Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having My Own Baby Puts Me Over My Ratio...
LeslieG 11:25 AM 05-23-2014
DH and I are wanting to start a family this year but it could possibly put me over my limit of children under the age of 2 (if we get pregnant sooner rather than later). I would only be over for probably 1-2 weeks. What do I do??

My husband will be on leave from work to help me out once the baby is here. By having him here, would it makes things okay?

Thank you!
Second Home 11:32 AM 05-23-2014
If it would onlybe for 1 or 2 weeks just take that time off as your maternity leave .
TheGoodLife 11:33 AM 05-23-2014
How are you figuring the 1-2 weeks? unless you're pregnant now, you could get pregnant 1 cycle or more later and not worry about it, if it is that close already. As far as your husband counting, if you're licensed you would need to contact your licensor for information- everything can vary from state to state. I'm license exempt, but I can't even have my husband home with our niece for a day and have it legal- although I wouldn't be providing care or charging $ (I asked about a playdate before)- it would be illegal. Good luck TTC!
sahm1225 11:33 AM 05-23-2014
Agree w pp. close for your maternity leave, someone might leave your group, you might make someone leave your group. Etc.

In our state we are allowed a variance if we ask for it on advance and have a way to get us back into ratios within a timeframe (I think it's 60 days? But not sure).

I wouldn't put off starting a family for that reason. So much can change in 9 months
craftymissbeth 11:46 AM 05-23-2014
I'm also interested in how you figure you'll only be over for 1-2 weeks. When you do deliver, you'll just have to decide if you want to close for whatever amount of time you'll be over ratio or downsize so you're not over.
LeslieG 11:55 AM 05-23-2014
I've been overly planning this for a while now.. just ask my husband

Anyways, he's a teacher and we would like the baby to arrive next spring so he can take the rest of the school year off. The earliest that we'd have a baby would be about mid-April, and if that were the case, I would be over my ratio for 1-2 weeks even after taking my 2 week maternity leave.

But anyways, maybe I should stop trying to be such a planner (especially since I don't know how many cycles it will take to get pregnant) and just go with the flow!!
preschoolteacher 11:56 AM 05-23-2014
It's so easy to plan, but babies cannot be planned! Even if you do get pregnant exactly when you plan to (which is unlikely for most people!), babies come when they want... just ask my son, who was 16 days late.
melilley 11:57 AM 05-23-2014
Here, we have to count our children under 7, but if my dh is home, I don't have to count my ds in my ratio. Or if I were to hire someone, I don't have to count him either since he is related to me. But if I'm here by myself I have to count him in.

But like pp's have said, you can plan all you want, but babies don't always come or aren't always conceived when planned. My dd was 6 days early and my ds 8 days early.
craftymissbeth 11:58 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
It's so easy to plan, but babies cannot be planned! Even if you do get pregnant exactly when you plan to (which is unlikely for most people!), babies come when they want... just ask my son, who was 16 days late.
or mine who was 6 weeks early

But goodness, 16 days late wowwee
LeslieG 12:00 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Here, we have to count our children under 7, but if my dh is home, I don't have to count my ds in my ratio. Or if I were to hire someone, I don't have to count him either since he is related to me. But if I'm here by myself I have to count him in.

I would check with your licensor, but I don't see why you would have to count your child if your dh is there.
Good to know! Thank you!!
drseuss 12:03 PM 05-23-2014
You're overthinking it, girl. If you don't relax you might not even get pregnant.

(I am joking with you).
Crazy8 12:05 PM 05-23-2014
so true!! definitely do not worry about all the what if's right now! You never know how your daycare group can change a month from now much less 9+ months from now.

It would all depend on your regulations, but if your DH can be listed as an asst and that can allow for the extra child then you'd be fine. But seriously, do not worry about it right now. Babies can come early/late, it can take 1 cycle or 15 cycles to get pregnant. Just have fun trying.
LeslieG 12:05 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
You're overthinking it, girl. If you don't relax you might not even get pregnant.

(I am joking with you).
I KNOW!! I need to calm down
melilley 12:06 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I've been overly planning this for a while now.. just ask my husband

Anyways, he's a teacher and we would like the baby to arrive next spring so he can take the rest of the school year off. The earliest that we'd have a baby would be about mid-April, and if that were the case, I would be over my ratio for 1-2 weeks even after taking my 2 week maternity leave.

But anyways, maybe I should stop trying to be such a planner (especially since I don't know how many cycles it will take to get pregnant) and just go with the flow!!
I think it's ok to plan, just don't get too set on one certain time period/month to get pregnant.
We planned our ds and got pregnant within two months so it can happen!
melilley 12:08 PM 05-23-2014
I KNOW!! I need to calm down
It's hard to be calm when you're planning something so exciting!
I loved, loved, loved being pregnant!
preschoolteacher 12:20 PM 05-23-2014
I loved being pregnant, too. Even for 16 extra days!! Ha!

I can't wait to get pregnant again And like the OP, I have my fingers crossed that I get pregnant exactly when I want to...
melilley 12:24 PM 05-23-2014
I loved being pregnant, too. Even for 16 extra days!! Ha!

I can't wait to get pregnant again And like the OP, I have my fingers crossed that I get pregnant exactly when I want to...
Those 16 days wouldn't have bothered me either, well except for my feet..lol
I have pretty good luck getting pregnant within a couple of months. Before we had ds, we were pregnant and planned it and it only took a couple of months ( I ended up having a miscarriage).
cheerfuldom 12:26 PM 05-23-2014
just do what is right for your family and figure the rest out later. If you have to take a longer "maternity leave" from one family in order to make the numbers work then so be it. Or that timing might be just right with another family leaving or someone that would rather have a month of unpaid daycare and then come back later....there is a million ways this might work out. You cannot plan a baby down to the week so why even try. Just make that baby and work out the daycare details later
CraftyMom 12:33 PM 05-23-2014
Is this your first baby? Firsts often arrive late.

Just go with the flow, take more time off if you need to.

Here I can only have 6 kids on the premises at any given time, regardless of an assistant. Even if my husband is here with our own kids I can only have a total of 6. Your state may be different though.

Good luck with the "trying"
TwinKristi 12:36 PM 05-23-2014
Maybe wait a cycle and try for May... Then you won't be over your numbers and closer to Summer break with dh?
Babies are hard to plan for. Even the best plans can get messed up! Mine have come anywhere from 6wks early to 3 days late. Luckily I was induced with my last babies so I knew when they'd be born except my 5th was a "go now and meet me at the hospital" at my 37wk drs appt. Ghe others were planned and well executed! LOL
Mom of 4 01:18 PM 05-23-2014
DH and I are wanting to start a family this year but it could possibly put me over my limit of children under the age of 2 (if we get pregnant sooner rather than later). I would only be over for probably 1-2 weeks. What do I do??

My husband will be on leave from work to help me out once the baby is here. By having him here, would it makes things okay?

Thank you!
I requested an exception to have an extra under 2 when I got pregnant...with TWINS. It was granted until my twins were 2, then I went back to my 2 under 2 ratio again.
itlw8 05:02 PM 05-23-2014
and for the record 2 weeks is not long enough maternity leave
SilverSabre25 06:18 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
and for the record 2 weeks is not long enough maternity leave
Mine was one.

Well kind of. I closed for one, DH was home for two and did the daycare the second week while I transitioned back into daycare. I was fine.

BUT it was my second baby, uncomplicated, unmedicated vaginal birth. (it was mostly a Hypnobabies birth actually)
LeslieG 04:17 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Mine was one.

Well kind of. I closed for one, DH was home for two and did the daycare the second week while I transitioned back into daycare. I was fine.

BUT it was my second baby, uncomplicated, unmedicated vaginal birth. (it was mostly a Hypnobabies birth actually)
Really?! I'm actually looking into using hypnobabies too!!.. and going to a birth center.
saved4always 12:33 PM 05-26-2014
Definitely too early to plan. Just relax and figure it out once you actually get pregnant and are nearing delivery time. It is impossible to even plan what daycare kids you will actually have in 9 months. I found my whole group could change in less time than that.
Annalee 05:36 PM 05-26-2014
Originally Posted by saved4always:
Definitely too early to plan. Just relax and figure it out once you actually get pregnant and are nearing delivery time. It is impossible to even plan what daycare kids you will actually have in 9 months. I found my whole group could change in less time than that.
True statement! I find myself doing interviews this week for 3 spots opening June 2nd.....these notices come out of nowhere......very unexpected....You just never know!
Starburst 08:09 PM 05-27-2014
It depends on your license type, in most states even with an extra adult you cannot go over your ratio unless you have a large license that would allow you to take more kids (especially when it comes to infants).

if you are planning it (as in it hasn't happened yet) and you think you will be over ratio for only a week or two, why not wait until next month to start trying? Plus, it may even take a few months to actually get pregnant anyway ("accidental pregnancies" make it look so easy).
Chellieleanne 09:49 AM 05-28-2014
I can't comment on ratio issues but for me, I conceived my first month of trying with all my kids though our third was unexpected. We wanted another but not quite yet, too much fun on our Christmas vacation

My first was 5 days late, my second came on his due date. My third, well we find out in September!

However have fun trying and remember you have 9 months to plan your daycare and ratio issues when you do find you have a little bean growing
Margarete 10:07 AM 05-28-2014
My husband is a teacher too, and we had hoped that our little boy would be born during his (and my) winter break. When did he decide to show, literally 2 hours before we were both supposed to start working again. Technically he was during our scheduled break, but that's not what we meant.

It's fun to plan, but baby's don't always agree with that plan. You could get pregnant right away and have the baby much earlier, or it could take a long time to get pregnant. I wouldn't wait until it appears everything is lined up perfectly, as that's when things will change anyway.
wonderfullisa 11:59 AM 05-28-2014
In a lighthearted way, not a debbie downer, we've been in the 'not preventing' mode since our almost 4 yo was born.
It's definitely a little early to worry about 1-2 weeks.
I hope you have a smooth, uneventful pregnancy and birth.
Our second was at home in my bed. She came quickly enough that my husband caught her, because the midwife didn't make it in time.
Reply Up