Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview for New Baby
lovemykidstoo 03:14 PM 09-21-2014
This will only be my 2nd interview for a dck in 14 years that has not been a referral. This couple have a 6 week old baby girl that they need care for. Usually it's a little easier because it's a referral and I know something about the family. The woman asked me on the phone to tell me about my program. I'm a family licensed home for 6 children. I kinda found that hard to answer because it's an infant. Usually if it's an 18 month old or older, I tell about how we play outside, do crafts, sing, etc. How do you usually answer that question for such a small infant?
SignMeUp 03:59 PM 09-21-2014
...that their baby girl will be surrounded by the sounds of early language, the smells of home-cooking, the feeling of love from their one-to-one caregiver, as well as the children who anticipate her coming
Shell 05:32 PM 09-21-2014
Love pp's answer- such a nice way to put it. What. I usually do is show a copy of a typical preschool schedule and explain that infants are on their own schedules. I know some parents like to hear that, because they are unsure if their child will get adequate sleep with the schedule of the day including outside, crafts, etc. I let them know infants get plenty of belly time and floor time, are read to daily, and participate in any activity they are awake for- such as sitting in my lap while I read to the group, or playing on the floor in the mix while the older children are playing puzzles (with soft baby toys, of course). I let them know their child will participate more and more as they get older (finger painting, building with soft blocks, etc. I also let them know each child gets plenty of 1 on 1 attention, but that the big kids are great helpers, and help teach the little ones all sorts of wonderful things.
melilley 06:11 AM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Love pp's answer- such a nice way to put it. What. I usually do is show a copy of a typical preschool schedule and explain that infants are on their own schedules. I know some parents like to hear that, because they are unsure if their child will get adequate sleep with the schedule of the day including outside, crafts, etc. I let them know infants get plenty of belly time and floor time, are read to daily, and participate in any activity they are awake for- such as sitting in my lap while I read to the group, or playing on the floor in the mix while the older children are playing puzzles (with soft baby toys, of course). I let them know their child will participate more and more as they get older (finger painting, building with soft blocks, etc. I also let them know each child gets plenty of 1 on 1 attention, but that the big kids are great helpers, and help teach the little ones all sorts of wonderful things.
This is what I do.
Controlled Chaos 06:26 AM 09-22-2014
I love the answers above.

I also have a moby wrap I like to carry the newborns in - until about 4 or 5 months. I talk about how I treat them as my own. I hold them, snuggle them, love on them in addition to the feedings and changings etc. I talk abut how I went back to work after my 1st and she went to a center daycare at 6 weeks so I understand the challenges of being a working parent (outside the home) etc.
Reply Up