Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default USDA and Choking Hazards

I'm not on the food program, but was recently told I need training in usda/choking hazards. I am finding resources and information, but not an actual training. Does anyone have an idea where I can obtain this training? Thanks for any help!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
same here...
Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Family ChildCare Provider

Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM
FCC Educator

I swear I did a calendar training on that with my food program.
You know.....how they have you complete 6hrs of their trainings that they send to you via mail?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Family ChildCare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
I know, right? We will send them to school not knowing how to chew
And would you like some mashed cantaloupe? How about some chili with mashed kidney beans?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
I wonder if that is an added state of sponsor rule because it is not in our handbook
Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 AM
FCC Educator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

Just an FYI for anyone that might need this info: the training is called, " serving adequate foods in Childcare" through the university of Mississippi. It's worth one hour of training.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots View Post
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Me too

Tags
choking hazard, safety