Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions To Ask A Pregnant Interview
DaisyMamma 03:31 AM 06-06-2012
I know that a lot of you do not even interview with a pregnant families. This family is expecting at the end of this month and looking to start care for Sept., which is right when I have an opening.
Aside from typical questions of hours and such, is there anything I can ask that would give me some indication as to what type of DCP they would be? Or anything else you can think of?
SilverSabre25 05:19 AM 06-06-2012
I would probably treat it like a regular interview. If they are first time parents then there is no telling what they will be like as dcps because they aren't even parents yet! Reality changes a lot when you have that baby home.

I would stick to standard interview stuff--that's probably your best way to judge.
daycare123 06:14 AM 06-06-2012
i would treat them like a regular interview also. I would ask them what their parenting beliefs are and make sure they understand and agree to your policys! First time parents can be over protective or really laid back. Good luck!! Maybe bring them back a week or so before start date to do a quick review of everything and meet the baby and ask how the baby does and such!
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 06-06-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would probably treat it like a regular interview.
I agree. What else can you really do when they really just don't know yet...

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
If they are first time parents then there is no telling what they will be like as dcps because they aren't even parents yet! Reality changes a lot when you have that baby home.
LOL!, I interviewed a family when they were about a month away from delivery. LOVED them!!!! Awesome people! We really clicked when it came to philosophies on raising kids and what their role was going to be and how they themselves were raised. Even took my advice and ended up going with a nanny for the first 12 months of their new baby's life (I told them I really didn't believe newborns belonged in daycare )

So yeah, they didn't end up signing on until after the baby turned one... but OMG! I cannot believe the difference in what they said they WERE going to do compared to how the ACTUALLY parent. Micro-managing, EXTREME helicopter parent.....

So yeah, just interview as you normally would and cross your fingers I guess.
DaisyMamma 07:28 AM 06-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree. What else can you really do when they really just don't know yet...

LOL!, I interviewed a family when they were about a month away from delivery. LOVED them!!!! Awesome people! We really clicked when it came to philosophies on raising kids and what their role was going to be and how they themselves were raised. Even took my advice and ended up going with a nanny for the first 12 months of their new baby's life (I told them I really didn't believe newborns belonged in daycare )

So yeah, they didn't end up signing on until after the baby turned one... but OMG! I cannot believe the difference in what they said they WERE going to do compared to how the ACTUALLY parent. Micro-managing, EXTREME helicopter parent.....

So yeah, just interview as you normally would and cross your fingers I guess.
oh gosh. I do not like helicopters! That's what worries, but it is true. Things are different when baby actually arrives!
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 06-06-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
oh gosh. I do not like helicopters! That's what worries, but it is true. Things are different when baby actually arrives!
The thing with first-time parents though is that they do often fall into the helicopter mode at first, partly because they are new to the parenting game and partly because there's a strong societal push from parenting websites and blogs to be a helicopter parent. If you're there though gently pushing the parents to loosen up and chill out, you could be a really good influence on them and their child's future. It's well-documented that helicopter parenting does NOT end up with good results long-term, but that doesn't stop people form doing it.
Reply Up