Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Juggle PT Time Hours
SimpleMom 11:56 AM 08-11-2011
I am wanting to work in pt care again. Mostly because I think it's great for parent's to spend as much time as possible with their child and also becasue the need is great here. Rarely do I get calls for hours that exceed 30 hours a week.
So, my question is how do I juggle THAT. I was thinking of offering two openings for one slots (ie. a two and three day option) 4 and 5 days would be more.

Any ideas? I'm wondering how hard it will be to fill the other portion of the week. Last time I did this, I did it by hours not days and that was very hard to fill in the gaps and it's why I switched to only ft.
MNMum 01:18 PM 08-11-2011
Don't know if I am the best one to answer this as I am so new to this. I am only open Monday-Thursday. I advertise as having 3 or 4 day options. I have already gotten interest for 2 days a week (infant). What I told the parents at the interview is that they would have to pay for 3 days of care. Either they can keep that third day as a back up option or I can continue to advertise the other two days. If I find someone to fill at least one of the two days, I would drop their fee to the drop in rate for as long as that other child is in care (I'll have to talk to my lawyer friend about how to word the contract). The parents were totally fine with that and said they expected I would say they had to pay for three days. In my area there is a huge need for infant spots, so I'm assuming their only other option is a center at the tune of nearly $200/wk for 2 days...
cheerfuldom 01:26 PM 08-11-2011
I work with part timers but only if they are willing to pay the full day and are clear on what days they need. I don't work with families that want a full time slot, extreme flexibility but want to pay by the hour.
daycare 01:43 PM 08-11-2011
I only offer two part time schedules... Either monday, wed, friday or tuesday and thursday. This way together it makes up a full time spot. I don't allow for any other days than these.. they are also full days...if they want to attend part of the day, they pay full price...
mom2many 02:18 PM 08-11-2011
I have a lot of p/t families. It always seems to work out for me. I have some who come 2 days and others that come 3 days. Many times parents will call asking what days I have open and arrange their work days accordingly.

I love having a variety of different dcks each day and it changes the dynamics. My spots are always full and I very seldom have openings.
e.j. 04:56 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I have a lot of p/t families. It always seems to work out for me. I have some who come 2 days and others that come 3 days. Many times parents will call asking what days I have open and arrange their work days accordingly.

I love having a variety of different dcks each day and it changes the dynamics. My spots are always full and I very seldom have openings.
Same here. I don't usually have too much trouble staying full. Any open time slots are used for drop-ins or extra hours for kids who are already enrolled. I've been doing it this way for going on 16 years and it's worked well for me.
SimpleMom 06:34 PM 08-11-2011
Okay, I think I am going to do the pt thing again. I will just wait until I get some more calls and adjust accordingly. Probably t/th and M,w, f.schedules. Maybe t,th,f and M, w as well. We'll see. Is one better than the other or is it more or less where the need falls into play?
I agree, I will only do full days. Used to do half days and that was very, very difficult on soooo many levels.

The going rate for ft is $2.80/hr here. How would I adjust the rate to reflect pt? I know it's more hrly than ft, but I'm thinking maybe charging 3 dollars an hour for pt? Maybe even 3.15 Does that sound fair or am I ripping myself off?
littlemommy 06:33 AM 08-12-2011
I have one pt family that comes 4 am to 2 pm, from 2 to 4 days a week. I charge them a flat fee for 0-30 hours, and hourly if there are any extra hours after that. It worked out well this week. I only had them 2 days but got paid for 3. It's nice to have a lighter load on the days they aren't here.e

Another part time boy I watch is here Tuesday thru Friday, 10-4. Its also nice to get a break from him on Mondays. I kinda think that since he comes mid-morning, it makes the day go a little faster.
wdmmom 07:41 AM 08-12-2011
I offer 2 options for part time care:

2 full days a week minimum (Monday through Thursday only)
or
5 hours or less in the morning or afternoon each day.

16 hours per week minimum and 25 maximum

I charge a minimum of $100 a week for part time care.
Tags:part time, part time care, part time family
Reply Up