Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Fee?
KSDC 12:33 PM 09-25-2013
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I need your opinions ASAP and don't have time to spend searching the archives.

I have an open spot for a pre-school age DCK in my home daycare. I haven't been actively trying to fill it. I am pretty happy with my current dynamics. But, I got a call last night asking if I have an opening.

The possible DCD is filing for divorce Friday. According to him, Mom has been drinking and sleeping around. He is wanting full custody. He wants to be able to tell the court that he has a daycare spot for his daughter.
Daughter won't be starting until after the court gets involved, and then only if Dad gets custody.

I know, messy.

Anyway, my dilemma is about what to charge him to hold this spot. I have never had to deal with holding fees before. I have a good reputation and our tiny town has a daycare shortage. And, my turnover is very small. Usually just when they age out to go to kindergarten.

I don't think that I have ever had to hold a spot for someone. As soon as dck#1 leaves, replacement starts the next day.

So, after that long story - what do you all charge to hold a spot? Do I charge him my full weekly fee? Do I charge him a smaller weekly fee?
Just a non-refundable deposit to hold the spot for a set period of time?

TIA!
Laurel 01:15 PM 09-25-2013
I only hold a spot for two weeks and don't charge anything to hold it.

Laurel
TwinKristi 01:28 PM 09-25-2013
Since you're not actively looking to fill the spot and like your dynamics I wouldn't charge to hold a spot but if he is serious about holding a spot I would. This is all "if this then that" kinda stuff so if "this" never happens then "that" never happens.
Personally I wouldn't take it very seriously. Unless this is a personal friend or something but even then, I wouldn't risk the messiness of getting involved until these things transpire.
Tags:holding spot - fee, spot held
Reply Up