Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default USDA and Choking Hazards

I'm not on the food program, but was recently told I need training in usda/choking hazards. I am finding resources and information, but not an actual training. Does anyone have an idea where I can obtain this training? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,648
Default

Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
same here...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 PM
SignMeUp's Avatar
SignMeUp SignMeUp is online now
Family ChildCare Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: at home, of course
Posts: 1,322
Default

Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM
KiddieCahoots's Avatar
KiddieCahoots KiddieCahoots is offline
FCC Educator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,351
Default

I swear I did a calendar training on that with my food program.
You know.....how they have you complete 6hrs of their trainings that they send to you via mail?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 PM
SignMeUp's Avatar
SignMeUp SignMeUp is online now
Family ChildCare Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: at home, of course
Posts: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
I know, right? We will send them to school not knowing how to chew
And would you like some mashed cantaloupe? How about some chili with mashed kidney beans?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
I wonder if that is an added state of sponsor rule because it is not in our handbook
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 AM
KiddieCahoots's Avatar
KiddieCahoots KiddieCahoots is offline
FCC Educator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

Just an FYI for anyone that might need this info: the training is called, " serving adequate foods in Childcare" through the university of Mississippi. It's worth one hour of training.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
CraftyMom's Avatar
CraftyMom CraftyMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots View Post
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Me too
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
choking hazard, safety

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming