fly to do one flat rate for all spots regardless of days? Like $140/wk regardless. Do you want to encourage or discourage PT?? I recently offered a family a $2/day discount if they paid for the month in advance. If they need biweekly paymemts, no discount. I guess the $2/day wasn't worth it because they did the higher rate. I was kinda shocked.
No, that wouldn't work. I'm probably out of the norm, but I like p/t kids! So far I have 4 p/t kids and they all have adjusted well! I like to have at least 3-4 full time with the other being p/t.
CraftyMom 02:49 PM 09-22-2014
No, that wouldn't work. I'm probably out of the norm, but I like p/t kids! So far I have 4 p/t kids and they all have adjusted well! I like to have at least 3-4 full time with the other being p/t.
I like to have one or 2 part time, it breaks up the week a little

Just not the ones that have a hard time adjusting
jenboo 03:02 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by holly333:
If I had someone coming 4 days I would want them to pay the FT rate as it's hard to balance that other day with another child so they're essentially taking up a FT spot. If it's 3 days/week, you could possibly get another PT child to balance it out. Just how I look at it
I have 5 out of 6 kids that come 4 days a week. I made my rate for 4 days what I would normally make my 5 day rate. Then I made my 5 day rate a tiny bit more than my 4 day that.
This way, I'm still making what I need to make but not missing out on the money. Make sense??
CraftyMom 03:40 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have 5 out of 6 kids that come 4 days a week. I made my rate for 4 days what I would normally make my 5 day rate. Then I made my 5 day rate a tiny bit more than my 4 day that.
This way, I'm still making what I need to make but not missing out on the money. Make sense??
Ooooo I like that!
jenboo 04:46 PM 09-22-2014
Ooooo I like that!
It took a while to figure out but I love it!
melilley 06:21 PM 09-22-2014
I like to have one or 2 part time, it breaks up the week a little

Just not the ones that have a hard time adjusting

Reply Up