Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part-timer
athomemommy 07:56 AM 11-03-2011
I have a part-timer and I am just getting started with my child care program. He comes different days every week. His mom is a nurse. So I can not fill another spot while still caring for him. Do I just stick it with through the school year or do you have any ideas on how to end care. Please help thanks
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 11-03-2011
I have two families who only need care for 3 days a week but the days vary.

I have a policy that states that they MUST pay for the entire week because they want access to the whole week. I understand that they work on a varying schedule, but I don't and since I cannot fill the space around them because their schedule is different every week, THEY need to be the ones to deal with that issue not me.
athomemommy 08:25 AM 11-03-2011
So I do I say that. To them. Do I put in writing or what.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 11-03-2011
Yep, put it in writting.

Mine says, "For parents who work a varying schedule but want access to the entire week, full time rates will apply."

If they want an explaination, you just tell them that is the only way to guarantee that you will always have space available to them when they need it. Since they do not work a set schedule, it is impossible for you to schedule around them.
Mandy_Jane 08:33 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
So I do I say that. To them. Do I put in writing or what.
Don't you have a contract or policies you have your dcps sign? I would add that in to the contract, have her sign it, and tell her what date the new changes go in to effect. EVERYTHING should be in writing when it comes to the rules of your daycare. Verbal contracts are hard to uphold in court. SIGNED, WRITTEN contracts are worth their weight in gold.
athomemommy 08:39 AM 11-03-2011
I am new to this and took them on as "babysitting". And now we are moving toward licensing. Just don't how to say it. I will put in my contract but don't have that yet.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 11-03-2011
I am new to this and took them on as "babysitting". And now we are moving toward licensing. Just don't how to say it. I will put in my contract but don't have that yet.
You're doing fine... It is a long process to know what needs to be in writing and what you can just do verbally. Sometimes we learn the hard way and sometimes, we learn from other people's mistakes.

I would however, take some time and read as many posts on here about what should and shouldn't be in writing and how to write a policy handbook. A lot of what you put in yours should be outlined by your state's licensing rules.

If you have other questions about writiing up a handbook and/or setting policies, just keep posting here and someone will help you out.

That is why we are all here.....support, advice and help.
athomemommy 09:04 AM 11-03-2011
So do I call her and say that since we are working on becoming licensed I have to put a contract in place and it says that part time kids need to pay in full for the whole week or something like. Just stick it to the contract. I just feel bad she picked me since our kids go to the same preschool. And I can bring him.

Some weeks she pays 20 others she pays 60 would like to be able to count on the money and it's hard for them to get in a routine. Don't think I will take pt again. It hard on my kids
athomemommy 09:16 AM 11-03-2011
Here is what I am thinking I will make up a contract and say it goes into effect the first of the year. That way it gives warning to what's up

What ya think
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 11-03-2011
I wouldn't necessarily call her, but I would set aside a time to talk with her and let her know that since you are working on becoming licensed, there will be some things that will now be required to be in writing. Yes! Putting a contract and new policies in place beginning the new year is a great way to start!

I would then write up a handbook or rules and policies stating your rules about attendance, payment and scheduling and then present it to her. Make a space or page where you can have her sign saying she agrees with what you two have worked out for fees and attendance.

That will become your contract.

For example, I would offer full time care (5 days of attendance) for a weekly rate of $155. For families who work a varied schedule and attend 3 days per week (which is my minimum for attendance) they have a rate of $125. That rate allows them access to the full week, gives me a bit of a break since they only come 3 days and ensures me of a set amount of income each week so I can budget accordingly.

In the future, it might be best for you to take only full timers but that is up to you. I personally allow only 2 of my 10 spaces be for part timers so that I can be somewhat flexible but not completley full every day of the week.

Be prepared that this mom may choose to leave your care if she doesn't like your rules but that is also pretty much par for the course in this line of work. You can't please everyone and can only do what works for you and your finances.
athomemommy 09:45 AM 11-29-2011
okay so I talked to her and she took some time to think about it. I told her I would need to raise my rates to 125 a week would need them to be full time. As we need to get new insurance to cover the daycare and it doubled what we normally pay. I told her we would cover it to the first of the year then it would go up. She just come back with she is upset that we just set this up three months ago and that she would be willing to pay 75 a week even if he came one day a week. My husband keeps going back and forth. He keeps thinking what if this was us and what we had planned and someone told us this. How we would feel. I think I should stick to it. Our bills are going to go up! Please let me know what you think? I need advice!
bice99 09:52 AM 11-29-2011
I watch a nurse's boys. She pays my weekly minimum - which is equal to 3 1/2 days - regardless of whether they are here 1, 2 or 3 days per week. Sometimes it gets tricky as she tries to make deals (like when she returned from maternity leave) but I tell her that elsewhere she would have to pay for the whole week. Oh, and I'm always closed on Wednesdays, so she cannot have that as a day.
cheerfuldom 09:54 AM 11-29-2011
This is a business. People change policies ALL the time. In my area, there are literally hundreds of daycare options. You cannot tailor your services to every family. For one thing, you will drive yourself crazy. For another, you will lose a lot of money doing that. Right now, your business is evolving and your services no longer meet the needs of this family. You NEED a contract, asap. The mom can then decide if she will change her schedule to fit what you provide or she can move onto another SAHM that babysits, shouldn't be too hard to find. I am sorry but your husband is wrong. This daycare is about you making money and running the business as you see fit. If he cares so much, he can start working at your daycare and see how it feels to get paid for 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5. If I did that, I would be losing $60 to $90 A WEEK! that totals up fast.
athomemommy 11:10 AM 11-29-2011
What kinds of things do I need in a contract? Vs Policy? I have neglected to do this as we are not licensed yet, does that matter? Have been in the process, will work extra hard on it now!
Unregistered 11:44 AM 11-29-2011
What kinds of things do I need in a contract? Vs Policy? I have neglected to do this as we are not licensed yet, does that matter? Have been in the process, will work extra hard on it now!

don't be wishy washy-be professional

read others contracts, policy-hand books, decide what will work best for you and then stick to it.

I wouldn't buckle for this women. I do feel a bit of a loyalty to my parents that helped start me out. Never explain your finances with your clients. It's not there business and it sets you up for windows of negotiations. Tell her your price, and then let her decide what she is going to have to do. Decide if your offering babysitting or childcare, there is a big difference!!! Good luck and welcome, tons of information here to help you along your way. Get your book of policy's done as soon as you can and plan to edit it over the next year as you learn what works for you.
Snowflakes 11:45 AM 11-29-2011
I think this woman is totally playing you. She has a preschooler, this issue with daycare for a sporadic schedule isn't news to her. What was she doing for care before she came to you? I bet she left her previous provider (who was charging her a fair rate for full weekly access) because she was getting care for a steal from you. On top of it, you are transporting her kid to and from preschool - that is a sweet deal for her, of course she is bummed to lose it. I would insist on the new contract starting January 1st. If you are pretty sure you will lose her and won't have a replacement, you might consider offering an intro rate for a month or two, but your services are worth the $125, and I'm sure she actually knows this. If you do give her some type of discount for Jan or Jan & Feb, make sure it's clearly spelled out that the ongoing rate is $125 and she is getting X# of weeks at a discount.

This is your business now, so remember that the parents don't set the rate or other terms. She isn't deciding if you can change your policies or determining the rate herself, she is deciding if she wants to continue care based on your new rate/policies. (an important distinction, IMO) She doesn't get to negotiate or counteroffer.
caring4kidsinSD 04:14 PM 11-29-2011
I have lots of nurse parents and do lots of rotating schedules. yes it is a pain sometimes but I love having them here. I love how some days I have less kids and some days have more. No 2 days are the same. And the parents know that if they don't get me their schedules on tme, I may be full so they tend to get the those on time as well
athomemommy 09:09 AM 12-15-2011
So I thought I would send ya an update. I made a contract up and gave it out. I wrote a letter that said we needed to meet and discuss it. She didn't set an appt. So I called and she FB me that she got a new babysitter. ( think that was the problem). I do have someone interested his spot.

Love it when things work out. I just kept it very professional and didn't explain why just this was how it was going to be. Thanks everyone for helping out. Love that we have each other!
Tags:part time care, part time to full time
Reply Up