Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe Sleep For Over 1 Yo?
Josiegirl 04:35 PM 09-22-2017
My little one(just turned 1 yo) falls asleep hugging a soft stuffed animal. As soon as she goes to sleep I always sneak in and unwrap it from her arms and take it away. So all she has left is her pacifier. Is it now okay to let her keep it? Also with cooler weather coming, I'm thinking she might need a small lightweight blanket sometimes. Is that okay too? Sorry if I sound stupid but I think I've had safe sleep drilled into me so much that now I'm afraid to give back anything.
Jupadia 04:50 PM 09-22-2017
I let my own little guy have a soft toy after 1. He was also allowed a little lovie since about 8 months by then he was able to fully move around his bed.
I do make sure I'm selective about the soft toy. For example he has a monkey with long arms and legs that dose not spend the night in the crib. I also make sure the soft toy he has has stich ing for eyes not any kind of bead.

While my four year old tends to sleep on a heap of soft toys.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My little one(just turned 1 yo) falls asleep hugging a soft stuffed animal. As soon as she goes to sleep I always sneak in and unwrap it from her arms and take it away. So all she has left is her pacifier. Is it now okay to let her keep it? Also with cooler weather coming, I'm thinking she might need a small lightweight blanket sometimes. Is that okay too? Sorry if I sound stupid but I think I've had safe sleep drilled into me so much that now I'm afraid to give back anything.
Yep! On the day of their first birthday here, they get a blanket!!

Once they are 12 months old they no longer have to follow all the safe sleep rules, although I find it a bit alarming that it's not a transformation verses just an overnight thing...kwim?

I think we should be able to transition them from around 10 months through the 12 month so it's not so abrupt.
Yesterday, child was 11 months. NO blanket. NO soft squishy stuffy, NO pillow. Just the hard firm mattress.

Fast forward 24 hours and suddenly;

Cat Herder 10:51 AM 09-27-2017
12 months for regs.

The reality is that as soon as they can roll, crawl, sit, stand, remove a blanket from their head and throw toys for distance, they should be good with a blanket.

The regs keep it uniform for all levels of known child development found in group care.

To be a stickler, there are adults who can't meet those developmental milestones. Age really should not be the issue so much as the skills needed for the safe management of said items.
Max 07:30 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The reality is that as soon as they can roll, crawl, sit, stand, remove a blanket from their head and throw toys for distance, they should be good with a blanket.
I disagree with that 'reality'. There was a 7 month old who died fairly recently, blanket got wrapped around his head while sleeping. Mom thought blanket was ok b/c he did great with so many developmental milestones. A child may be able to remove a blanket from their head while awake but it's so easy for it to get wrapped around them. They can do it every time, til they can't.

I personally won't introduce blankets til at least 18 months. It's just not necessary IMO. I dress the kiddos nice and warm between 12-18 months, the only thing that changes is the child can have a lovie.
Cat Herder 11:23 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
I disagree with that 'reality'. There was a 7 month old who died fairly recently, blanket got wrapped around his head while sleeping. Mom thought blanket was ok b/c he did great with so many developmental milestones. A child may be able to remove a blanket from their head while awake but it's so easy for it to get wrapped around them. They can do it every time, til they can't.

I personally won't introduce blankets til at least 18 months. It's just not necessary IMO. I dress the kiddos nice and warm between 12-18 months, the only thing that changes is the child can have a lovie.
I used the term and. Not or. A 7 month old would not meet all those milestones.
Max 11:48 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I used the term and. Not or. A 7 month old would not meet all those milestones.
I know you said 'and' but there is no evidence that supports what you said - your statement isn't 'reality' but instead an opinion. I don't understand how 'remove blanket from face' would even be considered a milestone Even if an 11 month old could meet ALL those developmental milestones and then some, a blanket would still be unsafe. He can remove the blanket from his face 100 times til the one night he can't. Why risk it?

FWIW - I'm not trying to attack you. The info you gave (milestones = when a blanket is actually safe) is dangerous. There's a plethora of research that says reality means at least 12 months.
Max 11:54 AM 09-29-2017
I re-read your comment and agree that developmental milestones are more important than actual age for *many* things, but this isn't one of them... Too much data says otherwise. Maybe one day we will have reliable data that tells us otherwise for milestones and safe sleep Until then, there's no way to safely measure what milestones mean a blanket is ok.
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 09-29-2017
Here we can do blankets as long as they're tucked in around the sides and bottom, and only go up to the child's armpits. If the child rolls around and untucks them you can leave them untucked. I think it's a more reasonable rule.
Tags:sleeping positions
Reply Up