Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bad Day
nikia 06:59 AM 01-06-2011
I hate this job today. I have a massive headache, no one is listening, everyone is putting toys in their mouths including the 3 year olds. My daughter is home with an allergic reaction from something but they cannot pinpoint it. I couldnt go to the ER with her and my hubby this morning because I already had a full house. The kids are climbing everywhere and I just cannot handle it today.

I have said out of your mouth and taken at least 30 toys already this morning, I have removed furniture they keep climbing on and everyone has had at least one time out.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I may just lose my mind today.
sahm2three 07:05 AM 01-06-2011
Your day sounds a lot like mine so far today! I just went and put the naughty 2 year old in a pnp and left the room so I don't have to deal with him for a couple mins. The babies are napping, and the 4+ year olds are squabbling today. There is a snarkiness in the air today. What the heck is going on?! Ugh! Hang in there!
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 01-06-2011
Maybe time to bundle up and head outside? Or take out the toys that get stored away and not played with much. Sometimes we take out every block I own (which is ALOT) and I dump them out and say "PLAY!!" No other choices, no other activities! Sort of a free for all. We all have days like that....so I feel for you....but your end of the road is coming isn't it?....didn't I read a thread earlier saying you are closing up shop? If so, then you have a light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there.... (((hugs))) in the mean time.
nikia 07:13 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Your day sounds a lot like mine so far today! I just went and put the naughty 2 year old in a pnp and left the room so I don't have to deal with him for a couple mins. The babies are napping, and the 4+ year olds are squabbling today. There is a snarkiness in the air today. What the heck is going on?! Ugh! Hang in there!
I feel for you if your day is like mine Hugs to you, we can do this right???

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe time to bundle up and head outside? Or take out the toys that get stored away and not played with much. Sometimes we take out every block I own (which is ALOT) and I dump them out and say "PLAY!!" No other choices, no other activities! Sort of a free for all. We all have days like that....so I feel for you....but your end of the road is coming isn't it?....didn't I read a thread earlier saying you are closing up shop? If so, then you have a light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there.... (((hugs))) in the mean time.
Well I was going to close and have decided to wait until June 1st and then take the summer off with my kids. May have been the dumbest thing I did. No I dont mean that its just today I feel that way.

I have decided to let them have free play. I would love to take them outside but for some reason the parents dont think they need gloves and hats. I live in Iowa for goodness sakes its cold I dont have enough extras either for everyone so for right now I am praying for hours to fly by so I can get to naptime
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:

Well I was going to close and have decided to wait until June 1st and then take the summer off with my kids. May have been the dumbest thing I did. No I dont mean that its just today I feel that way.

I have decided to let them have free play. I would love to take them outside but for some reason the parents dont think they need gloves and hats. I live in Iowa for goodness sakes its cold I dont have enough extras either for everyone so for right now I am praying for hours to fly by so I can get to naptime
I use a little trick that seems to work pretty well, I call parent at work and say "We are all ready to go outside but you must have over looked the fact that little Billy doesnt have a hat or gloves. Can you run a pair by so we can go out? I don't want to have to keep eveyone inside because of one child. thanks, I appreciate your quick response." Most times, they can't leave work but sometimes they have a grandma or friend do it and then they never forget again. Even if no one brings any, it is still a little embarrassing to the parent so it helps them remember the next time. I also do a "door check" during drop off in the A.M. No coat/hat/gloves/boots/snowpants etc NO STAY. Most my parents have either learned to remember or like some, they buy extra's to keep at daycare at all times so it is never an issue.
Free play today though sounds like the way to go!
SilverSabre25 07:25 AM 01-06-2011
omg sounds like my day both yesterday AND today. It's miserable. Different problems, but same outcome: a freaking BAD day. Yesterday i felt like I was doing nothing but screaming all day (which is NOT normal for me, at ALL). Today is just hellacious--toys everywhere, kids screaming, being rough, taking toys...
nikia 07:28 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
omg sounds like my day both yesterday AND today. It's miserable. Different problems, but same outcome: a freaking BAD day. Yesterday i felt like I was doing nothing but screaming all day (which is NOT normal for me, at ALL). Today is just hellacious--toys everywhere, kids screaming, being rough, taking toys...
Hugs to you too, must be something in the air for these kids. I normally have tons of patience and rarely use my mean mom voice but today thats about all I have used.
nikia 07:30 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use a little trick that seems to work pretty well, I call parent at work and say "We are all ready to go outside but you must have over looked the fact that little Billy doesnt have a hat or gloves. Can you run a pair by so we can go out? I don't want to have to keep eveyone inside because of one child. thanks, I appreciate your quick response." Most times, they can't leave work but sometimes they have a grandma or friend do it and then they never forget again. Even if no one brings any, it is still a little embarrassing to the parent so it helps them remember the next time. I also do a "door check" during drop off in the A.M. No coat/hat/gloves/boots/snowpants etc NO STAY. Most my parents have either learned to remember or like some, they buy extra's to keep at daycare at all times so it is never an issue.
Free play today though sounds like the way to go!
I like the idea of calling the parents at work, I think I will do that tomorrow if they do not have everything. Today I think I am going to supervise free play
momma2girls 07:40 AM 01-06-2011

Welcome fellow Iowan!!! There are days I feel this way also!!
Greenshadow 08:59 AM 01-06-2011
My day has been SO LOUD!! This new little boy that I have still wont let me leave his sight, literally! So everytime I have to, he screams bloody murder!!! I have a 3 month old in my care so everytime the 13 month old screams because Ive walked out of his sight, the baby screams out of empathy! OMG! Its been a Bayer kind of day for me, thats for sure! Im hoping that this little boy gets over this because its really really hard to listen to all morning long. Seriously. Oh and he's tired because he gets a morning nap at home and I cant give him one here. I give everyone one afternoon nap and its really hard to get him to naptime quietly! LOL!! I tried giving him an a.m nap but he wont take an afternoon nap when the others do so Ive decided to just give him the same one they get. Oy!! So I feel for you today. Can you hear him screaming from there?!?!?!
boysx5 09:01 AM 01-06-2011
sounds like my day I also have one of my sons who is home who is bouncing off the walls it is now naptime and everyone is trying to get off their nap mats and I just want to sit and chill
Unregistered 09:04 AM 01-06-2011
This day is beyond bad! I would say that I wanted to start over and try again today, but heck, I'm a little over half way through the day. I can keep it up for a few more hours! Good luck everyone!
tenderhearts 09:28 AM 01-06-2011
Hope your day gets better. When that happens here,they are warned it will be quiet time/book time, if it doesn't stop everyone gets placed in different places around the room, far from each other with a stack of books,they can choose to just sit there quietly, they have to look at their books quietly for 15 min. they are then reminded if they get up they need to follow directions or it will be longer, it usually works for me..Once I had to repeat it a second time for 20 min and it didn't happen again....that day, but thank goodness I don't have to do that often.Good luck I hate days like that.
Missani 12:02 PM 01-06-2011
Blech! My kids have been like this all week! I know to expect some craziness after the holidays, but most of them were here all except Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve when I was closed. I did have 2 out for over a week, but you'd think none of them have ever been to daycare before! They are wild and running, not listening, acting like they don't know how to pick up, forgetting how to nap at naptime, etc. Worst of all, they are all fighting with each other. I have wonderful kids and they have NEVER fought before and now I've had 4 straight days of it. They are acting like they've completely forgotton the routine! And, I agree, what is with the putting things in the mouth??? Okay, I have a 7 month old, a 16 month old, and a 20 month old so okay, fine. But I also have a 2 1/2 year old and two 4 year olds that NEVER put stuff in their mouth! I think I have sanitized darn near every toy this week after removing it from someone's little chompers. And, one more thing, the 2.5 year old has been drinking from a regular cup since she started here in October and has never spilled. This week she "spills" at LEAST once each meal/snack...usually twice. I swear she is just pouring it on the floor when I'm not looking (which she would do...she's sneaky!). I don't mind cleaning up spills, but it's really starting to irritate me...

I understand COMPLETELY!
SilverSabre25 12:33 PM 01-06-2011
Yeah, from my post earlier in this thread and then the two threads I've made today, everyone can tell what kind of a day mine is!! And it just keeps getting worse.
nikia 12:35 PM 01-06-2011
Yeah, from my post earlier in this thread and then the two threads I've made today, everyone can tell what kind of a day mine is!! And it just keeps getting worse.
I'm sorry. Its almost over.
SilverSabre25 12:50 PM 01-06-2011
I'm sorry. Its almost over.
Thanks. It wasn't all bad though. We had our ultrasound today!!!
nikia 12:51 PM 01-06-2011
That is exciting, one of my favorite parts of being pregnant. Did you get to find out what your having?
SilverSabre25 12:56 PM 01-06-2011
That is exciting, one of my favorite parts of being pregnant. Did you get to find out what your having?
See the positive thread.
MarinaVanessa 01:02 PM 01-06-2011
Yay! How exciting!

As for the kids not behaving, maybe they're tired of being cooped up and agree that maybe they could use some outside time. If it's too cold then I like to do indoor movement activities like singing song like the hokey pokey, she'll be coming around the mountain silly version (coming around the mountain, driving in a hot rod, wearing her pink pajamas, eat chocolate pizza), and walking we will go etc. I let them get really loud during these songs and end it by sitting in a circle and doing quiet songs like the ones on Greg & Steves CD's.

It seems to work out for me.
momma2girls 02:12 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
My day has been SO LOUD!! This new little boy that I have still wont let me leave his sight, literally! So everytime I have to, he screams bloody murder!!! I have a 3 month old in my care so everytime the 13 month old screams because Ive walked out of his sight, the baby screams out of empathy! OMG! Its been a Bayer kind of day for me, thats for sure! Im hoping that this little boy gets over this because its really really hard to listen to all morning long. Seriously. Oh and he's tired because he gets a morning nap at home and I cant give him one here. I give everyone one afternoon nap and its really hard to get him to naptime quietly! LOL!! I tried giving him an a.m nap but he wont take an afternoon nap when the others do so Ive decided to just give him the same one they get. Oy!! So I feel for you today. Can you hear him screaming from there?!?!?!
I think I have heard him today.lol!! I have the same thing here! My 8 month old, came back from Xmas break, awful!!! I can't even begin to get up, from where I am at, lay him down or anything, without him screaming!! I have tried to let him scream, and scream, to see if he stops he doesn't!!! UGH!!!! Can you all hear my screamer today????
lvt77 02:15 PM 01-07-2011
maybe there is gonna be a full moon tonight... my kids were nuts today too. a lot of hitting and name calling....just bouncing off the walls
Tags:bad day, overwhelmed
Reply Up