Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fussy Eaters vs Picky Eaters
Bookworm 06:28 PM 08-27-2012
I had a discussion with several co-workers today about this subject. We couldn't figure out the difference. My explanation is:

Picky eaters-kids who will only eat certain things. Will never try anything new or different.

Fussy eaters-kids who don't like their food to touch. They have to have food cooked a certain way or they won't eat. Can't have condiments touching any food on their plate.

Is this the proper definition. If so, how do kids get to be this way barring any sensory/medical issues.
countrymom 07:16 PM 08-27-2012
fussy eaters are kids who eat most things but sometimes him and hah about food.

my def. of the new picky eating---picky eating is kids who don't want to eat anything but junk and fast food. Yup, the old def. use to be, kids wouldn't eat certain foods, but now heck kids don't eat anything except junk.
crazydaycarelady 08:07 AM 08-28-2012
I always wondered how kids became picky also. Like if they won't eat the crust their parents had to accomodate that or they would not be asking me to cut it off (which I never do.)

When I have a kid like this I refer back to what the food program says: It's my job to offer the food, it's the child's job to eat it. But it is annoying when the parents show up and the child complains they are hungry because I didn't serve chicken nuggets or PB&J that day so they wouldn't eat.
countrymom 09:41 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I always wondered how kids became picky also. Like if they won't eat the crust their parents had to accomodate that or they would not be asking me to cut it off (which I never do.)

When I have a kid like this I refer back to what the food program says: It's my job to offer the food, it's the child's job to eat it. But it is annoying when the parents show up and the child complains they are hungry because I didn't serve chicken nuggets or PB&J that day so they wouldn't eat.
I wondered about this too, they are becoming younger and younger with this pickiness. I can't believe how children are being catered too.
countrymom 09:49 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:

I wondered about this too, they are becoming younger and younger with this pickiness. I can't believe how children are being catered too.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:

Fussy eaters-kids who don't like their food to touch. They have to have food cooked a certain way or they won't eat. Can't have condiments touching any food on their plate.
Is this the proper definition. If so, how do kids get to be this way barring any sensory/medical issues.
I am what you would define as a Fussy eater.

My food canNOT touch and I eat things in a certain order. I have zero clue as to why I eat this way....just always have. My mom claims it is because she fed me one food at a time rather than mix anything but she is only guessing.

As an adult, I have tried letting my food touch and ....um,, nope....can't do it. I have also tried eating a little bite of this and then a little bite of that and that doesn't work well either. I revert right back to one thing at a time.

I am NOT a picky eater as I generally like pretty much everything but I do have these weird little quirks....and no idea why.
Lilbutterflie 10:05 AM 08-28-2012
I really think that every baby gets to an age where they figure out what they LOVE- what they like- and what they don't like. In my experience, right about 18 months they have that all figured out. And, at this age, they have the potential to learn that if they see a food they don't LOVE, and leave it alone; the adult magically takes it away and offers what they LOVE!! Oh, how wonderful!! I get to eat all I want to of all the foods I LOVE! So, the next time another food is offered that they don't love, they will refuse it because they've been taught that if they leave it alone, something they love will be offered in it's place.

That is what creates a majority of picky eaters, IMHO.

It drives me absolutely bonkers. Out of 3 daycare children in my care, 2 are CRAZY picky eaters. It is a real struggle to plan my menu because I really do want them to eat and be happy with their meals & snacks, but it just is NOT possible every day. There are days when one or both of them eat absolutely nothing at all except perhaps a snack. I don't make a big deal out of it, if they eat it- GREAT! If they don't, they go hungry. It just makes me sad & frustrated.
momofsix 10:17 AM 08-28-2012
I can't stand for my food to touch either! Baked bean juice running into my veggies...no way! I use a lot of small bowls for "juicy" foods to keep it contained
I used to blame the parents for the kids pickiness until this summer. I had a 2 yo dcb that eats absolutely everything and I got his brother for the summer. I was so excited because I knew he came from a "good eating" family. Boy, was I ever disappointed. He was so polite that he would never complain about anything, he just wouldn't eat! I asked his mom about it and she was just as frustrated. They serve a huge variety of foods but he only eats a few different things. She is hoping he grows out of it but says he has been like that since starting solids. We both serve what we serve, and he often just sits and looks at it. In this case I really can't blame the parents!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I can't stand for my food to touch either! Baked bean juice running into my veggies...no way! I use a lot of small bowls for "juicy" foods to keep it contained I used to blame the parents for the kids pickiness until this summer. I had a 2 yo dcb that eats absolutely everything and I got his brother for the summer. I was so excited because I knew he came from a "good eating" family. Boy, was I ever disappointed. He was so polite that he would never complain about anything, he just wouldn't eat! I asked his mom about it and she was just as frustrated. They serve a huge variety of foods but he only eats a few different things. She is hoping he grows out of it but says he has been like that since starting solids. We both serve what we serve, and he often just sits and looks at it. In this case I really can't blame the parents!
me too!

My DH makes fun of me all the time for it....
jojosmommy 12:31 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I think its this. My pickiest dck wil go the whole day without eating, mom lets her pick what she eats for dinner, and she regularly misses daycare becuase she throws up at night. I think its from not eating for 10 or 12 hours and then eatig cereal and whipped cream for dinner. Duh!
Bookworm 05:09 PM 08-28-2012
I watched a couple of babies being fed today. I asked to infant room ladies for their opinion and they said they think it happens because if a baby shows one hint of displeasure at any particular solid food, the parent won't give it to the again so they never get a chance to get to like it.

I'm a fussy eater. While I don't care if my food touches, I usually mix it together anyway, I am particular about HOW it's fixed. They really hate me at Burger King.
countrymom 06:42 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I can't stand for my food to touch either! Baked bean juice running into my veggies...no way! I use a lot of small bowls for "juicy" foods to keep it contained
I used to blame the parents for the kids pickiness until this summer. I had a 2 yo dcb that eats absolutely everything and I got his brother for the summer. I was so excited because I knew he came from a "good eating" family. Boy, was I ever disappointed. He was so polite that he would never complain about anything, he just wouldn't eat! I asked his mom about it and she was just as frustrated. They serve a huge variety of foods but he only eats a few different things. She is hoping he grows out of it but says he has been like that since starting solids. We both serve what we serve, and he often just sits and looks at it. In this case I really can't blame the parents!
omg, my odd is like this too, I bought divider plates to help her (oh she's 14 yrs old ) I also can't stand food touching each other, I want to enjoy the food and how it tastes, not it all lumpy an mushy together. dh says that it all goes to one place so who cares, ewww gross!
Heidi 07:28 PM 08-28-2012
My oldest son was notorious for being picky. It started when he was 14 months old, and the vegies hit the floor instead of his mouth.

I blame SOME of it on the constant attention he got for it. "What, G isn't EATING?"....."Oh, don't you like....?" commentary commentary commentary. I remember letting him have ketchup on his brocoli when he was 2, and my sister making a big deal out of it. "How can you let him have ketchup. He doesn't NEED that" ME: "well, if he'll eat brocoli because it has ketchup on it, than let him have ketchup" (of course, he's hearing this, and that was probably the last time he ate brocoli.)

Another issue for him was definately textures.

As an adult (he's 22), he can articulate things. So, we've talked about what bother him. Textures are an issue for sure. Also, the constant commentary has stopped, because for the most part people have more respect for an adult than for a child.

He iis also old enough now where he can push himself. In the last year or two he's really branched out, and he enjoys trying new foods and cooking. I've been teasing him about becomming a chef because he notices subtleties that most of us don't in food.

I myself grew up on German food, and there were a lot of "American" foods I never tried until I was an adult, like Mac and Cheese. I was at least 25 before I ever tried shrimp, but ate trout regularly as a child. I would have considered myself a picky eater until my mid to late 20's. Now, the only thing I won't eat is bugs..
Bookworm 07:28 PM 08-28-2012
I can understand that. Me personally, I like the combination of sweet/savory. What we ( hubby and me) find interesting is that my dd has even exposed to just about every food on Earth but at 20yrs old, she will only eat veggies and some meats. She will not touch any fruit. She would live of off ramen noodles, frozen veggies and chicken nuggets and liver and onions.
E Daycare 05:08 AM 08-30-2012
Would you guys consider this a medical thing then?

One dck, been with me almost TWO years. Kid eats NOTHING but sweet stuff from me. If there is a doughnut he'll be first at it, cookies too. I'm serious guys. Yesterday as a back to school treat I had doughnuts as an option for breakfast. Bananas, sausage too. Kid pounded doughnuts. Snack he eyed the Oreos on the snack shelf but knows they are a special treat. Offered a whole shelf of snacks (include raisins, peanut butter and pretzels, rice cakes) along with option of yogurt, hummus or cheese. He took NOTHING. lunch was home made wheat tortilla pizza. All the kids love this. Not this kid. He eyeballed the dessert and would make reason to "accidently" graze it. Afternoon snack nothing too as the only options were the same as the am snack (I run snack as self serve in hopes it would get the kids to try more things).

This is where medical issues come in. He shutters and gags at foods. Turkey dogs? Gagged and cringed. Watermelon? Cringed when he took a bite. Cookies, cakes, doughnuts? Those go down without a problem.

I wonder if it's sensory BUT this child has come in with a bottle full of choco milk (he's 3) more than a few times and I witnessed at his bday his mom feed him his cake. He first leaned over to eat it off the plate with just his mouth till she came over and fed it to him. I asked the parents what he eats and two things. Dad is concerned he just eats noodles and that's it. Mom doesn't seem too concerned and feeds him his vitamins when he's dropped off.

I'm at a loss. It's been two years of this. I've tried making junk food here or picking up special occasion Wendy's for lunches but NOTHING.

He's an every day kid and I love him to death (I consider him my second son) and I just want him to eat more than crap and not nothing.

I try the "I offer and if they don't eat so be it" thought but at the end of the day when he's been here 10.5 hrs (he's here all day everyday) and all he ate was a doughnut for breakfast the mom in me can't help but worry.
Bookworm 02:55 PM 08-30-2012
It does seem like a sensory issue. It also seems like he never learned to feed himself. Do you know if he's even had those foods before? Maybe they feed him junk just to get him to eat something.
E Daycare 06:56 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
It does seem like a sensory issue. It also seems like he never learned to feed himself. Do you know if he's even had those foods before? Maybe they feed him junk just to get him to eat something.
I'm pretty sure it's junk a lot as mom has said "we'll get French fries tonight as its better than no calories at one point". I've stopped trying to rescue the kid and realized its not my problem but I can't help feel bad. 10.5 hrs is a looong time to go on just doughnuts. He's not a "if he's hungry he'll eat" kid. I got happy meals today as a splurge after a field trip. First time in two years he ate an entire lunch. FIRST TIME.

I was blown away and then was like ahhhhhhhh now I get it.
Reply Up