Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sanitizing Toys
Luke25 01:01 PM 08-03-2016
How often do you sanitize your toys and what do you use?
I just hate to use bleach on the toys since my little ones put everything in their mouths.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 08-03-2016
Originally Posted by Caseycampbell:
I just hate to use bleach on the toys since my little ones put everything in their mouths.
That's ^^ why you use bleach.

Mixed properly (1:4) using bleach is THE best method of sanitizing.

My state allows bleach alternatives but I would check with your licensing regulations to be sure.

As for how often I sanitize toys....as often as needed I guess. My toddlers have their own space here and dont mingle much with the older kids so it's easier for me to keep mouth toys separated from others.
Second Home 01:45 PM 08-03-2016
I also use bleach and water .

I do a deep clean of everything once a month . And spot clean as needed . I always have a spray bottle mixed with bleach and water handy , it is a quick way to spray and wipe something down .
Controlled Chaos 01:48 PM 08-03-2016
We are required to sanitize toys weekly per licensing. I put anything that can go in the dishwasher in it and wash anything that can go in the washing machine in there. Everything else (few wood toys) get wiped down with Clorox wipes once a week or so. I should make my own bleach solution but I am such a klutz- I spilled bleach a inexcusable amount when I worked at a restaurant I also rotate toys so much that I think that helps, any germs not killed by being washed are dead by the time a toy is cycled back in a month or so later.
Controlled Chaos 01:50 PM 08-03-2016
Oh and to speak to being afraid of bleach being in their mouths- it's all about the correct ratio. My dr. Recommends we put a capful in our daughters baths and plastic wading pool as it will help stop her eczema sores from becoming infected.
Meeko 07:25 PM 08-03-2016
Bathtub. Fill with bleach and hot water and dunk toys. Let sit for a bit. Drain. Toys are dry the next morning and ready to go.
MunchkinWrangler 07:41 PM 08-03-2016
Agree with all the above. It is the safest and best method because it kills everything and when mixed correctly just evaporates and is gone.
Unregistered 03:43 AM 08-04-2016
Clorox wipes

Dishwasher for toys on a regular basis (one group each week) but not toys with labels/stickers.

I wipe down toys with the wipes every couple days. And yes a chemical residue is probably left behind. I HATE bleach and won't use it. I've gotten bleach on my clothes and I hate the smell.

I'm especially careful to wipe off toy phones, dishes, door knobs, etc. things that are touched lots or go into or near the mouth.
Controlled Chaos 07:34 AM 08-04-2016
Question - How do you clean art supplies? Do you? Markers? Crayons? Also - books? I wiped down te outside of all my books yesterday and the pages of the board books. I am eyeing the art supplies though...they were coughed on A TON yesterday
Luke25 11:02 AM 08-04-2016
Thanks everyone! That is very helpful!
I was just nervous to use a harsh chemical on something that goes near the babies mouths. Looks like it's the best thing though.
Scout 02:51 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Bathtub. Fill with bleach and hot water and dunk toys. Let sit for a bit. Drain. Toys are dry the next morning and ready to go.
Meeko, this is brilliant! I never thought of this! Howuch bleach do you add?
Meeko 05:17 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
Meeko, this is brilliant! I never thought of this! Howuch bleach do you add?
I add one cup of bleach to a half filled tub (or enough water to cover the toys). My licensor says that's overkill....but I do it anyway. I rinse with the shower head after I let the water out and then let it all air dry overnight.
Play Care 05:08 AM 08-05-2016
Thanks everyone! That is very helpful!
I was just nervous to use a harsh chemical on something that goes near the babies mouths. Looks like it's the best thing though.
As others have said, when mixed properly it's one of the safest sanitizers out there.
I actually had a bad experience with a "natural" sanitizer when I worked in a group home years ago. Another staff member wound up with severe chemical burns after coming into contact with it. They switched back to bleach after. And a lot of alternative sanitizers haven't been tested to see if they actually work - I'd much rather use something that's proven to work.
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Clorox wipes

Dishwasher for toys on a regular basis (one group each week) but not toys with labels/stickers.

I wipe down toys with the wipes every couple days. And yes a chemical residue is probably left behind. I HATE bleach and won't use it. I've gotten bleach on my clothes and I hate the smell.

I'm especially careful to wipe off toy phones, dishes, door knobs, etc. things that are touched lots or go into or near the mouth.
Please do not use only Clorox wipes to sanitize toys. Clorox wipes may disinfect (they meet 2/3 of the requirements here so we can't use them) but they are not recommended for sanitizing.

The label says that if you use it on a food prep/eating surface or on anything that will be put in mouth, a water rinse is required.

So unless you use the wipe and then rinse, it's dangerous.
Scout 07:28 AM 08-05-2016
I add one cup of bleach to a half filled tub (or enough water to cover the toys). My licensor says that's overkill....but I do it anyway. I rinse with the shower head after I let the water out and then let it all air dry overnight.
Thank you! I had an outbreak of Hand, foot, and mouth go through early summer the week before our family trip to Myrtle Beach! It was very time consuming and annoying to put all toys in dishwasher each night and wash all big ones by hand with bleach water rag. The tub would've made it so much easier! The good thing is my kids didn't get it! We escaped that darn virus
heyhun77 08:09 PM 08-05-2016
Bleach actually breaks down to salt water so really they aren't getting bleach if there is any residue left on toys.

As for Clorox wipes, someone already mentioned that they have to be rinsed after if you use them but they also have a very long contact time which is unrealistic. It's like 15 minutes that they have to stay wet with the solution in the wipes to perform as they say they will. As much as it sucks to use bleach (which I don't want to do use, either) it is the most effective and easiest to use.
Pestle 09:06 AM 08-08-2016
Most of my toys are wooden so I can't soak them. But, sitting and wiping a roomful of toys down justifies a Netflix binge!
Luke25 10:20 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
As others have said, when mixed properly it's one of the safest sanitizers out there.
I actually had a bad experience with a "natural" sanitizer when I worked in a group home years ago. Another staff member wound up with severe chemical burns after coming into contact with it. They switched back to bleach after. And a lot of alternative sanitizers haven't been tested to see if they actually work - I'd much rather use something that's proven to work.
Ok good! Bleach it is!!
Oh that's terrible!! I read you could use hydrogen peroxide on toys and that it was the safest thing but had a bad experience. When I went to put the toys back the next day if they were still wet at all it made my hands burn so bad and left white on them �� I was very thankful I was the one to touch it first!!

I'm new to this and license exempt and haven't done training on cleaning and such so I'm learning as I go! I was a kindergarten teacher so i know a lot about the kid part but the cleaning and business side is all new to me. Sooo thankful for this group.
Luke25 10:22 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Most of my toys are wooden so I can't soak them. But, sitting and wiping a roomful of toys down justifies a Netflix binge!
Haha! Yes for sure!!
MarinaVanessa 10:27 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Question - How do you clean art supplies? Do you? Markers? Crayons? Also - books? I wiped down te outside of all my books yesterday and the pages of the board books. I am eyeing the art supplies though...they were coughed on A TON yesterday
Same ratio of bleach/water as already mentioned and then poured into a spray bottle. Spray the supplies, let air dry.
Technically you can dunk most things into bleach water as well. I do. Things like crayons, colored pencils, paint brushes etc. Markers I spray because I don't want water to get into the caps and onto the felt tips.

Watercolor pants can be sprayed with alcohol which will evaporate completely and won't change the consistency of the paint. Chalk too.
MarinaVanessa 10:34 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Please do not use only Clorox wipes to sanitize toys. Clorox wipes may disinfect (they meet 2/3 of the requirements here so we can't use them) but they are not recommended for sanitizing.

The label says that if you use it on a food prep/eating surface or on anything that will be put in mouth, a water rinse is required.

So unless you use the wipe and then rinse, it's dangerous.
THIS! Also good to keep in mind that another reason not to use "disinfectant" wipes is that in order to properly sanitize/disinfect the solution has to be left on the surface for a minimum of 2 minutes. Otherwise you might not kill everything. When you wipe something with it most of the solution dries up before then.
renodeb 03:21 PM 08-08-2016
My sister in law is dead set against bleach and uses vinegar for a lot of her cleaning. I read that vinegar does not always kill all the germs. I dont know, lots of debate about that I guess.
I use the dishwasher for as much as I can, I rotate the toys through (but not every day) the wash machine for everything that can go in there and I use clorox wipes on whatever needs wiped down on a nightly basis. On the weekend everything gets it! I really think that at least the makers/lids should be cleaned. My kids always chew on the lids. I honestly hate bleach because I have ruined outfits spilling it. I always thought that air drying was the way to evaporate the residue?
Oh I use lysol spray to on the gates and stuff and clorox anywhere spray. I can use whatever kills 99.5% of house germs.
I think the key to bleach solution is proper mixture.
Deb
Pepperth 05:44 PM 08-08-2016
A few months back, I had illness going around the daycare so I bleached all the toys in one day. (Usually I do a section a day and then just redo the toys that were mouthed.) I did it all in the kitchen sink and spent way too long doing so. Then my mom suggested I use the bathtub next time. I was so mad that I didn't think of that.
Mike 06:50 PM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
A few months back, I had illness going around the daycare so I bleached all the toys in one day. (Usually I do a section a day and then just redo the toys that were mouthed.) I did it all in the kitchen sink and spent way too long doing so. Then my mom suggested I use the bathtub next time. I was so mad that I didn't think of that.
Or a laundry tub if you have one. I use my laundry tub for a lot of things, sometimes even laundry.
Play Care 04:26 AM 08-09-2016
I often think there is confusion between sanitizing and cleaning. It sounds as if a lot of people do one or the other, but not both. When I have a lot of "mouthers" I keep a "yuck" bucket on my counter (out of reach of all little hands) filled with the appropriate bleach to water ratio for TOY sanitizing (one gallon of cool water and 1 *teaspoon* bleach) as soon as the mouther is done with that toy, it goes into the yuck bucket. After its left to air dry and put back in circulation. Sanitized, but it's not *clean*
Once a week or so, toys are washed, either run through the dishwasher, washing machine, or scrubbed by hand with water and vinegar. This is what cleans off grubby hand prints and keeps the toys looking their best.
LostMyMarbles 05:17 PM 08-09-2016
I put toys in laundry baskets, and set them in the tub with bleach water. I use lots of Lysol spray and wipes during the day.
LysesKids 06:26 AM 08-10-2016
For sanitizing I use an EPA approved, Hospital grade sanitizer called Benefect; it's spendy but I can spray it on toys, counters etc and walk away, it's a no rinse, non toxic, plant based solution (Thymol). - it's less toxic than vinegar & water & perfect for a group of mouthing babies lol
Controlled Chaos 12:11 PM 08-10-2016
I often think there is confusion between sanitizing and cleaning. It sounds as if a lot of people do one or the other, but not both. When I have a lot of "mouthers" I keep a "yuck" bucket on my counter (out of reach of all little hands) filled with the appropriate bleach to water ratio for TOY sanitizing (one gallon of cool water and 1 *teaspoon* bleach) as soon as the mouther is done with that toy, it goes into the yuck bucket. After its left to air dry and put back in circulation. Sanitized, but it's not *clean*
Once a week or so, toys are washed, either run through the dishwasher, washing machine, or scrubbed by hand with water and vinegar. This is what cleans off grubby hand prints and keeps the toys looking their best.
Doesn't the dishwasher also sanitize due to the temp of the water? And how is not clean after being sanitized? Not being snarky (for once lol), I learned something new about Clorox wipes on this thread and am feeling like I am cleaning wrong all of a sudden
Play Care 12:28 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Doesn't the dishwasher also sanitize due to the temp of the water? And how is not clean after being sanitized? Not being snarky (for once lol), I learned something new about Clorox wipes on this thread and am feeling like I am cleaning wrong all of a sudden

The dishwasher on sanitize would clean and sanitize.
I was talking more about quick sanitizing of toys with bleach or bleach alternatives.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 08-10-2016
Good info here;

https://www.cscinc.org/wp-content/re...ip%20Sheet.pdf

Also:

CLEANING

Cleaning removes germs, dirt, and debris.
Cleaning works by using soap and water to physically remove germs from surfaces.
Cleaning does not necessarily kill germs, but lowers their numbers by removing them. This, in turn, reduces the risk of spreading infection.

DISINFECTING:

Disinfecting kills germs.
Disinfecting uses chemicals to kill germs.
Disinfecting does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces.
By killing germs on a surface after cleaning, disinfecting can further reduce the risk of spreading infection.

SANITIZING:

Sanitizing lowers the number of germs to a safe level (as determined by public health standards or requirements.)
Sanitizing works by either cleaning or disinfecting to lower the risk of spreading infection.
Controlled Chaos 12:46 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good info here;

https://www.cscinc.org/wp-content/re...ip%20Sheet.pdf

Also:

CLEANING

Cleaning removes germs, dirt, and debris.
Cleaning works by using soap and water to physically remove germs from surfaces.
Cleaning does not necessarily kill germs, but lowers their numbers by removing them. This, in turn, reduces the risk of spreading infection.

DISINFECTING:

Disinfecting kills germs.
Disinfecting uses chemicals to kill germs.
Disinfecting does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces.
By killing germs on a surface after cleaning, disinfecting can further reduce the risk of spreading infection.

SANITIZING:

Sanitizing lowers the number of germs to a safe level (as determined by public health standards or requirements.)
Sanitizing works by either cleaning or disinfecting to lower the risk of spreading infection.
Thanks! I have 2 kiddos that are sick all the time (siblings) and I am trying to keep them from getting everyone else sick. I washed every toy 2 times already this week and half the other kiddos are already sick from what the siblings brought Monday ...sorry to hijack the thread I am just trying to get a handle on this - never had much of a problem with illness before. Occasional colds or flus in the winter would hit a few kids, but these are the same ones who have started HFM here, several stomach bugs... its crazy!

I also found this old thread
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69667
That had measurements for bleach in spray bottles which I found helpful - if anyone else wasn't sure.
kitykids3 01:05 PM 08-10-2016
I sanitize every time a LO puts one in their mouth. Well, what I do is I have a 'bleach tub' so kids put them in there and then about once a week I clean them. Sometimes I put them in the dishwasher if plastic. Otherwise I wipe with the bleach water spray and air dry.
Play Care 01:54 PM 08-10-2016
When I was first starting out a seasoned provider gave me her weekly toy cleaning schedule. I lost my original long ago but it was something like:

Monday: wipe down play kitchen, doll houses, all play food and utensils in dishwasher
Tuesday: was all dress up, wipe down dress up bin
Wednesday: little people/cars through dishwasher

And so on and so forth.

Before that I was sanitizing/disinfecting but not really washing
Controlled Chaos 02:01 PM 08-10-2016
When I was first starting out a seasoned provider gave me her weekly toy cleaning schedule. I lost my original long ago but it was something like:

Monday: wipe down play kitchen, doll houses, all play food and utensils in dishwasher
Tuesday: was all dress up, wipe down dress up bin
Wednesday: little people/cars through dishwasher

And so on and so forth.

Before that I was sanitizing/disinfecting but not really washing
I need to make a schedule, that's a good plan. Otherwise it slips my mind and when I rotate toys at the end of the month I am embarrassed by what I missed/failed to clean earlier. I love a good list - so it might keep me honest
Luke25 10:53 AM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
For sanitizing I use an EPA approved, Hospital grade sanitizer called Benefect; it's spendy but I can spray it on toys, counters etc and walk away, it's a no rinse, non toxic, plant based solution (Thymol). - it's less toxic than vinegar & water & perfect for a group of mouthing babies lol
I'll look into that! Thanks!
Tags:sanitizing, toy cleaning
Reply Up