Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
WBee's Avatar
WBee WBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 127
Wink Home Brought Food...Any Limits?

Good afternoon. Do any providers limit what types of food can be brought in from home? I have a 20 month old who can self feed and I've been transitioning from a highchair to table with other children however dcm brings food items which I sometimes cannot let her self feed with. Ex. Quinoa mixed with other items, gogurt (in a tube), etc. I have to keep dcg in a highchair with these as I have a designated kids table and cannot feed her easily there. Just wondering. Thx!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBee View Post
Good afternoon. Do any providers limit what types of food can be brought in from home? I have a 20 month old who can self feed and I've been transitioning from a highchair to table with other children however dcm brings food items which I sometimes cannot let her self feed with. Ex. Quinoa mixed with other items, gogurt (in a tube), etc. I have to keep dcg in a highchair with these as I have a designated kids table and cannot feed her easily there. Just wondering. Thx!
I don't allow any food from home to be brought into care. I provide all meals and snacks for all children.

At 20 months all my kiddos self feed. Including things like apple sauce and yogurt. I don't serve tubes or pouches of anything.

Are you on a food program or do all your family's provide food from home? If so, I would just communicate with DCM that she needs to send foods DCK can manage on her own until she becomes more skilled in self-feeding.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM
WBee's Avatar
WBee WBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't allow any food from home to be brought into care. I provide all meals and snacks for all children.

At 20 months all my kiddos self feed. Including things like apple sauce and yogurt. I don't serve tubes or pouches of anything.

Are you on a food program or do all your family's provide food from home? If so, I would just communicate with DCM that she needs to send foods DCK can manage on her own until she becomes more skilled in self-feeding.
No food program. Parents bring lunches. I supply snack. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

yup. At that age here she would be sitting at the kids size table with silverware and an open top cup. I would squeeze the tube yogurts into a bowl, give her a spoon. Same with quinoa. Is that just because of the mess? I hate cleaning up quinoa and rice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
yup. At that age here she would be sitting at the kids size table with silverware and an open top cup. I would squeeze the tube yogurts into a bowl, give her a spoon. Same with quinoa. Is that just because of the mess? I hate cleaning up quinoa and rice.

Especially when mixed with beans & corn... my older kids can self feed yogurt by 15-16 months & we use 3oz glasses at the table. You should have seen how messy the spaghetti was yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,050
Default

She should be able to self feed those things at 20 months...though I'd squirt the yogurt into a cup.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 AM
WBee's Avatar
WBee WBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 127
Default Home foods...thank you!

Thank you all. She can use a spoon but just ends up dumping the quinoa all over herself. Its too dry( not mixed with anything moist) and just sticks to her mouth....and everything else. Not a good self feeding food at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:14 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBee View Post
Thank you all. She can use a spoon but just ends up dumping the quinoa all over herself. Its too dry( not mixed with anything moist) and just sticks to her mouth....and everything else. Not a good self feeding food at all.
I have 18 month olds than can self feed rice & quinoa... it doesn't need to be wet enough, the child needs practice because it hasn't been taught to her
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM
laundrymom's Avatar
laundrymom laundrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,222
Default

This is a great idea. "Mom, Sally really has trouble w the quinoa self feeding. Perhaps a different item until she masters the concept better? She's not getting as much in as on and she's still hungry after meals. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't allow any food from home to be brought into care. I provide all meals and snacks for all children.

At 20 months all my kiddos self feed. Including things like apple sauce and yogurt. I don't serve tubes or pouches of anything.

Are you on a food program or do all your family's provide food from home? If so, I would just communicate with DCM that she needs to send foods DCK can manage on her own until she becomes more skilled in self-feeding.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,667
Default

I serve snack and filtered water only (never juice or milk). Parents provide lunches from home.

We are a peanut free environment and I also have language in my contract stating parents may be asked to omit other foods due to allergies should the need arise. I do send a couple links for sample lunch ideas and toddler size bento boxes which lead to better options.

Some changes I would make going forward:

- Parents currently provide a water bottle to be kept here, I wish I had them bring it back and fourth each day or that I just started off w/o the water bottles all together. (Initially I wanted water bottles to take the park with us each day)

- I would not allow the thick rice crackers - they are dreadfully messy and clog my vacuum, but I am not sure that justifies eliminating them. (I just don't plate them until the child has eaten everything else and still seems hungry so it often is returned home untouched)

I do check lunches for chocking hazards - sometimes parents do not know any better and I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food from home

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Tax Question Thriftylady Daycare and Taxes 4 01-13-2016 05:39 PM
California Landlord Issues daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 32 05-28-2014 09:23 PM
No Food From Home Policy... coolconfidentme Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 03-13-2014 10:35 AM
Food Programů YES or NO LeslieG Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 32 01-11-2014 10:45 PM
"No Outside Food" Policy in Texas yukomka Parents and Guardians Forum 11 10-14-2008 11:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming