Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Monday And I Am Ready To Close Down Shop Right Now Until After The Holidays
Soccermom 07:54 AM 12-16-2013
I had one DCM drop off super quick this morning and on her way out she says - Oh DCG poked her eye this morning so it is a bit red. Talk to you tonight.

A bit red!! Ya right, she has full out pink eye!

Then DCPS that are both NOT working drop their kids off today despite the roads being a mess since we had a huge storm last night. They drop off sleds for the kids to play outside with. I take the kids out and DCB does nothing but scream and cry the entire time!!! Guess he isn't a fan of the snow....now I know why DCPS brought the sleds over. They benefit from the kids getting to use them without having to deal with DCB.

Glad I got to enjoy the first big snow of the season sledding with my DS....not!

Then another DCM shows up. Undresses DCG and on her way out with her hand on the doorknob says - Oh, she was sick with the stomach flu all weekend but is better now. Just a heads up.

DCG ran to the toilet and had explosive diarrhea about 10 minutes ago. Lovely mess to clean up for me.....

I am so done.
Why have kids if you don't want to take care of them!!!?

If the kids weren't so looking forward to the Christmas party and play we prepared I would close for the rest of the week with a fake illness. (I have never done that in the 10 years I've been in the business but I am so fed up!!)

Sorry for the long Monday Vent.
Meyou 08:07 AM 12-16-2013
I would send pick eye girl and poop girl home right away! Hope your day gets better.
LaLa1923 08:15 AM 12-16-2013

I do hope you sent all the sick kids home!! 48 hours minimum....

Hugs to you!
TwinKristi 03:05 PM 12-16-2013
I would send pink eye and diarrhea home ASAP!!
cheerfuldom 07:28 PM 12-16-2013
you kept those two sickies????
Soccermom 04:24 AM 12-17-2013
I did keep them because I am way too nice and I know both their parents really well. I hate calling parents to pick up their kids unless it is an emergency. I am way too soft!

I did tell both parents to keep them home today though and tomorrow they are announcing another big storm so they likely won't be coming tomorrow either.

I probably went through almost an entire bottle of Lysol spray and an entire container of Lysol wipes yesterday.

My own DS is sick with a fever this morning too and super grumpy. He is not in the mood for company at all!
cheerfuldom 06:53 AM 12-17-2013
well I really encourage you to stand firm in your policies. i know you have posted several vent threads and issues recently and I cant help but think things would be better for you if you stop putting up with this sort of thing from the parents. Never feel bad about requiring the parents to actually parent their child. That is not your job! and you are risking more illness for you and your son by keeping them not to mention all the work going into cleaning and sanitizing. you really are making this job harder on yourself than it needs to be.
Msdunny 07:06 AM 12-17-2013
I have had an 'extra' both yesterday and today, and will have another on Thursday. They are my hardest days - everyone seems to act up when there is a new personality in the group.

And my 20 month old dcg has been standing at the gate all morning, crying to be held because she doesn't like the other kids touching, smiling at, or talking to her.

I am sooooo looking forward to my 2 weeks off at Christmas.
Soccermom 07:11 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
well I really encourage you to stand firm in your policies. i know you have posted several vent threads and issues recently and I cant help but think things would be better for you if you stop putting up with this sort of thing from the parents. Never feel bad about requiring the parents to actually parent their child. That is not your job! and you are risking more illness for you and your son by keeping them not to mention all the work going into cleaning and sanitizing. you really are making this job harder on yourself than it needs to be.
I agree Cheerfuldom. I do make things way harder on myself. I think it is because we live in such a small town and I know all the DCPS and our kids will and do all go to school together. It makes it harder to stand firm I guess. I let things go that a daycare provider really shouldn't just to avoid ruffling feathers and causing myself even more stress. Let's not even talk about how much I lose sleep and stress about terming a DCK.

I love your statement about not feeling bad about making a parent actually parent their child. I should post that on my bathroom mirror so I see it every morning before stepping out of my room.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I agree Cheerfuldom. I do make things way harder on myself. I think it is because we live in such a small town and I know all the DCPS and our kids will and do all go to school together. It makes it harder to stand firm I guess. I let things go that a daycare provider really shouldn't just to avoid ruffling feathers and causing myself even more stress. Let's not even talk about how much I lose sleep and stress about terming a DCK.

I love your statement about not feeling bad about making a parent actually parent their child. I should post that on my bathroom mirror so I see it every morning before stepping out of my room.
Try looking at this from a different angle....you live in a small community where everyone knows everyone and everyone cares and respects each other so why would these kind loving caring parents put their child care provider in a situation where she risks getting herself and her family sick because their child is sick or not feeling well?

See kindness and respect go BOTH ways. Their jobs are NO more valuable than yours.

Parents DO need to parent their own child and when their child is sick or needing to be excluded, parents of this small caring community should rush right over and pick up their children because they DO care and they DO respect you and don't want to see you have to deal with anything "icky" anymore than you don't want to see them dealing....kwim?
cheerfuldom 10:40 AM 12-17-2013
Small town living is so annoying. I dont play the local politics and power struggle games. I just do my thing, term who I need to and do my best to remain professional. Life is too short to let things like worrying about gossip or whatever, dictate your life. No wonder you are stressed to the max, sounds exhausting.
Reply Up