Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Metal, Plastic and wood
Maria2013 06:32 PM 09-27-2013
I'm looking for ANY ideas on metal, plastic and wood so I can teach the kids the different materials their toys and daycare equipment are made out of

I've tried several searches on google and I got nothing so I thought I'd ask you guys

Thank you
Size18 08:31 AM 09-28-2013
If I'm reading your post correctly, I'd put on a fun kid course Re:. I'd gather up as many items in the different materials you want the children to learn, then go through each and explain what each is made of. To further the idea, you can compare each item with other things in and around the home.

For example... a wooden play block is the same material as the doors and surrounds in the home, the cutting block/board in the kitchen, etc, as for things made of plastic, rubber, or vinyl, a trip to the bathroom should reward you with everything needed to provide examples of, such as, the vinyl shower curtain, shampoo/conditioner bottles, the plastic packing that toilet paper is packaged in, rubber baby bottle nipples, etc.

After you've covered off putting on the course for them, quiz them and ask them to show you a toy, then something around the home that's made out of the same material.

Television shows related to wood-crafting, etc, would be ideal in covering the workability of wood in general. You could go on to further explain that wood is natural and was once alive, whereas plastics and rubbers and vinyls are often liquids that end up as solids, then show them what you have on hand in the way of juice pitchers, plastic glasses and cups, etc.
Familycare71 09:06 AM 09-28-2013
I may be off but I'm wondering if old mr Rogers shows would have some good videos for it? I don't remember what it was but it was how its made for kids
Maria2013 01:08 PM 09-28-2013
Thank you guys
I've been going around house and playground and talk about what the different things are made of, for a couple of weeks I can clearly see that they are not grasping the difference between materials, I was hoping you guys knew a better way to plan this lesson

Next, I'm going to try something using "spoons" since they come in all 3 materials
Maria2013 01:14 PM 09-28-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I may be off but I'm wondering if old mr Rogers shows would have some good videos for it? I don't remember what it was but it was how its made for kids
I would loooooove to find "how is made" for kids ..on the SCI channel they show "how it's made" but most documentaries I've seen, although I found them very interesting, they were way too complex for 2-3yr old
Tags:ideas - metal, ideas - plastic, ideas - wood, plastic, wood
Reply Up