Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kitchen Gadgets, Aides, & Tools
Max 01:05 PM 12-15-2016
What slicers, dicers, cutters, and other kitchen aides make meal time or prep much easier?

I would normally hate acquiring a bunch of gadgets but I want to do a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, so I'm open to the idea of anything that can save time!
jenboo 01:09 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
What slicers, dicers, cutters, and other kitchen aides make meal time or prep much easier?

I would normally hate acquiring a bunch of gadgets but I want to do a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, so I'm open to the idea of anything that can save time!
My husband
He is a chef and now works with me. He can chop, dice and slice so quickly!
Baby Beluga 01:20 PM 12-15-2016

I buy fresh fruits and veggies on the weekend and will wash, peel, cut, dice, etc on the weekend so it is ready for the week. For example each week in my fridge I have:

washed and thinly sliced celery, carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

Washed and cut grapes, pineapple, melon, etc

And I wash and prep salad that I keep in the fridge.

Everything else is kept whole and I wash and prep on an as needed basis. Apples, pears, peaches, berries, etc don't take long to wash and slice.

As far as gadgets go - I have a set of ceramic knives I love. They cut well - almost too well! I've cut myself quite a few times using them

ETA: I also keep cooked shredded or diced chicken in the fridge, hard boiled eggs and I cube and shred cheese to keep in the fridge (I don't like the pre shredded stuff). It makes pulling together a last minute lunch or snack easy.
Leigh 01:24 PM 12-15-2016
A good, big pizza cutter and kitchen scissors are necessities! I can cut so much with those two things! I do find that I use my potato masher a lot, too, but mostly for meat. I'll cook 6 or 7 roasts at a time, then put them in a bowl while hot and mash them instead of picking them apart after cooling-so much faster, and it separates the chunks of fat better, too. Other than that, a good chef's knife.
Unregistered 01:37 PM 12-15-2016
I think you just have to get used to the best ways to cut everything. For example pineapple: i cut off the top and the bottom, then cut the peel off in strips going downward, then lay it on its side and slice, then cut pieces off around each ring away from the core... I didnt know an efficient way to do this at all my first year teaching. Now, I just bang them out. Same with a lot of recipies. I don't really use gadgets, just using efficient methods and having some practice at those makes it go faster. I like having a few trays for cutting and gathering supplies and serving. That really is the one thing: good plastic trays. I got mine at smart and final and i use them constantly. I have "Art" trays others for food projects (mine and the kids'). I don't allow painting or playdoh or anything like that on my food trays. We will make guacamole or the kids cut fruit or whatever on the food trays.
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 12-15-2016
I gotta go with husband too. Mine is a woodworker and not a chef but still....

He cuts, dices, chops and julienne's like no one's business.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:10 PM 12-15-2016
Besides my old school grayer, i just use a great chef's knife. I love chopping food...it's so therapeutic, imo. I have a food processor too, but only use it for grating large amounts of cheese and cauliflower (for cauli rice).
DaveA 03:30 PM 12-15-2016
Good variety (not a set- but what you like/ need) of kitchen knives, pizza cutter, box grater, microplane, and a good solid peeler. If you're doing a lot of veggies a rice cooker with a steamer basket is handy.
DaveA 03:45 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I gotta go with husband too. Mine is a woodworker and not a chef but still....

He cuts, dices, chops and julienne's like no one's business.
So THAT'S why DW keeps me around!!!!
Blackcat31 04:40 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
So THAT'S why DW keeps me around!!!!
See? Hang around here (predominantly women) long enough and you start to get it!
DaveA 06:36 PM 12-15-2016
See? Hang around here (predominantly women) long enough and you start to get it!
Yep- another 500 years or so and I'll understand how y'all think.
midaycare 07:21 PM 12-15-2016
Mandolin slicer. I have some joint pain now and again, and this thing slices and dices as thick or thin as I want.
ColorfulSunburst 07:50 PM 12-15-2016

an assistant whose main job is cooking lunch from scratch, and washing everything (kitchen, dishes, dining room) after breakfast and lunch. Her work hours are 10am-3pm.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:07 PM 12-15-2016
An ulu knife. I have two and use them daily. I also use the bowled cutting board you can get with them on the regular.
http://www.theulufactory.com/
-I have the Inupiat Style
laundrymom 03:21 AM 12-16-2016
Knives. Nice big sharp ones. A hefty knife will make chopping so much easier. A good vegetable peeler, kitchen scissors. A big pizza cutter and quality cutting boards. I also love a pizza stone and silpat for baking sheets.
Pyrex dishes w lids, good silicon spatulas and spoonula's, and a nice coffee pot for when the day seems so so long. Lol.
Gemma 04:14 AM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My husband
He is a chef and now works with me. He can chop, dice and slice so quickly!

Maggie 05:31 AM 12-16-2016
I'm going to agree with Baby Beluga and say my ceramic knives are the best gadget in my kitchen. I have had a few pricier knife sets over the years but none compare to the very affordable ceramic ones I have now. I'll never go back.
MissAnn 07:05 AM 12-16-2016
I can't wait to have time to read all of these.....I'll just say I love my instant pot!
daycarediva 10:54 AM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I buy fresh fruits and veggies on the weekend and will wash, peel, cut, dice, etc on the weekend so it is ready for the week. For example each week in my fridge I have:

washed and thinly sliced celery, carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

Washed and cut grapes, pineapple, melon, etc

And I wash and prep salad that I keep in the fridge.

Everything else is kept whole and I wash and prep on an as needed basis. Apples, pears, peaches, berries, etc don't take long to wash and slice.

As far as gadgets go - I have a set of ceramic knives I love. They cut well - almost too well! I've cut myself quite a few times using them

ETA: I also keep cooked shredded or diced chicken in the fridge, hard boiled eggs and I cube and shred cheese to keep in the fridge (I don't like the pre shredded stuff). It makes pulling together a last minute lunch or snack easy.
I do all of this, too!

Crockpot! I put everything from pasta to soup in mine.

I also LOVE the pampered chef press I have. It cuts the crust off the sandwiches and presses them into uncrustable shapes, I pop homemade pb&j uncrustables in the freezer, they take an hour or so to defrost and my daycare kids (and my own kids) love them. I also use it for calzones, mini shepherds pie, etc.
Max 10:10 AM 01-31-2017
Thanks everyone

What does everyone use for dishes and/or placemats for the kids?

I thought deep, divided plates (reusable) would be perfect but can't find any great options..
jenboo 11:15 AM 01-31-2017
Thanks everyone

I thought deep, divided plates (reusable) would be perfect but can't find any great options..
We use corelle plates and bowls.
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 01-31-2017
Thanks everyone

I am in love with these!

https://re-play.com

I do use placemats but we make them and put the outline of each plate, cup and/or silverware goes so the kids know how to set the table

Like this
Attached: IMG_0399.jpg (139.1 KB) 
Max 09:18 AM 02-06-2017
I am in love with these!

https://re-play.com
How well do the utensils hold up?

My son used the colored ones from Ikea and the plastic is pretty flimsy so they got chewed up quickly

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90192962/
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 02-06-2017
How well do the utensils hold up?

My son used the colored ones from Ikea and the plastic is pretty flimsy so they got chewed up quickly

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90192962/
So far so good! I haven't had them for a full year yet but most my kiddos are pretty good about eating and not chewing on utensils and/or cups.

I noticed over the weekend that Walmart actually sells a few colors and sets of these dishes...so yay!
Max 06:39 AM 02-07-2017
So far so good! I haven't had them for a full year yet but most my kiddos are pretty good about eating and not chewing on utensils and/or cups.

I noticed over the weekend that Walmart actually sells a few colors and sets of these dishes...so yay!
Sweet! I'm excited to try them out!!
Sumshine 10:12 AM 02-07-2017
Sweet! I'm excited to try them out!!
I have that entire Ikea set including utensils. I love it but I only ever hand wash the daycare dishes and I haven't noticed any deterioration.

I also only use the plastic Ikea utensils for kids 2 and under. 2+ use a set that I bought at Walmart they have plastic colorful handles But Metal tips and they are a good size for kiddos! The entire set and organizer was under $10!

I had another set of matching dishes I had gone off Amazon back when it was just my son and I and I much prefer the ikea ones! I have a few divider plates I've accumulated from walmart but they are spendy and I don't care for the dividing portion sizes I just prefer to put it all on one plate. I am one of those "no food touches" people so I get it all to fit on the plate in their own sections by habit lol!

I also received a quesadilla maker for Christmas and the Ninja Food Processor. The Ninja food processor is much better than my old hand chopper thing I had and I LOVE my quesadilla maker! I use it every week for the kiddos it is super easy and I like that I can put it together in there and get our side dishes ready while it cooks! Super fast and easy. DH likes it too for himself over the weekend!
Lovatic24 07:29 PM 02-07-2017
Re-play divided plates are also at Target
Tags:gadgets, kitchen, meal preparation
Reply Up