Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Regulations vs Practice?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:22 PM 11-01-2016
So as I'm going through regs for licensing for my state (currently I am legally unlicensed) I've came across a few that would seem to "go against" some of the topics and advice I've seen on the forum. Just wondering what your thoughts are on some of these and how you would interpret.

1. Lots of talk lately about setting boundaries with parental involvement, but the reg reads:

-The facility shall encourage parental involvement and allow parents free access to their children, and to all areas of a child care facility used by the children, to observe or participate.

2. Several of the napping discussions mention CIO for the non-napper who wakes up after 15 minutes of sleep and gets even more revved up when you try to go in and encourage them back to sleep, but the reg reads:

- In addition to the requirements in (a) of this section, a facility providing care for infants or toddlers may not routinely leave a child awake in a crib, swing, or similar device for more than 15 minutes without direct adult contact.

Thoughts? I may have more to add later...
Mom2Two 05:04 PM 11-01-2016
You have to go by your state rules, even though they are so different from state to state. We do have a few rules here that don't make total sense, so I do them in a way that does make sense, and my licensors seem to understand.

For example the one where I'm supposed to leave my dck by them selves while I check the big backyard for poop from our small dog. Instead, I keep a pooper scooper out in a tree and check while the dck are on the swings or whatever. Also, they know to tell me when they find a poop.
LostMyMarbles 06:17 AM 11-02-2016
I had a dad who insisted his 3 1/2 year old nap. I mean INSISTED. I told him if I could MAKE a child nap I would be worth millions, correct that, billions, and I would not be doing child care. He blamed his daughters mouth on no nap. Neither mom or I had issues with her. Just dad.

I have younger (1-2 years) kids who nap, and a few (3-4 years) who don't. I personally don't feel that all kids need to nap. I have a rest time for the older kids. While the younger ones nap, the older ones lay down on their nap mats and we put a movie on. I don't yell or encourage them to nap. If they fall asleep, cool, if not, no biggie. If they just want a half hour show, that is cool too. Rest time is also a time they can do manipulatives that are not age appropriate for the 1-2 year olds. I remind them that it is quiet time, and the littles are sleeping. I don't mandate all nap, it is impossible as some just don't need to nap.

I know lots of providers require naps so they can get a break or what ever. I find forced naps to be to stressful on the child and myself. Is the fight really worth it? Not to me.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:09 AM 11-02-2016
On the non-napper part, I was referring to children that would still be young enough for a crib.
daycarediva 09:19 AM 11-02-2016
Ew. Tough regs. Maybe someone from your state can offer advice?

I do not have to allow parents to observe. I would never agree to that. Children act like hooligans with parents around for the most part.

I have a reg about visitors to the child care, and if parents want to stay, they must be there for a purpose and sign in/out, etc. I also have a visitor policy posted, and I give parents copies of this. I think parents prefer that their children not be exposed to strange adults.

My state has regs about a child being forced to lay on a mat for an extended period, I just stagger rest times by age. Eg. right now my 2's are laying down (and all asleep) My 3's and 4's are still up on the carpet doing manipulatives. I will have the 3's lay down closer to 1, and the 4's lay down closer to 1:30-2. Depending on child, need and behavior, too.
midaycare 09:38 AM 11-02-2016
Yes, parents can come watch. But a pafent that wants to come and observe me probably isn't a good fit for my program. They will most likely be termed, or never get a spot in my program.

I also tell dcf's that they are welcome to visit, but it's going to mess around with our lessons for the day. I explain the distruptions it causes to have a parent here.

I honestly don't know what my regs are for CIO. I'm not comfortable with it, so I don't generally do it. Generally. There has been a few times when I needed a break from a screaming, tired baby, and after 15 minutes of crying, they were sleeping.
Gemma 09:54 AM 11-02-2016
I would be ok with some parents observing if I got to choose who and when...but no way I could follow the program, and provide the same care if I had parents around all the time
..Idon't know how long I can hold myself back from puking at all the baby talk
midaycare 09:59 AM 11-02-2016
Yes, parents can come watch. But a pafent that wants to come and observe me probably isn't a good fit for my program. They will most likely be termed, or never get a spot in my program.

I also tell dcf's that they are welcome to visit, but it's going to mess around with our lessons for the day. I explain the distruptions it causes to have a parent here.

I honestly don't know what my regs are for CIO. I'm not comfortable with it, so I don't generally do it. Generally. There has been a few times when I needed a break from a screaming, tired baby, and after 15 minutes of crying, they were sleeping.
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
So as I'm going through regs for licensing for my state (currently I am legally unlicensed) I've came across a few that would seem to "go against" some of the topics and advice I've seen on the forum. Just wondering what your thoughts are on some of these and how you would interpret.

1. Lots of talk lately about setting boundaries with parental involvement, but the reg reads:
I replied separately to both scenarios

-The facility shall encourage parental involvement and allow parents free access to their children, and to all areas of a child care facility used by the children, to observe or participate.
There are many other ways to encourage parental involvement other than having a parent present in the middle of your day.

Parents are ALWAYS welcome to observe THEIR child, they are not allowed to observe other people's children.

A parent that habitually stopped by to hang out would not be offered services here. I provide care and supervision for children not adults.

2. Several of the napping discussions mention CIO for the non-napper who wakes up after 15 minutes of sleep and gets even more revved up when you try to go in and encourage them back to sleep, but the reg reads:

- In addition to the requirements in (a) of this section, a facility providing care for infants or toddlers may not routinely leave a child awake in a crib, swing, or similar device for more than 15 minutes without direct adult contact.
I do not use ANY infant equipment other than a high chair (for eating ONLY) and a mini-crib. I do not leave infants in the crib beyond their nap time. If they are awake, they are on the floor (usually participating in tummy time).

I don't use CIO with anyone.
I expect all kids enrolled to come to me already sleep trained. I know that is not a realistic expectation for everyone but it works for me at this point in my career.
Years ago, I'd have a completely different answer.
LostMyMarbles 10:22 AM 11-02-2016
What is CIO?
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
What is CIO?
Cry it out
Reply Up